Pre-Amp & Power-Amp or Integrated Amp ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Quickben"]Well, 22 replies and only 1 that attempts to answer my question (thanks, JoelSim
:) [/quote]

Well we like to hi-jack people's thread and use it to talk about silly other thing like cables!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Quickben"]Well, 22 replies and only 1 that attempts to answer my question (thanks, JoelSim :) ). [/quote]

Plenty of relevant advices on first page Gary. Look again.

[quote user="Quickben"]What is
the audible difference between a integrated amp and a pre/power combo
?[/quote]

Plenty, if you can hear them. A pre/power combo would give you (assuming the same product line):

A better stereo separation and sound image

Cleaner sound (less interference due to physical separation of circuits)

Ability to upgrade to more powerful power-amps without changing the pre

That said, use a bad interconnect and all the advantages would be gone.

A

Anonymous

hey thaiman, nice to see someone can appreciate my take on this matter. hope i havent made a bad impression with regards to that other thread and a certain other member.
with regards to the actual topic here im surprise no-one has mentioned intergrated with a "dual-mono" setup(think NAD's M3) - unfortunately i have no experience with them but i would think they are a noteworthy consideration in deciding what amp/amp combo to choose?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I've seen a picture took inside the M series and "WOW what a tranformer!" Shame I can't format my post other wise I would post the pic on the forum for you.

Only problem with buying high end NAD is to do with the resale value. The brand has been known for high quality budget range amps for over 2 decade so the Hifi snope (many out there....me included!) normally turn their nose at their reference class! I can't remember exactly which model of Nad (might be one of the silver line range) which has the same design and components under the lid as the High end company -Gryphon. However the Nad fetch a thoundsand pounds less than the Gryphon when come the trade in time! all imo.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Quickben"]Well, 22 replies and only 1 that attempts to answer my question (thanks, JoelSim
:) [/quote]

Well we like to hi-jack people's thread and use it to talk about silly other thing like cables![/quote]

Mmmmm......
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

oh yeah, wasnt suggesting that he goes and buys an M3, 3 grand is a lot of money! what i was suggesting is perhaps there is a 3rd horse in this traditional 2 horse race? i was wondering whether anyone here has any experience with this or other "dual-mono's" and has compared them to like priced intergrated or pre/power combos... Andrew?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts