Power amp with MDAC

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello all - I'm thinking of ditching the integrated and using the MDAC with a power amp - has anyone experimented with this approach?

Budget is around £2000 max.

I listen to all sorts of music and like a warm, weighty, wide, detailed, smooth sound.

Cheers,

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could look at Audiolab's own 8200MB monoblocks, but I think the main power amp to try out would be the ATC P1, which for me would satisfy all of your five listed requirements :)

A

Anonymous

I'm 99.9% positive that when I went to do some demo's for speakers (Rega RS3's & 5's and the Neat Motive 1's & 2's) that they had the MDAC playing via ther Audiolab monoblocks and one with a Roksan Caspian power amp (which they had side by side with the MF M1DAC as well)

They were in another room and I had a quick listen before I left (they were using Epos Epic floorstanders and PMC Twenty 23's (I think) and both systems sounded amazing. The mono's were stunning to listen to (source was just a bog standard CD player and an M1CLiC as well being fed by USB)

The Caspian sounded fantastic and to me both DAC's performed well with this (I didnt get to hear the M1DAC with the Audiolab monos)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I need to go out and do some listening.
I presume the Caspian power amp is the integrated caspian without the pre amp built in, so would produce a similar sound if the MDAC is used as a pre amp.

I like the upgrading game .... so I could go down the mono block route - for example:

Cyrus mono block power amps x 2; and a psx power supply for each mono block - can one do that?

I must also admit that I have never heard a cyrus set up before .....

It would be useful to hear from others who have used the MDAC as a pre amp.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Listening is definitely the best idea.

I demoed a CDQ with a Cyrus power amp, and really liked it, and like you, was tempted by the upgrade path. Being able to add another power amp and power supplies was tempting, but when do you stop? The set up wasn't necessarily warm mind, but it had fantastic detail.

I went back and listened to the CDQ attached to a Caspian integrated as I wasn't entirely convinced the Cyrus kit would suit my speakers. I was very impressed, so I ordered the power amp. Now it's here, I love it.

I also heard the new MF power amp, the new Quad, a Kandy and the 8200P, and I'm pleased I did. There really isn't any better advice than to go and listen to kit, that way you will know when you've heard what you need to buy.

Hopefully others can give you some more suggestions. Good luck.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience Fisherking 145!
I also have the new Quad and MF on the audition list as well as the Caspian ... I like the Roksan sound.

Can the Caspian be used as a mono power amp?

Cheers,

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi

The Caspian power, audiolab monos as mentioned, maybe Densen, Cyrus & I know Primare's new class D A34.2 works well with the M-DAC because I borrowed one for a week using a pair of XLR leads - was the best power amp I've ever heard - fabulous levels of ratural etail. I wouldn't get too worried about fitting attenuators between the DAC & amp. I'm currently feeding my M-DAC's phonos to the pwer amp section of my amp to great effect.

TRENDING THREADS