Power amp to drive speakers....

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at getting a power amp for my gamut L3 speakers to give them a bit more current which should drive them better.

I've got a cyrus 8qx dac integrated and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on a power amp and what one. Have been looking at second hand cyrus 200's, bel canto ref150s (but not sure it would drive them that well) and am open to suggestions about other ones.

My cyrus rack has a space in it, but could put the power amp under it, so should be OK.

Monies are tight, so should have around £800, give or take a few pounds.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Phil

Divman said:
Hi,

I am looking at getting a power amp for my gamut L3 speakers to give them a bit more current which should drive them better.

I've got a cyrus 8qx dac integrated and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on a power amp and what one. Have been looking at second hand cyrus 200's, bel canto ref150s (but not sure it would drive them that well) and am open to suggestions about other ones.

My cyrus rack has a space in it, but could put the power amp under it, so should be OK.

Monies are tight, so should have around £800, give or take a few pounds.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Phil
All I'd say is that mixing brands of pre- and power amps is only for the patient and confident listener. Stick with Cyrus, or trade in your amp against a beefier integrated. A Rotel RA-1592 has more power than you'll ever need for £1899 brand new.

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Thats why I was thinking of the bel canto, but not sure if the 75 class D watts would drive the speakers better than the 70w of the integrated.

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
If you're able to fight down the inner audio snob inside you (that snob who's living inside most of us), I would recommend Behringer A500. Extremely cheap, and loads of power for the money. It doesn't measure quite as well as the best amps you can find (hypex ncore etc), but it delivers a very reasonable performance. I was in the same situation as you and wanted to see how my passive speakers would react to being fed with much more power. So I "downgraded" from a much more expensive integrated amp that measured at 70 w per channel. The result: A significant and huge improvement in sound quality. The speakers just came more alive, in a way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts