Power protection in an apartment without a ground

yorktronic

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

First post on here, and I'm sure this may have been asked before so I apologize if that's the case (I didn't find anything in my searches). I currently live in an older apartment that doesn't have any grounded outlets (even the three pronged outlets we have aren't actually grounded). My fiance finally let me set my hifi gear up in the TV room, and I'm somewhat concerned about the power in the apartment, as I've had one LCD TV mainboard fried when I moved in, and my Marantz 2275's power supply has an issue after I plugged it in when setting it up over the weekend. Both these events could be coincidental, but I'd like to avoid taking any chances. I also have a Luxman PD-277 w/ a grado blue cartridge that I would really like to protect.

So, I'm looking for advice on a way to protect my gear from surges, spikes, and brown outs, operating under the constraint that I don't have a ground. Let's assume for a moment that I can't modify a surge protector or other three pronged device to connect to the screw in the metal case of the wall outlet that might be grounded, as I havent tested if that is the case yet.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure i have ever heard of ungrounded mains, if you mean no installed Earth (green/yellow). If you are in the UK, I'd strongly advise asking an electrician. If you are elsewhere, I regret I have no idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_(UK)#Earthing

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you live in The Repulic of Ireland ? I seem to remember a conversation many years ago where it was said only the top floor is grounded there , there was a reason given but I dont remember what it was.

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts