Pre amp or a new amp

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
About 3 years I ditched my cds and brought a Marantz mcr 510 and Zensor 5 speakers. I listen to Spotify premium and the inplayer radio app from my I pad mini via airplay. I've no complaints about the sound although I have thought about upgrading.

Recently we have decided to start playing some vinyl again so we need to get a a turntable. We are thinking of Rega rp1 or project essential 3, the question I have is, would I be better buying a pre amp for the Marantz or buying a new amp that has a phono stage and air play capabilities. I'm thinking maybe something like the Yamaha nr602 or nad c338 or would I be better buying an amp like the rega brio to use the phono stage and buying something that would allow me to stream Spotify through it.

Any my thoughts would be appreciated.

Gonepostal said:
About 3 years I ditched my cds and brought a Marantz mcr 510 and Zensor 5 speakers. I listen to Spotify premium and the inplayer radio app from my I pad mini via airplay. I've no complaints about the sound although I have thought about upgrading.

Recently we have decided to start playing some vinyl again so we need to get a a turntable. We are thinking of Rega rp1 or project essential 3, the question I have is, would I be better buying a pre amp for the Marantz or buying a new amp that has a phono stage and air play capabilities. I'm thinking maybe something like the Yamaha nr602 or nad c338 or would I be better buying an amp like the rega brio to use the phono stage and buying something that would allow me to stream Spotify through it.

Any my thoughts would be appreciated.

Your thoughts on a phono preamp would obviously be the cheapest option

Since you may have last looked at turntables, several more modestly priced models are now supplied complete with step up preamps, so they would plug straight into your Marantz receiver. Although I'd not consider if you were starting on the wholesale upgrade, it might be the best solution for your present system. Project, Audio Technica and Sony all have models widely sold through Richer Sounds.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really thinking along the lines of TT with in built phono stages. I'm thinking more of starting to listen almost exclusively to vinyl, I know it sounds strange. I love the simplicity of Spotify but after being a premium subscriber for approx 3 years I'm thinking I've spent over £300 and don't really have anything to show for it.

Do do you think the Marantz with a pre amp would sound better than say the Yamaha with its phono stage ?

Gonepostal said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really thinking along the lines of TT with in built phono stages. I'm thinking more of starting to listen almost exclusively to vinyl, I know it sounds strange. I love the simplicity of Spotify but after being a premium subscriber for approx 3 years I'm thinking I've spent over £300 and don't really have anything to show for it.

Do do you think the Marantz with a pre amp would sound better than say the Yamaha with its phono stage ?

In that case I would advise the Rega amp or others and a simple streamer for when you do want to use Spotify.

TRENDING THREADS