Power Cable question.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Need some advice on a power cable. I've been given one to test out by a new accessories company trying to sell there gear in the store i work at.

The power cable is 250v 15amp but my equipment is 230v 10amp. I'm not to clue'y with the power side of things and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to turn my amplifier into a sizzling pile of scrap metal.

To my knowledge the voltage doesn't matter but i'm unsure about the current.

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

Peter Foate:
The power cable is 250v 15amp but my equipment is 230v 10amp.

The voltage is not the issue but the ampers of the fuse is a concern. I would seriously change the fuse, it is 10 amp's for a reason. Would hate to read that you fried your amp because the fuse never blew.
emotion-8.gif

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Peter

Power cables are rated and obviously the one you have is rated at 250V 15A. However if your amplifier is rated at 230V 10A then I would highly recommend that you make sure that the maximum rating of fuse fitted to the power cable is 10A. If you fit anything higher (e.g., a 13A) then your amplifier will not be protected from overloads or faults. Should such an event occur and there is a 13A fuse in the plug then serious damage could result.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Darren

daveh75

Peter Crosby:Peter Foate:

The voltage is not the issue but the ampers of the fuse is a concern. I would seriously change the fuse, it is 10 amp's for a reason. Would hate to read that you fried your amp because the fuse never blew.
emotion-8.gif
The fuse in the plug isn't there to protect the equipment!

It's there to protect the cable,and the user from it should a fault occur.The amp should have internal projection to prevent damage.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:Peter Crosby:Peter Foate:

emotion-8.gif

It's there to protect the cable,and the user from it should a fault occur.The amp should have internal projection to prevent damage.

Hi

Unfortunately not all amplifiers are protected by internal fuses (although the majority are). Of course if the amplifier is protected by an internal fuse then indeed the fuse in the power cable protects the cable. In which case a 13A fuse could be fitted (since the cable is rated at 15A). Without checking this a 10A fuse is the safest option since Peter stated his amplifier was rated at 10A.

Peter - which amplifier is this?

Best regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

It's the musical fidelity M6i.

Appreciate all your info!!

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Peter Foate:
It's the musical fidelity M6i.

Appreciate all your info!!

Hi Peter

The manual states to use a 13A fuse. Since the power cable is rated at 15A there will be no problem fitting a 13A fuse in the plug.

Hope this helps.

Darren

A

Anonymous

clearer_audio:daveh75:Peter Crosby:Peter Foate:

emotion-8.gif

HiUnfortunately not all amplifiers are protected by internal fuses (although the majority are). Of course if the amplifier is protected by an internal fuse then indeed the fuse in the power cable protects the cable. In which case a 13A fuse could be fitted (since the cable is rated at 15A). Without checking this a 10A fuse is the safest option since Peter stated his amplifier was rated at 10A.Peter - which amplifier is this?Best regards,Darren

So, does that mean if I buy a power cable from you, I can specify the fuse, or do they come with the standard 3A, 5A or 13A as standard?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
clearer_audio:Hi Peter Power cables are rated and obviously the one you have is rated at 250V 15A. However if your amplifier is rated at 230V 10A then I would highly recommend that you make sure that the maximum rating of fuse fitted to the power cable is 10A. If you fit anything higher (e.g., a 13A) then your amplifier will not be protected from overloads or faults. Should such an event occur and there is a 13A fuse in the plug then serious damage could result. Hope this helps. Best regards, DarrenI believe you sell cables to the European market. Since they have unfused plugs and the fuse box will have fuses at a higher rating than 10 amps do you think their amps will blow up? I think you would have to go along way to find an amp that did not protect itself, since most of the world has fuseless plugs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts