Possible Alternative to 2M Black?

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a change from a Ortofon 2M black which is what i have at the moment. I cant help feeling that its a tad boring and would like something with a bit more oomph and excitement. The 2M black has great detail but often think i could do better, i also find that compared to my digital source the hi hats and cymbals are much less clearer and seem much lower in the mix, i realise that this might be one of the fundamental differences between digital and analogue but i think this can be improved.

I hear nothing but good things about the Goldring 1042, any ideas on this cartridge or anything else would be greatly received.

My budget wil be whatever i can get for the 2M Black plus £100 at the most.

Regards to you all :)

Ed

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a change from a Ortofon 2M black which is what i have at the moment. I cant help feeling that its a tad boring and would like something with a bit more oomph and excitement. The 2M black has great detail but often think i could do better, i also find that compared to my digital source the hi hats and cymbals are much less clearer and seem much lower in the mix, i realise that this might be one of the fundamental differences between digital and analogue but i think this can be improved.

I hear nothing but good things about the Goldring 1042, any ideas on this cartridge or anything else would be greatly received.

Ed

2m black....boring?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Hi All

Ed

Hi Ed, that was my felling of the Black when I was looking for a cartridge, great detail but . . . no soul! no old fashioned analogue organics, which I must say, is how I have found the modern hifi sound in general with a few exceptions. Personally, I find cymbals and hi-hat often to aggressive and overpowering in modern recordings.

In my search I had on the list; Goldring 1042, Dynavector 10x5, Grado Reference Platinum 1, one might also consider the M2 Bronze, (stylus only required) the reviews suggest it is the most lively in the range? There was also the Sumiko Blue point special EVO, a real get up and go job, not laid back enough for me though.

'Divine Audio' at Desborough, were very helpful, they were willing to post cartridges to me on sale or return . . . of all these cartridges in this bracket, I favoured the 10x5, it had zip without splash and bash! Its also well recommended as a Rega 'mate' . . .

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
2m black....boring?

Yip ,yawn yawn yawn. Technically correct,toe tapping,nope, imo of course.

Ed, if you can source one at the right price i would counsel a Lyra Dorian. Could well be be what you are after. Loads of detail,gut walloping bass, and toe tapping a plenty. You may, with a bit of arm twisting,get a good deal on one. Divine Audio ,who cj used, is a Lyra dealer i think, and it appears he is willing to send out demmo carts.

You really need to dem one mind, as i have no idea how it will come across via your Luxys phono etc etc.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lol, i was typing as you posted CJ :grin:

Echoing CJs 10x5 reccy,ive got one knocking around in my box of tricks,quite a fun little cart.

Ah Ed, re Dorian. Im not going by magazine reviews/talk. I own one mate.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Lol, i was typing as you posted CJ :grin:

Echoing CJs 10x5 reccy,ive got one knocking around in my box of tricks,quite a fun little cart.

Ah Ed, re Dorian. Im not going by magazine reviews/talk. I own one mate.

Hi Floyd, my suggestion were keeping with in Eds budget? but the Dorian . . . now there is a cartridge, very much on my radar, had I not fallen on my feet with Sumiko Pearwood . . .

Ed, how about tweaking the tracking force on the M2 Black, you are never going to make a silk purse out of it, but I found backing off the tracking by 'tiny, tiny' amounts, it requires a deft touch, a good ear and patience, it did liven things up a little? Then save a few more pennies to have a go at the Dorian . . . just a thought? There is always your plastic friend:?

By the way Ed, Divine Audio do do trade-ins?

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Cj me old mate how ya doing ?. I pretty sure the Dorian is now discontinued, hence maybe Ed could get a good deal if he twists arms hard enough.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Hi Cj me old mate how ya doing ?. I pretty sure the Dorian is now discontinued, hence maybe Ed could get a good deal if he twists arms hard enough.

I think you are right Floyd, its why I ended up with the Sumiko, my dealer was trying to get hold of a Dorian for me to try, we were having a chat and it came up in the coversation that the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration had come in that morning as Px . . . ??? everything to gain nothing to loose, I had no catridge in the arm, tried it against a Linn Adikt which he loaned me as well.

A couple of days later the telephone conversation went; "how much for the pearwood"? . . . he 'ummed and 'ared??? . . . "I cant give it away" he said . . . "how does £200 sound"? . . . :bounce: the rest is history :rofl:

I suspect Divine must still have stock, they keep a fair eye on the web page and its still listed . . . ?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
200 quid !. I bet you paid up, stuck it in yer pocket and ran, lol,nice one mate.

I certainly did, I nearly ripped his arm off!!! I was taking a gamble on how many hours the stylus has left?? Even if I had to get it tipped/rebuilt straight away, thats £300 + £200 = £500 for a £1350 cartridge . . . incidentally no sign of needing a new stylus/rebuild yet? Even so, I'm sure I would have been happy with the Lyru 8)

CJSF

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fella's

Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated, looks like i shall be giving Divine audio a call! My only problem is that i am not cartridge savvy and have always had my local dealer fit them for me. I'll keep you posted

Thanks again, Ed ;)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Well Ed old chapperoonie tis time you had a go then isnt it. Get an AT-91 circa 18 quid, or some other old banger and have a play. If you bounce it, then so what !!. So long as you keep the guard on, if its got one, you will be fine mate. Fitting any cart isnt rocket science tbh so get in there and have a go. Not good for the towel holder if you've paid mega bucks for a cart and there is no guard, but you are not going down that route, yet ;) .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
I'm sure its something i could do, are there any good links or online video's on how to fit a cart?

I would give you hand Ed if you were any where near my neck of the woods?

CJSF

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Just a bit of an update on the vinyl side of things. The way i have my TT set up is quite far from the amp. Its on a side board type thing at chest height out if the way of my two young boys. This means that i have to have long interconnects, approx 5 meters (yeah i know :oops:).

I have been using some old Maplin basic phono extension leads (yeah i know...again :oops:). Anyway i have always been one of those cable sceptics and have ben told in the past not to waste my money on posh interconnects. I decided to change them anyway and bought some QED 5M interconnects at half price with some gold plated connectors.

When i fired up the turntable i thought i might hear a slight difference but to say i was astonished was an understatement!

I couldnt believe the improvement! The sound is so much clearer and can now hear those high frequencies i was missing.

I can now hear all the detail that the 2M black can dig out. I would still like to hear a Goldring 1042 though.

I am also going to get the tone arm re-wired, internal and external. I am sure that 99% of forum members wouldn't of made this error but believe me, decent interconnects do make a difference.

Cheers, Ed :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
I wish i could but finding somewhere to suitable to put it and getting it pass the missus means it aint gonna happen.....i have tried.

How about a 'broken bell' isolation board? with a set of three wooden adjustable feet, like the ones I made. It solved my sideboard/book shelf problem.

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Hi ED. I was going to ask what phono stage you have. I have read many reviews on the 2MB and mine does none of what they say. I've read it was to analitical, not emotional enough and too bright. Well this thing is the complete oposite in my rig. But it does help to build up around the cart with a good phono stage, and phono cables. The 2MB is a wonderful cart.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dodi said:
Hi ED. I was going to ask what phono stage you have. I have read many reviews on the 2MB and mine does none of what they say. I've read it was to analitical, not emotional enough and too bright. Well this thing is the complete oposite in my rig. But it does help to build up around the cart with a good phono stage, and phono cables. The 2MB is a wonderful cart.

You dont say what your 'rig' is . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dodi said:

You dont say what your 'rig' is . . . ?

A

Anonymous

I use a 2m black in my gyrodec with an audiomods micro arm and I've tried dyno 10x4 , goldy 1040 , blu point special , 'orrible' audio technica oc9 ml3 , denon 103 , rega's goldy eroica, and more..........and i say if you find the black boring dude then it's your set up. Cos that cart wee wee's on all of em.Only thing you'll get to better it is a now defunct ortofon MC25. If you can find one jump on the fooker......real giant killer !!

How many hours you had it running for ? cos 40 hours is the minimum for that little booger. OH , and seeing as the stylus assembly is 90% of the cost , Glue it in place with a couple of spots of super g , and your bass will tighten up no end. Great cart n nowt i've tried at £500 will beat it .

The problem is dude , that cart sounds pretty real.......if you want something else , well......

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
ivoreng said:
if you find the black boring dude then it's your set up. .

I eventually found that it was a problem with my set up. I have to have my TT quite far from the rest of my set up and i was sending the signal from the cart down a 5 meter interconnect then into the phono stage, big mistake.

By having the phono stage by the TT and sending a line level to amp made a huge difference, i can now really hear what the 2M Black can do and i am very happy with it.

I'm only using a Rega Fono mini at the moment but i'm saving up for a Croft RIAA or possibly a Puersound P10

Cheers Ed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts