Pre-Amp & Power-Amp or Integrated Amp ?

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Which is the better option ? What are the benefits of the one over the other ? I'm torn between getting an Arcam CD73/A90+P90 setup or a Marantz SA-15S1/PA-15S1 combo. Obviously, the best option would be for me to go and audition them in-turn, but I'd like an idea of what to expect. Thank you Gary.

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
I know I'm going against the grain (in present company), but I don't like mixing manufacturers. My hifi is as much a part of the decoration of my living room as my 3ftx2ft photo of Paris at night. I would only mix makes if my kit was in a cupboard out of sight (which it isn't). So does anyone have any input ?

A

Anonymous

You could also consider a Cambridge Audio system. Or Creek EVO.

A

Anonymous

go down to superfi in camdentown ( if you live in london that is ) they are selling advance acustic power and pre amp i was very imresssed and already own the power amp with the pre amp on the way p.s. pre power combo is always gonna give you better sound then inegrated at the same price level

A

Anonymous

[quote user="sex"] p.s. pre power combo is always gonna give you better sound then inegrated at the same price level[/quote]

I really don't think this is true. It becomes true the more you spend.

A

Anonymous

wat i mean is same price per component e.g. a £500 power amp with a £500 pre amp will always sound better then a £500 integrated stereo amp the price is equal per component but it obviously doubles as a you need two machines

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew, from your experience...Does the preout from integrated amp sound as good as dedicated pre amp (same model ie pre out from MF A5 integratedVS MF A5 pre)?? Thx

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Close, but the pre will almost always sound better, simply because the dedicate preamp is optimised to its task, whereas the integrated is going to be compromised to some degree.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thank you

Another one, Which of the pre/power contribute most to the sound? ie I like my Densen320XS (just got it) for very hard hitting sound but I wish for a little bit more soundstage and natural sound. Would the right preamp bring me closer to what I wanted? or Densen power will sound like that no matter which pre I am using? Thx

A

Anonymous

Most significant advantages of an integrated amp are:

1. No matching required
2. Interconnects between pre/power is eliminated (don't think these are insignificant)

But then again, if you are spending GBP 2000 then you must consider separates.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys.
I have a pre-power set-up. There
is an interesting approach you can take which I found sounds much better. That is to position the power amps close to
the speakers and use very short speaker cables and much longer interconnects. My speaker cables are just 1m long and the
interconnects are 3m back to the pre. The
monoblocks are on individual DIY stands.

I was amazed at how much better my system
sounds in this configuration. But I don't
know why this should the case (although two other people have independently
told me this is the best configuration).
I'm not using fancy cables. In
fact I'm using cheaper cable now than in my previous conventional set-up where
all the kit was in one place. Do any of
the What Hifi gurus know the technical reasons for this?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
See, perfect sense - a £1000 amplifier combination will always sound better than a £500 integrated amp.

A point well worth making, I feel...

[/quote]

ROFL!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="papagano"]

Hi Guys.
I have a pre-power set-up. There
is an interesting approach you can take which I found sounds much better. That is to position the power amps close to
the speakers and use very short speaker cables and much longer interconnects. My speaker cables are just 1m long and the
interconnects are 3m back to the pre. The
monoblocks are on individual DIY stands.

I was amazed at how much better my system
sounds in this configuration. But I don't
know why this should the case (although two other people have independently
told me this is the best configuration).
I'm not using fancy cables. In
fact I'm using cheaper cable now than in my previous conventional set-up where
all the kit was in one place. Do any of
the What Hifi gurus know the technical reasons for this?

[/quote]

Well shorter cable lengths are better full stop. Could be that your interconnects are way better than your speaker wire.

A

Anonymous

Well there is the old hifi adage: Q- "How
do you improve on the most expensive interconnect in the world?" A- "Cut it in
half!".

But no, my interconnects and speaker cable
are very similar, from the same manufacturer and price level. I think the likely reason is that the wire connection
from the power amp to the speaker causes the greatest sound quality degradation,
so the shortest length possible is best.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Well shorter cable lengths are better full stop. [/quote]

For only 1 reason, they are cheaper to buy! Can't tell the different between a 0.5 metre pair and 2 Metre pair myself.

A

Anonymous

It may be down to the line driving
capabilities of the components. When
connecting a CD player (say) to an amp, the shortest interconnect seems best -
I have 0.5m wires in my system. But with
the pre to power connection, several meters seems to make very little discernible
difference. I guess it must depend on
the capabilities of the pre, but I been told of people who have up to about 8m
with no problems.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can't wait until I get a couple of Musical Fidelity Superchargers to test this theory out...oh well here's to dreaming for a couple of years before I can justify it to the other half

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some very purist comments here, I can see the logic of shorter the better but in practice that count! I am not the one for Hifi rules, like a user name of a new forum's member...ifitsoundgood!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, those new MF thingies - that's an interesting
point. They also seem to be going for
the 'put the power amps as close to the speaker as possible' idea. There's also the active-speaker concept - I know
there are other advantages in coupling the power amp to the speaker, but eliminating
the speaker cable altogether must be a key one.

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Well, 22 replies and only 1 that attempts to answer my question (thanks, JoelSim :) ). I only mentioned the Marantz/Arcam to illustrate my choices, my actual question was: What is the audible difference between a integrated amp and a pre/power combo ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Quickben"]Well, 22 replies and only 1 that attempts to answer my question (thanks, JoelSim :) ). I only mentioned the Marantz/Arcam to illustrate my choices, my actual question was: What is the audible difference between a integrated amp and a pre/power combo ?[/quote]

better everything realy, a preamplifier is an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing the function of a preamp is to amplify a low level signal to line-level,and to control volume and inputs so removing this froom the power amp improves alot of things( bass treble clarity sound stage the lot) that's due to less interference with the eletronic conponents from the power amp am i correct Andrew?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts