PP, Have you demoed a Naim NAIT 5i/2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
O god, i ve got the day off tomorrow - Derby not far from Lincoln........

Could always A/B dem the 5i & XS

You can then post your findings on the "is an expensive amp worth it?" thread. :bounce:

stevebrock said:
BTW PP - at least you know im not a die hard Rega Fan Boy!

Please don't take this wrong but...

When you first looked at upgrading the Marantz you seemed to be gravitating towards Rega. Bit by bit. First you had the Rega Dac connected to a Marantz CDP and loved it. Shortly after you dispensed with the Marantz and purchased the Apollo-R and connected the Dac to that.... and so it went on...

In all honesty I don't believe you're looking for better but something that's different. As I pointed out the other night if you had stuck the Rega dac, RP6 and RS3 to your initial Marantz the difference would almost be undetectable.

At some point you have to say "STOP. Enough is enough.

By the same token if the Leema had only been available at £1200 I wouldn't have it now. Nothing detrimental to the Leema but I couldn't/can't afford a £1200 component.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Oh Gawd Steve , remember nag nag nag ?. Best upgrade without spending 1500 quid mate. Think on once the Stella has passed through yer system.

;) .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I have heard the voice of reason!

0% offer on my credit card has finished too - but I have a head start in my amp fund - so maybe Xmas

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

0% offer on my credit card has finished too - but I have a head start in my amp fund - so maybe Xmas

I have changed my mind. Although the Nait 5i-2 is an excellent amp, I can see that you are already planning to launch from that into the Nait XS and then what? A Naim DAC, a Naim power supply for the XS?

Your credit card will be in tatters and Christmas dinner will be a Turkey burger and a mince pie!

This is one of the reasons (apart from the clutter and wires and looks and inflexibility) that I downsized from an all Naim system to something far less upgradeable. At the time I actually had the cash (company bonus + about £2K from sale of Naim stuff) to not need to harass my credit card, but I got fed up with it all and stepped off the wheel.

Instead I bought the Marantz (the best hi-fi purchase of my life so far), a brand new TV, some new furniture, some decoration, a nice holiday and banked the rest.

I can't be party to encouraging you to buy more upgrades to what (to many) is already an enviable system if it's going to shag your finances.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I dont really use credit cards with interest tbh, only if there is a deal on!

I am out of work at the minute, however I got an extemely good redundancy package which has afforded me a few luxuries in the form of my RP6 & RS3 speakers - a year ago I would of never dreamed of a £1k TT also settled all my unsecured debt which it such a massive weight off my shoulders. Put some money by for my daughter etc etc.

Going back to basics......I am just going to enjoy what is a very nice system (with the Elicit would be awesome) for a while then I guess I will appreciate an amp upgrade further down the road!

Right Im off to play some vinyl.......love it

BTW I have a new job starting September so I ve had some qaulity time with the missus & daughter!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Nice one... everyone's happy!

I think Chebby is right, when it comes to Naim, as good a gear as it is, the upgrade path is never ending and a recepie for strife. So save your pennys for the amp you really want, the Rega Elicit.

Mac

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:

I am out of work at the minute, however I got an extemely good redundancy package which has afforded me a few luxuries in the form of my RP6 & RS3 speakers - a year ago I would of never dreamed of a £1k TT also settled all my unsecured debt which it such a massive weight off my shoulders. Put some money by for my daughter etc etc.

Going back to basics......I am just going to enjoy what is a very nice system (with the Elicit would be awesome) for a while then I guess I will appreciate an amp upgrade further down the road!

BTW I have a new job starting September so I ve had some qaulity time with the missus & daughter!

:beer:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Steve – make the most of your time now. I’ve been made redundant a few times - on one extended period I really got into cooking, which has had such a positive effect on the way we live.

I really enjoy my Rega kit, and my obvious upgrades are a Brio R and RS3 speakers, so I am very envious of your set up. I’ve demoed the RS3’s at home previously before deciding to purchase HC equipment last year.

My point is that although my wife agreed that the RS3’s sounded better than my mission’s (and she loved the look of them), she questioned whether the improvement was worth £780. I agreed really, as sometimes you have to consider the other things/commitments going on in your life. In contrast, it was much easier to ‘sell’ the benefits of home cinema, so I ended up spending a lot more than £780 – but for something that we could both enjoy.

Although it’s quite entertaining following your upgrade journey, I’d also say to enjoy what you’ve got for a while.:beer:

matthewpiano

I can identify with so much that is being said here and on balance I do actually agree - you have a great system Steve. If we are not careful we fail to get the value out of our purchases because we move them on so quickly.

I'm at a crucial turning point myself. I have been thinking my amp the weak point in my system and considering purchases to resolve this. However, last night I listened to vinyl for the first time in a while and it sounded stunning which suggests to me the amp (and speakers) might just be fine and that actually the CD player is potentially the weak point. The Roksan should be due back from repair in due course so when it returns I think I will try it again in place of the DCD720AE and see what happens.

Failing tht, a return to Arcam seems quite likely for me - lots of qualities for the music I enjoy, and sins of omission rather than glaring problems. There has to be an end-stop somewhere in all this.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Steve,

Do what you feel is right, however there is nothing wrong with being curious and taking a listen in the demo room to get a flavour.

You can decide if it is worth persuing or not then.

BTW I preferred my Nait 5i-2 with my setup (pre CD5XS) over the Nait XS. I was more impressed with the Nait XS at demo compared to Nait 5i-2 however which shows how much your own listening room affects things as well as time to reflect.

The Nait 5i-2 is not upgradable either :) So I plan on sticking with it!

New Neat Motive SX or new Nait 5i perhaps in the future.......... For now I have found a balanced and very enjoyable system that plays all CDs sooo musically without being hard to listen to. Getting the source right has made all the difference in my case.

Ambrose

stevebrock said:

Your current system is a fabulous example at any price. Do you know the end game or do you have a system that would make you stop upgrading?

Some posters take the piss out of me because I take ages to purchase a component. There's a good reason for that, and nothing directly to do with money: How often do I change any of my components? My end game, unless I win the lottery, is the Pulse and the challenge is for me to get the sources to similar standard, already started with the CDP.

Enjoy your kit. Enjoy life.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with listening to gear is it will tempt, just like that Rega amp. you had no intention of buying. Once I have bought the system thats it. Forums don't help much either.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Demo's Grrrrrrrrr!

Was happy with my RS1, but you lot kept telling me speakers, speakers, speakers so I hold you lot responsbile!

Picked up my RP6, while I was there waiting for cart to be fitted had a listen to some Dreamcatchers, RS3 - was sold on the RS3, had some home demos of Excite X12 and R100s - the RS3 were the best in my Lounge so I have some keepers!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
boggit said:
mitch65 said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Am i being told off!

Yeah I know you are all right!

To be honest my RS3s are just starting to sound really good too and if I am honest pretty happy with my system at the min!

Anyway - Floyd has very kindly lent me a Dynavector 10x5 to try out so will fit it tomorrow!

Most definitely. take the wife out for great slap-up meal and book a holiday and surprise her.

Not being told off, believe me it's the voice of reason that sits at the back of your mind. You know it speaks the truth but you just can't help yourself.........I'm still there and I rely on my wife to be the back up to that voice of reason, it doesn't always work but I'm better than I was. :grin:

The voice of reason you're so right I had this for 9ish months before I got my Leema and DB1i. Mines a year old from eBay seller who happened to live 2 mins from me, there was another one on eBay recently for £650 starting bid did not sell for about 5 relists I still have the user name if you want to contact him.

Steve I really think you should get the Rega! Looks fantastic and this is part of what this hobby is about, you did sell your bike!

Should be receiving a Leema Elements amp next week for a demo, guys got one with the dac, one without a dac so thought I'd give the dac one a go and see what improvement that has over the rDac :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts