Portable Music Player

Bamig

May 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a portable music player for the first time. All of my music is on CD (lots of CDs) and I'm wondering what's my best bet for easily transferring music I want to hear onto a portable player (excuse my ignorance - I've been using a portable minidisc player until recently - believe it or not). Do I need to go via a computer? What else do I need to consider? What's my best buy? Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 188533

You need to rip the CDs to a computer then transfer the files to the DAP. So you'd need a computer with an optical drive and a lot of time. It took me the better part of 2 months worth of free time to rerip my 500+ CDs a few years ago. I used Exact Audio Copy in bitperfect mode and ripped them to FLAC.

I'm looking to buy a portable music player for the first time. All of my music is on CD (lots of CDs) and I'm wondering what's my best bet for easily transferring music I want to hear onto a portable player (excuse my ignorance - I've been using a portable minidisc player until recently - believe it or not). Do I need to go via a computer? What else do I need to consider? What's my best buy? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, the best way to rip your CD s is via computer then transfer files usually as FLAC or WAV format onto the memory cards in your player.
Some have the facility to download files directly to the device.
There are now going to be a few members saying why do you want a music player if you have a mobile phone but they are best ignored unless you have a really good phone. :cool:
My question would be, then, why do you need a digital music player, presumably to replace your MD player, and what's your budget?
If you have a lot on that minidisk player you should be able to transfer that to computer and onto a micro SD card.

jjbomber

All of my music is on CD (lots of CDs) and I'm wondering what's my best bet for easily transferring music I want to hear onto a portable player. Do I need to go via a computer? What else do I need to consider? What's my best buy? Thanks in advance.

If we work backwards from where you want to end up. Do you want all your CDs on the players and how many are we talking about? I have about 1300 CDs on mine. If we know how many is ''lots of CDs'' that will tell us how much storage capacity you'll need.

Do you use any streaming apps like Spotify? Or will it be purely used for playing CDs?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Generally if you have ''lots of CDs'' you'll need additional storage on a microSD card or two. So yes, you'll go via a computer. Simply burn the CD from the laptop to the card. Then take the card from the laptop to the player and viola, it's done. Plenty of free software to use for burning the CDs, such as Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp.

Gray

It took me the better part of 2 months worth of free time to rerip my 500+ CDs a few years ago. I used Exact Audio Copy in bitperfect mode and ripped them to FLAC.

Took me 7+ months to do around 1000, also using EAC.
Correcting the spelling the databases found, finding the highest quality album art etc. took most of the time for me (then there were the times when EAC copied at one fifth speed to get the perfect bits, what fun it all was :rolleyes:)

Bamig

May 13, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, the best way to rip your CD s is via computer then transfer files usually as FLAC or WAV format onto the memory cards in your player.
There are now going to be a few members saying why do you want a music player if you have a mobile phone but they are best ignored unless you have a really good phone. :cool:
My question would be, then, why do you need a digital music player, presumably to replace your MD player, and what's your budget?
If you have a lot on that minidisk player you should be able to transfer that to computer and onto a micro SD card.
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I just need one to listen when I'm out and about. It doesn't necessarily need to have all my music on, just be able to stick things on it as and when I want. I don't have a smart phone, so can't use that. I've got a laptop (Mac) with an attachable CD drive - is it easy to get it from the laptop onto the portable player? Easier on some than others? I'm not looking to spend a fortune (it's more for convenience), but happy to spend a little bit to get something that sounds reasonable and is easy to use. Thanks for your help.

Thanks. I just need one to listen when I'm out and about. It doesn't necessarily need to have all my music on, just be able to stick things on it as and when I want. I don't have a smart phone, so can't use that. I've got a laptop (Mac) with an attachable CD drive - is it easy to get it from the laptop onto the portable player? Easier on some than others? I'm not looking to spend a fortune (it's more for convenience), but happy to spend a little bit to get something that sounds reasonable and is easy to use. Thanks for your help.
Although most have small internal data store most use the micro SD card as additional storage and it will be these you need to concentrate on.

Bamig

May 13, 2020
Visit site
If we work backwards from where you want to end up. Do you want all your CDs on the players and how many are we talking about? I have about 1300 CDs on mine. If we know how many is ''lots of CDs'' that will tell us how much storage capacity you'll need.

Do you use any streaming apps like Spotify? Or will it be purely used for playing CDs?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Generally if you have ''lots of CDs'' you'll need additional storage on a microSD card or two. So yes, you'll go via a computer. Simply burn the CD from the laptop to the card. Then take the card from the laptop to the player and viola, it's done. Plenty of free software to use for burning the CDs, such as Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp.
Thanks for your reply. I don't necessarily want all of my CDs (a few thousand) on the player - just want to be able to put a decent selection on. I don't use streaming services. As a newcomer to all this, burning a CD from a laptop to a card is not something I'm certain I know how to do - is that easier with some players than others? What's the advantage of using one of the bits of free software to burn things?

Gray

What else do I need to consider?
BACK UP YOUR FILES
Whatever you do, back up your files - don't wait till you've done the lot to do it,
back up each ripping session as you go along.
I'd also advise familiarising yourself with the subject of metadata before starting to rip.
(Decide if / how you wish to catagorise your albums for example - although there's tagging software that can help you sort things out after - doesn't hurt to do it properly first time).

D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks for your reply. I don't necessarily want all of my CDs (a few thousand) on the player - just want to be able to put a decent selection on. I don't use streaming services. As a newcomer to all this, burning a CD from a laptop to a card is not something I'm certain I know how to do - is that easier with some players than others? What's the advantage of using one of the bits of free software to burn things?
It's only a file you are transferring onto an SD card so if you are conversant using drag/drop, or more importantly copy/paste commands on a PC then you'll be fine. You can rip with any media ripping software you please, some have favourites such as Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp. I'm not conversant with Mac OS so not sure what ripping software is bundled with it.

Doesn't have to be FLAC or WAV files, if it's music for on the go then smaller file size 320kbps mp3 might be sufficient for your needs.

Come back with any questions as I'm sure between us we can get you through this :)

Reactions: Bamig
D

Deleted member 188533

BACK UP YOUR FILES
Whatever you do, back up your files - don't wait till you've done the lot to do it,
back up each ripping session as you go along.
I'd also advise familiarising yourself with the subject of metadata before starting to rip.
(Decide if / how you wish to catagorise your albums for example - although there's tagging software that can help you sort things out after - doesn't hurt to do it properly first time).

^ This. I have SO many backups. I even have an extrenal drive stored at a relative's house in their fireproof safe. I never want to do that again. :LOL:

Gray

^ This. I have SO many backups. I even have an extrenal drive stored at a relative's house in their fireproof safe. I never want to do that again. :LOL:
Don't blame you.....the thought of losing the lot.....suicidal* would be an understatement.

*If you've been affected by any of the issues raised, helplines are available.
(Here in the UK anort, broadcasters are olbliged to point that out).

jjbomber

Thanks for your reply. I don't necessarily want all of my CDs (a few thousand) on the player - just want to be able to put a decent selection on. As a newcomer to all this, burning a CD from a laptop to a card is not something I'm certain I know how to do - is that easier with some players than others? What's the advantage of using one of the bits of free software to burn things?

Ripping CDs is so simple, even an adult can do it!

Download, say, dBpoweramp to start with. Insert a CD into the CD drive. The top bar will populate with the Artist and Album details, though you can add them manually. The same with the track information.

Bottom left is where we set out the magic bits. So 'Rip to' is normally FLAC but can be WAV or mp3. To the right of that you set the Lossless encoding to level 8 from the drop down menu. Under FLAC you will see 'Path', and it will give you a drop down menu. You can rip the CD to the laptop, normally the Music folder, or straight to a microSD card, player or mobile phone. Whatever storage device is connected, it will be on the drop down menu. You can't go wrong (famous last words).

Reactions: Bamig and Al ears

Gray

Download, say, dBpoweramp to start with. Insert a CD into the CD drive. The top bar will populate with the Artist and Album details, though you can add them manually. The same with the track information.

Bottom left is where we set out the magic bits. So 'Rip to' is normally FLAC but can be WAV or mp3. To the right of that you set the Lossless encoding to level 8 from the drop down menu. Under FLAC you will see 'Path', and it will give you a drop down menu. You can rip the CD to the laptop, normally the Music folder, or straight to a microSD card, player or mobile phone. Whatever storage device is connected, it will be on the drop down menu. You can't go wrong (famous last words).
Is dB Poweramp free JJ?

Reactions: Bamig

Bamig

May 13, 2020
Visit site

Thanks for this. Just need to decide which player to get. Any tips on which are easiest to use? Up to about £3-400 - would that get something decent? (it's more for convenience than the greatest sound quality - using on the train, walking round town etc.)

Most of them can be very usable, the ones with touch screens seem to be in favour at the moment.
For your budget look at the Fiio range and factor in the cost of one or two MicroSD cards
The Fiio M9 is available around £270 or X5 for £368, at the very top of your budget the excellent M11 is now down to £399

Reactions: Gray

jjbomber

We really need to know how many CDs you want to have on there. You can get some with, say, 128gb of storage built in, so you won't need extra cards. Or you may need more than that, in which case you'll need a player than can accept extra storage cards. We don't need an exact figure but something ball park will help.

We really need to know how many CDs you want to have on there. You can get some with, say, 128gb of storage built in, so you won't need extra cards. Or you may need more than that, in which case you'll need a player than can accept extra storage cards. We don't need an exact figure but something ball park will help.
You can never have enough storage...... :cool:
Especially when you start adding those DSD downloads.....
Most players seem to have around 64GBP internal storage but some of this is used by the operating system

Reactions: jjbomber

jjbomber

You can never have enough storage...... :cool:
Especially when you start adding those DSD downloads.....
Most players seem to have around 64GBP internal storage but some of this is used by the operating system

Yes the Cowon players are 64GB internal and expandable by a single 128gb card. Otherwise the Fiio X5 has 2x256GB expandable cards. So up to 500 CDs I would go for the Cowon but anything above and it's the Fiio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts