Positioning a cartridge in the tonearm headshell

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a new cartridge for my old Technics SL3200. An Audio Technica AT110E. My question is whereabouts on the headshell should the cartridge sit? There are slots in the headshell to allow the cartridge to move backwards and forwards - towards or away from the tonearm. At the moment it sits at the most forward position. Does it actually matter where it sits?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes it does matter: it'll affect the stereo sound delivered by the cartridge and more to the point could lead to permanent record damage if it's set up wrong.

VDHALN.jpg

You really need a cartridge alignment gauge or protractor to set up the cartridge: there are various kinds available, either commercial products or as downloads you can print out, cut out and use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response. Very useful advice. However, as my hands are getting shakey these days, I found it difficult enough to get the cartridge on in the first place. I think that this job would be best handled by a dealer.

A

Anonymous

On second thoughts, I think I will have a go. It looks simple enough. The following link is very useful

[But also in contravention of House Rules - Mods]. Just cut out he spindle hole and away you go.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
andyh2451 said:
On second thoughts, I think I will have a go. It looks simple enough.

Also Vinylengine have a variety of free downloadable allignment protractors...have a look on the website. Just make sure that wichever one you use...it is the right size and doesnt need enlarging etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts