Power on indicator blinks - Yamaha A-S500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I received my first Hi-Fi system yesterday but I couldn't manage to make it work. The system consists of a Yamaha A-S500 amp and Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. I used Atlas Equator 2.0 OFC cables for wiring the speakers.

What happens is that when I press the power on button the indicator blinks for exactly 30 seconds. After this it lights up dimly lit. None of the input indicators lights up though. According to the manual dimly lit indicates the standby mode. But when I press the power button on the remote control to power it on the same things happen.

I'm disappointed with the manuals of both of the products. There is no wiring instructions in the speakers' manual. As this is my first time it took several trials to wire the speakers properly. Also there isn't much operating instructions in amp's manual. I'm sure it's quite easy for most of you but somehow I managed to run into these problems.

I'd be really glad if you could help.

Thanks a lot

John Duncan

The fact that you're saying that you've had wiring problems with the speakers suggests that you haven't yet wired them up correctly and the amp is cutting out to protect itself.

Before we start to wire them up correctly, have you got banana plugs on the ends of your speaker cable or are you using bare wire?

A

Anonymous

I also have a yamaha a-s500. Try plugging it in to the mains without connecting anything.When you press the power button you should hear a click after a couple of seconds and the power and input lights should come on. Then try connecting the cables.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Have you got the speaker cable wired to the correct terminal on the back of the amp and speaker? Have you traced the cable to make sure the + is going to + and - to-? It should indicate on the cable which side is which with a sign, or as with my speaker cable the plus side has the qed logo on it. Also with the Yamaha amp you need to leave it until you hear a click before pushing the power on button on the remote.

A

Anonymous

I checked the cable and the connection but couldn't see any problem. There is no + or - sign on the cable but one lead is red and the other is white. I used red as + and white as -

I can hear the click but it starts blinking just after the click.

John Duncan

Contrary to the advice above, *don't* try to connect the cables after turning the power on (bang)...

Make sure the impedance selector on the back panel is set to 'High' and power management 'on', and the speaker wires are connected + to red and - to black from amp to speaker terminals. Make sure you're using the top set of speaker outputs marked 'A' on the amp, and make sure the speaker selector is set to 'A' only on the front panel. Make sure your speaker wire connections are clean with no stray wires that could touch and short the amp out (bang). Then try turning the power on.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JezBaker:I also have a yamaha a-s500. Try plugging it in to the mains without connecting anything.When you press the power button you should hear a click after a couple of seconds and the power and input lights should come on. Then try connecting the cables.

I would always recommend connecting/disconnecting speakers with the power off. (Especially if using bare wire like the OP)

Only power it back on once everything has been checked and looks correct. (Tightness of terminals, no stray copper strands etc.)

A

Anonymous

I thought that as well. I've just tried it but the same things happened. do I need to power it off, wait for 30 min and try again later? I could see similar instructions in the manual of the amp. I'm also not sure when I need to follow this procedure.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Power off and then disconnect your cables.

Pop out to Maplins (or your local hifi dealership*) with your cables and get them terminated with banana plugs at both ends. (Our local Maplin and my local Audio-T both have facilities for soldering them on for a small charge.)

Even with the banana plugs you should still connect the cables whilst the amp is off.

Then try again.

*If your local dealer is the same place you got the amp, then take that along too.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I always power the amp off before trying anything, thanks for reminding me though.

A

Anonymous

I have to leave for about 2 hours so I won't be able to check the forum. Thank you all very much for your quick replies.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Contrary to the advice above, *don't* try to connect the cables after turning the power on (bang)...Make sure the impedance selector on the back panel is set to 'High' and power management 'on', and the speaker wires are connected + to red and - to black from amp to speaker terminals. Make sure you're using the top set of speaker outputs marked 'A' on the amp, and make sure the speaker selector is set to 'A' only on the front panel. Make sure your speaker wire connections are clean with no stray wires that could touch and short the amp out (bang). Then try turning the power on.

Sorry, what i wrote was a bit misleading. i meant just try to turn it on and see if the power light comes on, after disconnect everything and connect the speaker cables then turn it on again

A

Anonymous

It's finally working.

I took it to the store and we tried it there; tt worked without a problem. I asked them to test it with just the power cable plugged in and that worked as well. One of the guys asked me to try it by plugging it directly to the mains. I was using a regular power extension before. When I came home I tried that and it worked.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me here. I'm going to enjoy it now!

Bye

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
sempsteen:One of the guys asked me to try it by plugging it directly to the mains. I was using a regular power extension before. When I came home I tried that and it worked.

Bin that extension and get a new one.

I use a 'regular' extension block, and have used many such in the past. Never had the sort of problem you described (power light on amp going on and off) with any of them.

(I am assuming you don't tend to plug in kettles or irons or electric heaters on the extension!)

A

Anonymous

Yeah I think I should bin it! I've got a Monster brand surge protector that I use for my TV. I tried the amp on it and I haven't had any issue. By the way I'm really pleased with the amp and the speakers. They look cool and the sound is amazing.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts