Portable d a c

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

Hi again DCarmi, just as an aside I don’t wish to appear dim , But I assume ,correctly I hope ,that you use your iPhone screen for all the input as in downloading and selecting songs etc ,
Firstly I don't use an iPhone but the Go Link comes with USB-C connector and adaptors for Micro-USB and Lightning. I've used it on both an Android phone and tablet using both earphones and Sennheiser over-ears.

You are right that the phone/tablet is the control device, so music and video, volume on the phone/tablet (PC come to that). Other DACs can have inbuilt batteries and can control the volume, bass boost etc from the DAC. Depends on the model.

The Go Link is probably cheap enough to take a punt on without much consideration. It supports up to 32bit/384kHz , DSD 256 and MQA (which seems to be a dying format, in any case). It also claims to support balanced output but not something I'm into.

Mostly I use it for watching Video on my tablet or when I'm on holiday to listen to music and the like. I tend not to use it when I'm out and about generally. I'm not massively fussed about audio quality when travelling or walking.

It would probably be wise to start looking at products out there and reviews, to decide what route you really want to take (DAP/DAC, features, complexity etc etc). I might spend £50 on a whim but £500 would require some research.

Cat998

Aug 15, 2024
Visit site
Firstly I don't use an iPhone but the Go Link comes with USB-C connector and adaptors for Micro-USB and Lightning. I've used it on both an Android phone and tablet using both earphones and Sennheiser over-ears.

You are right that the phone/tablet is the control device, so music and video, volume on the phone/tablet (PC come to that). Other DACs can have inbuilt batteries and can control the volume, bass boost etc from the DAC. Depends on the model.

The Go Link is probably cheap enough to take a punt on without much consideration. It supports up to 32bit/384kHz , DSD 256 and MQA (which seems to be a dying format, in any case). It also claims to support balanced output but not something I'm into.

Mostly I use it for watching Video on my tablet or when I'm on holiday to listen to music and the like. I tend not to use it when I'm out and about generally. I'm not massively fussed about audio quality when travelling or walking.

It would probably be wise to start looking at products out there and reviews, to decide what route you really want to take (DAP/DAC, features, complexity etc etc). I might spend £50 on a whim but £500 would require some research.
Thank you very much for your input. I am arranging to have a one-to-one demo on an I basso DC elite, it’s not cheap (460) but it looks really nice with decent spec. I have now decided. I am not doing anything without a hands on experience. Sod it you only live once.😂

Reactions: Friesiansam

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Thank you very much for your input. I am arranging to have a one-to-one demo on an I basso DC elite, it’s not cheap (460) but it looks really nice with decent spec. I have now decided. I am not doing anything without a hands on experience. Sod it you only live once.😂
Hi and welcome!

I'm a couple of years younger, only. Thankfully, my eyesight is excellent and I value portability with my two HiBy DAPs, rather than screen size, so while I know devices with screens larger than the SR35's, I don't know any that are 6". (I also much prefer under-6" phones.) I've actually returned an impressive but larger and heavier HiBy player -twice. BTW, I needed a few weeks to evaluate and weigh critically and thoughtfully, not just a demo. I even had to trial it twice!

Note that the DC elite does not have its own power so its full, impressive performance, will rely significantly on the power/voltage your phone is able to put out to perform to your tastes and requirements, and of course, it will drain your phone battery, perhaps variably depending on a number of factors, some of which you can anticipate and may be able to prepare for on your demo.

My sense and our experience suggest or indicate that you may need time to evaluate the portable DAC option and DAC + phone portability and compatibility; SO, if you have access to or can arrange a trial period rather than just a demo, it would be much better. Recall that you needed time to decide on the SR35, as I did with my evaluations. We're OLD --though I think this applies to all audio enthusiasts.;)

Enjoy your patient shopping and good luck on finding a portable sound solution that fits and works for you!!

Last edited:

Jasonovich

I haven't but from the numerous reviews these appear to be solid, also check out the FiiO equivalents - see Headfonia review.

If you're still thinking about a DAP the new ibasso has a 5" inch screen, not as dinky as the A&T, and very high spec in terms of DAC and memory capability. It's based on Android OS, so you could probably adjust the font size?

Ps. It's Amazon, if you don't like it you can always return it :)
View attachment 7272
Further to my last post Hiby R6 pro 2 has a bigger 5.9" screen, though one of the criticism levied at it was the awkwardly placed buttons. Selling for about £500 on AliExpress worth looking into?
It has 5000mAh battery, this should last as long as your mobile and the very capable DAC AK4191+AK4499EX*2 chip.

1725283557259.png
1725283854263.png

Reactions: Rodolfo

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Further to my last post Hiby R6 pro 2 has a bigger 5.9" screen, though one of the criticism levied at it was the awkwardly placed buttons. Selling for about £500 on AliExpress worth looking into?
It has 5000mAh battery, this should last as long as your mobile and the very capable DAC AK4191+AK4499EX*2 chip.

View attachment 7333
View attachment 7334
Yes, one of the very interesting recent entries in the HiBy lineup, and at a very nice discount already there: nice sighting, and a nice larger-screen option.

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS