Power hungry!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I’d not given it a thought before but just caught sight of the smart meter while I’m listening to some tunes

Jeez! This amplifier Likes it’s juice

Time for a wind turbine on the roof I think.
well when you own a big amplifier it’s a bit like owning a V8 so it will drink the juice

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:
I’d not given it a thought before but just caught sight of the smart meter while I’m listening to some tunes

well when you own a big amplifier it’s a bit like owning a V8 so it will drink the juice

it certainly is, but plenty of smiles per gallon or kWh!

iceman16

bigfish786 said:

Same as my AMS 35i. It sucks 330w continuous*shok*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Specs and the rear panel say 220watts max. The torroidal under that screening can does not seem to be huge but the amps seems to make up with good sized power supply electrolytics.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
At normal listening levels my smart meter shows my amp using 1p per hour, that's about the same as my fridge freezer.
I'll have to cramk it up a bit to see what it uses then, not something I'd paid attention to before really

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
with the wick turned up?

Pure class A uses the same amount of power regardless of volume level. The power is either dissipated in the amp's heatsinks as heat, or is used to drive the speakers (where it also ends up as heat). They are dreadfully inefficient, and at low output level run at sub 5% efficiency.

For audio, class D reigns supreme - efficiencies are up in the 90% area. Thats why it is the most popular design for audio ampfliers.

abacus

andyjm said:
steve_1979 said:
with the wick turned up?

For audio, class D reigns supreme - efficiencies are up in the 90% area. Thats why it is the most popular design for audio ampfliers.

Class D is still some way behind in popularity compared to Class AB when it comes to power amplifiers, due to the fact that it is difficult to design a good one.

Bill

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
steve_1979 said:
with the wick turned up?

Pure class A uses the same amount of power regardless of volume level. The power is either dissipated in the amp's heatsinks as heat, or is used to drive the speakers (where it also ends up as heat). They are dreadfully inefficient, and at low output level run at sub 5% efficiency.

I thought he was refering to his Marantz PM14S1SE. Is that a pure class A?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
andyjm said:
steve_1979 said:
with the wick turned up?

Class D is still some way behind in popularity compared to Class AB when it comes to power amplifiers, due to the fact that it is difficult to design a good one.

Bill

From the narrow perspective of home Hifi separates you would be correct, but overall the number of class D amps dwarfs everything else. Every mobile phone, every car radio, iPad, laptop, TV all use class D. There must be millions made every week.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
If you add my pre and power amps ( pre 30 watts mono's 230 watts ) together they use 260 watts at idle (no load or signal) and up to 2 kw at full power.

Is is worth it ? , a resounding yes !

I don't have a smart meter but I would guess they cost me a few hundred a year in juice, still worth it though for what sounds like almost unlimited power and control conbined with stunning delicacy and detail *biggrin*

This is one monoblock, check out the radiators ,---- I mean heatsinks. *smile*

And there was me worrying about the 9 watts my AVI speakers draw when left on with no music playing. *biggrin*

Then again I sould probably bother more about my girlfriends habit of boiling the kettle then sitting down at Faceook and forgetting it for half an hour before reboiling it again and forgetting about it again for another half hour... and so the cycle continues.

steve_1979 said:
andyjm said:
steve_1979 said:
with the wick turned up?

I thought he was refering to his Marantz PM14S1SE. Is that a pure class A?

not sure what class the amp is to be honest, but i had it on at a decent (saturday evening) level, popped to get a beer from the fridge and saw the meter in the red!

its not so bad during the day, as the solar panels are helping it along.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you add my pre and power amps ( pre 30 watts mono's 230 watts ) together they use 260 watts at idle (no load or signal) and up to 2 kw at full power.

Is is worth it ? , a resounding yes !

I don't have a smart meter but I would guess they cost me a few hundred a year in juice, still worth it though for what sounds like almost unlimited power and control combined with stunning delicacy and detail *biggrin*

This is one monoblock, check out the radiators ,---- I mean heatsinks. *smile*

180r_zps43935f56.jpg

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
not sure what class the amp is to be honest, but i had it on at a decent (saturday evening) level, popped to get a beer from the fridge and saw the meter in the red!

its not so bad during the day, as the solar panels are helping it along.

Typical power consumption of the PM-14S1SE is about 50 Watt at normal listening levels with a maximum of about 320 Watt for full power output.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A friend of mine is mining krypto currency

https://flic.kr/p/24P1ngQ

1.2kw (each rig) 24/7 and that window has to stay open, day and night. That's now with an average outside temperature of perhaps 5c. I did wonder why all those tropical birds sit on his roof :)

There you thought you had anything to worry about ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Yeah Bitcoin mining required a crazy amount of electric. Iceland has become a popular place for bitcoin mining due to the low temperature which aids cooling of the computers. The country is on the verge of running out of power because the miners now use as much electric as all the homes put together! By the end of the year it's estimated that Bitcoin mining centres will demand around 840 gigawatt hours of electricity while homes require around 700 gigawatt hours per year.

There's no sign of these trends changing either. All that waisted energy for something that doesn't even physically exist. How can that possibly work out well for the human race in the long run? Madness!

Agree

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Yeah Bitcoin mining required a crazy amount of electric. Iceland has become a popular place for bitcoin mining due to the low temperature which aids cooling of the computers. The country is on the verge of running out of power because the miners now use as much electric as all the homes put together! By the end of the year it's estimated that Bitcoin mining centres will demand around 840 gigawatt hours of electricity while homes require around 700 gigawatt hours per year.

There's no sign of these trends changing either. All that waisted energy for something that doesn't even physically exist. How can that possibly work out well for the human race in the long run? Madness!

I has also cause a shortage and a rapid increase in price of the latest and best graphics cards.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/26/16936984/graphics-card-gpu-prices-nvidia-amd-cryptocurrency-mining-stores

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Bitcoin mining requires a crazy amount of electric. Iceland has become a popular place for bitcoin mining due to the low temperature which aids cooling of the computers. The country is on the verge of running out of power because the miners now use as much electric as all the homes put together! By the end of the year it's estimated that Bitcoin mining centres will demand around 840 gigawatt hours of electricity while homes require around 700 gigawatt hours per year.

There's no sign of these trends changing either. All that wasted energy for something that doesn't even physically exist. How can that possibly work out well for the human race in the long run? Madness!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
I has also cause a shortage and a rapid increase in price of the latest and best graphics cards.

Tell me about it. :(

I was all set to replace my ancient gaming rig at the start of this year but after the price rises I've decided to wait a while and I'll consider a new PC later this year or next year now. It all worked out for the best though because I've bought a Nintendo Switch instead (absolutely love Zelda BTW) and found that I much prefer gaming while lying in bed rather than sitting in a chair.

Gray

...my washing machine. Switched off, but still plugged in = 8 watts consumption. Who knew? Who'd care? It's only 8 watts after all.

I've put an easily accessible (20A, DP) switch before its socket. May only be 8 watts, but when it's off (the majority of the time) I want it using no electricity.

Off means off, not 8 Watts for 8000+ hours per year (x8 years so far)

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hahaha mad some of these power draws.
Always confuses me though.
My LS50Ws have 230watts each per channel.
I imagine they only use the full 460w together when really blasting out?
They must use less juice at lesser volumes surely?

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
That marantz amp should not be putting your smart meter in the red, only my kettle and george foreman grill do that and both over a 1000w,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts