Power Amp for Arcam A39

robwt21

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

Looking to add a power amp to my Arcam A39 to bi-amp the B&W CM6 S2 speakers.

The A39 will run the tweeters, with the power-amp running the mid range.

I've had a look at the matching Arcam range, but can't see an obvious power amp to match.

Does anyone have any ideas which amp this would be? I'm only presuming the power amp should match the pre/integrated amp range.

Many thanks,
Rob

Hi,

I've had a look at the matching Arcam range, but can't see an obvious power amp to match.

Does anyone have any ideas which amp this would be? I'm only presuming the power amp should match the pre/integrated amp range.

Many thanks,
Rob
Welcome to the forum,
I think back in the day they just made integrated amps in that range, could be wrong. They certainly made a P49, anyway not an ideal way to bi-amp, what do you hope to gain?
you already have 120wpc with 20 in Class A

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with bi-amping the a39...it should be a fine amp by itsel, it's really not worth the outlay, I added a p85 to my arcam a85 many moons ago, bi-amping a pair of monitor audio silver rs6's and then b&w cm5's....not much happened if anything, I'd put my money ( and I did) towards a better amplifier.

robwt21

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
Thank you! =D

Unfortunately I've just got it in my head that it's time for an upgrade - so here I am!! I was looking to spend ~£1000 on this, and thought a decent power amp would be a good option as upgrading to a significantly better integrated amp would probably cost double this (and the rest). The P49 looks like it may still cost way over £1000 pre-owned

I have also been playing around with the amp / speaker wiring on this setup, and found bi-wiring the speakers from the Speaker1 & Speaker2 outputs on the A39 made a noticeable improvement to the sound quality - it does actually suggest this method in the manual, however I had previously bi-wired from only Speaker1.

It's interesting to hear bi-amping this way may not offer much of a sonic upgrade - that's good to know. Would it be better to leave as is for now and purchase a better integrated amp at some point in the future?

The system is running with the MDAC+

Thank you,

I did what you describe with an A32/P35, and then with two P35s. There are audible gains, but they aren't huge. It's a pity there's no way of borrowing to try them as bi-amp and pre/power. I certainly have no regrets about moving to Musical Fidelity, so whilst that's hardly a recommendation based upon vast experience, at least there is some overlap.

If you did add a power amp now, it would most likely have to be an Arcam as the gain needs to be the same or volume wouldn't increase by the same level for tweeters and woofers.

An alternative (and more flexible path) would be to use the pre-outs that I suspect the Arcam must have for to feed a power amp chosen independently (in other words, use the Arcam as a pre-amp only), which you could then add a separate, dedicated pre-amp to at a later date (from any make) or integrated (from the same). Again, that's broadly what I did.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The Arcam a39 will still be a great amp and I reckon you'll need to spend quite a bit of cash to better it, the same holds true for the speakers, but I think this is what I'd look at changing before the amplifier, and probably where you would get better bang for your buck, maybe try and listen to kit from the likes of proAc, Neat, Harbeth and pmc for example, That's where I'd look to improve on what you already have and then the dac,..that denafrips aeries ii is getting lots of praise atm...Then the amplifier...that's the way I think I'd do it.

D

Deleted member 160668

I've owned this amp. Don't bother would be my advice. Others above have said the same.

If you've got £1k to blow on an upgrade another idea would be to sell this and add your cash to buy the A49 instead. This was their flagship and best amp they've ever made. Other people on forums have commented that the jump up from the A39 is significant. I cannot verify this myself as I've not heard one, although I did intend to buy one (and may still do at some point to scratch the itch) as an upgrade to my A39.

I instead bought a Sugden. I am now settled.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

TrevC

Hi,

Many thanks,
Rob

You won't change the sound one bit by doing that, as others have said. If you want to improve / change the sound you need to change the speakers or your room layout.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

Several mentions above to change your speakers too.

Shameless plug... but I'm selling some immaculate condition PMC Twenty 23 Floorstanders at the moment.

They match perfectly with your amp (as they were on mine) and are inside your budget. They are advertised on PFM and Wam if you want to have a look.
Hope that's allowed mods. Please delete if not.

Edited to include link to ad. Mods if I'm pushing it, delete or I'll remove it. Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: plastic penguin
Several mentions above to change your speakers too.

Shameless plug... but I'm selling some immaculate condition PMC Twenty 23 Floorstanders at the moment.

They match perfectly with your amp (as they were on mine) and are inside your budget. They are advertised on PFM and Wam if you want to have a look.
Hope that's allowed mods. Please delete if not.
Fine by me....

Agree with the others, speakers are the way to go. The A39 is a capable amp and paired with PMC speakers the OP will have a cracking combo.

Personally I wouldn't bother using a power amp. The gains are minimal.

Or as the OP has B&Ws I would use a Rotel from the 15 series.

Agree with the others, speakers are the way to go. The A39 is a capable amp and paired with PMC speakers the OP will have a cracking combo.

Personally I wouldn't bother using a power amp. The gains are minimal.

Or as the OP has B&Ws I would use a Rotel from the 15 series.
Another cracking combo is the A39 with Monitor Audio. Lot of so-called purists turn their noses up at MAs, but like PMC, MAs is a cracking combo with Arcam.

Although slightly trickier to drive @ 4 ohms I would be tempted to try Gold 100s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts