Possible dilemma approaching...

I have a hypothetical question (probably) for anyone with knowledge of higher end turntables.

Given that you have the funds available and intended to upgrade, and you only have one choice between two items would you put your money on A or B listed below, and why.

A = Brand new Origin Live Resolution Mk3 turntable fitted with Illustrious Mk3c tonearm.

B = Second-hand (reputable dealer stock) Michell Orbe fitted with SME V tonearm.

Bear in mind that system A would require purchasing an acrylic lid / cover as an extra and this would make the cost of system an extra £570 over the cost of system B.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
I have a hypothetical question (probably) for anyone with knowledge of higher end turntables.

Given that you have the funds available and intended to upgrade, and you only have one choice between two items would you put your money on A or B listed below, and why.

A = Brand new Origin Live Resolution Mk3 turntable fitted with Illustrious Mk3c tonearm.

B = Second-hand (reputable dealer stock) Michell Orbe fitted with SME V tonearm.

Bear in mind that system A would require purchasing an acrylic lid / cover as an extra and this would make the cost of system an extra £570 over the cost of system B.

B, and then you can tell me whether I need to get an SME.
I wouldn't have thought there is much to go wrong with an Orbe.

Is it an Orbe or an Orbe SE?

Good luck.

Hi Lost Angeles ,

It is a full Orbe. Deliberately didn't want an SE because I want something with a dust cover. Something my current set up never had.

Curious about your comment that 'not much to go wrong with it'. Do you imply there are things going to go wrong with a new Origin LIve (thinking warranty here)?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Hi Lost Angeles ,

It is a full Orbe. Deliberately didn't want an SE because I want something with a dust cover. Something my current set up never had.

Curious about your comment that 'not much to go wrong with it'. Do you imply there are things going to go wrong with a new Origin LIve (thinking warranty here)?

No no n no. just thinking there's not much to an Orbe (like most turntables) so secondhand from a good source probably shouldn't be a bad deal and you're not new at this game.
I've not heard a Resolution. Can you demo both?

Unfortunately cannot demo either, although I have heard the Gyro / SME V setup in the past (a good friend had it) and am assuming the Orbe / SME will sound as good as or even better.

I already own an Origin Live turntable (old Aurora Gold) and a Mk 2 Illustrious arm so I think I've got a fair idea what the Origin Live set-up is going to sound like (i.e. better than I have now).

Turntables obviously make a difference but a lot is down to the cartridge itself and how it performs with any particular tonearm so should be OK on that front as do not intend changing cartridge just yet.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Unfortunately cannot demo either, although I have heard the Gyro / SME V setup in the past (a good friend had it) and am assuming the Orbe / SME will sound as good as or even better.
An SME V really deserves an Orbe to perform at its best - it sounds good on a Gyro, but the Orbe is something else - the Orbe and V work fantastically together. We've been using ours with a Chord Dual phono stage, which seems to be doing an admirable job without letting the side down.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no useful advice to offer, I'm afraid, but I'm wiping the drool off my screen. Whichever combination you plump for, I hope you enjoy many hours of wondrous sound from it.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Al ears said:
An SME V really deserves an Orbe to perform at its best - it sounds good on a Gyro, but the Orbe is something else - the Orbe and V work fantastically together. We've been using ours with a Chord Dual phono stage, which seems to be doing an admirable job without letting the side down.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions David, this is exactly why I am looking at the Orbe / SME V combo.

thescarletpronster said:
I have no useful advice to offer, I'm afraid, but I'm wiping the drool off my screen. Whichever combination you plump for, I hope you enjoy many hours of wondrous sound from it.

Thank you. This is likely to be ther last upgrade I will ever make in the vinyl replay department and, as I am approaching a notable birthday and also have been offered a really good trade-in price for my current set-up, I thought frock-it why not.... :)

As Mrs. P has watched repeats of 'Most Haunted', it has to be the Orbe. (Eek, sorry)

More serious note it would be the Michell everytime for me. Not that I have any experience, just a hi-fi ambition, I suppose. Ah, and they look great too.

(Rummages down the back of the sofa)

plastic penguin said:
As Mrs. P has watched repeats of 'Most Haunted', it has to be the Orbe. (Eek, sorry)

More serious note it would be the Michell everytime for me. Not that I have any experience, just a hi-fi ambition, I suppose. Ah, and they look great too.

(Rummages down the back of the sofa)

I have performed many a rummage.... don't forget the sides. :)

I know what you mean about the looks of the Orbe and I've always rated their engineering, however, there are quite a few choices at around the same price (if I consider second-hand that is). Forgot to mention on further investigation there is now an Option C: this being a Roksan Xerxes 20plus / Artemiz set-up.

I have had Roksan decks in the past and they are extremely good and although the Xerxes 20 plus looks 'conventional' it has some innovative features and is highly rated especially with Artemiz arm. Then again I have a hankering for new as just about all of my system is second-hand so fancied a change.

The best I could find for the money new was the Origin Live set-up, and having one at the moment, I know exactly what to expect from it (nothing at all to do with Mark Baker's very generous trade-in figure).

Decisions, decisions....

After much consideration, comptemplation, money counting, price haggling, trade-in allowance discusion, and point counting on a number of fronts, value for money being the prime driver, the dilemma has finally been resolved ................. and it turned out to be none of my initial three choices.

Funny old world hi-fi. :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
After much consideration, comptemplation, money counting, price haggling, trade-in allowance discusion, and point counting on a number of fronts, value for money being the prime driver, the dilemma has finally been resolved ................. and it turned out to be none of my initial three choices.

So, you've bought a BSR McDonald then>*music2*

Lost Angeles said:
Al ears said:

So, you've bought a BSR McDonald then>*music2*

:) almost did many years ago. Ended up, back then that is, with a Leak something or other (Lenco G75 basically).

Getting something similarly simple this time as well.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al, are you going to put me out of my suspense or has the new TT not arrived yet or did you just keep what you had?
omg_smile.gif

Thought there was no more interest in this thread so apologies for keeping you in suspense.

After much cogitation weighing up what was around in my budget, simple versus complicated set-up, 9 inch versus 12 inch tonearm performance, I can now revealed what my future set-up will be. I say future because the deck is not arriving until next week.

Tonearm will be an mint SME 910 (10 inch, best of both worlds, and not too much of a step down from an SME V).

Deck will be a new old stock ( excellent trade in for my old set-up) Dr. Fieckert Analogue 'Woodpecker'.

All things being considered it was the best I could come up with using my 'sound for pound' equation. Yes I could have gone for an SME V instead but this is where the laws of diminishing returns come into effect. My advice has always been do your research and go for the best you can get for your hard-learnt cash, and don't be tempted over budget. This system was built without audition but with my years of experience, not so easy to do for anyone new to vinyl and not one I would regularly recommend.

Thoughts please, one the back of a beer mat. :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My beer mat says a rebuilt Garrard . . . 12" SME arm followed by a Decca gold cart at some time . . . might break the budget though. I think the stretch might be worth it . . . ?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts