What is currently the best budget micro system?

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a micro music system around £50 - don't mind if it goes slightly over that limit.

It's got to have CD, cassette player, mp3 capability and radio atleast.

Good quality sound with EQ is a MUST.

DAB radio would be nice - as would SD card reader, aux socket, headphones, iphone dock etc

Thanks for your help.

matthewpiano

Best budget micro system is the Denon DM39DAB, but it will cost you 4x your budget and still won't have all the features you are seeking.

I get the feeling you are being playful with your question. If, however, you aren't then all you can do is go to the supermarket and find something that fits the budget although most of the 'systems' at this price have been replaced by ipod docks these days.

Alternatively, if you are truly bothered about sound quality and are prepared to do without most of the features, then you could put a surprisingly decent system of CD, amp and speakers together buying 2nd hand on Ebay for £80-£100.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I know, but I think the requirements are so numerous, and budget so small, that I think that compromise is needed. He wants both a 60 year old technology in a cassette player, and modern technologies in Mp3, DAB, SD card reader, and iphone dock.

Sorry but i struggle to think of any one device, that will include them all.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
expat_mike said:
steve_1979 said:
Take your pick. :)

Clicky

This Denon is good value at £28, but you need to get speakers as well.

He said it's got to have a cassette player.

Well I have looked for the same kind of Sony microsystem (with cassette but no DAB) that our eldest daughter bought with money from her Saturday job about 12 years ago. (It actually sounded pretty good for something that cost around £150 back then.)

Something like this maybe. (Assuming it all works ok.) My daughter's little system never failed her and she used it all the way through her A' Levels and her degree and a few years after that.

£50 or a little more should get a not too scruffy one in working order.

matthewpiano

chebby said:
expat_mike said:
steve_1979 said:
Take your pick. :)

Clicky

This Denon is good value at £28, but you need to get speakers as well.

He said it's got to have a cassette player.

Well I have looked for the same kind of Sony microsystem (with cassette but no DAB) that our eldest daughter bought with money from her Saturday job about 12 years ago. (It actually sounded pretty good for something that cost around £150 back then.)

Something like this maybe. (Assuming it all works ok.) My daughter's little system never failed her and she used it all the way through her A' Levels and her degree and a few years after that.

£50 or a little more should get a not too scruffy one in working order.

Later on they made an updated version called the CMT-CPZ1DAB which should get even closer to the brief. As you say, pretty good for what it is.

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Obviously a space cadet :)

Aye Aye... still learning the ropes lol
smiley-smile.gif

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I know, but I think the requirements are so numerous, and budget so small, that I think that compromise is needed. He wants both a 60 year old technology in a cassette player, and modern technologies in Mp3, DAB, SD card reader, and iphone dock.

Sorry but i struggle to think of any one device, that will include them all.

I am willing to compromise - as long as it has CD, mp3 and cassette player.

I've actually got an old Alba product (NE566USB) from Argos about five years ago that has the lot,

but it's not functioning too well these days, lots of skipping CD and USB.

But the sound is great.
smiley-wink.gif

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
captains log. stardate 2014/30.4

50 quid will get you sweet F.A

ya kannea buy anything with that budget cap'n.

you might get something at your local dump-it site (recycling depot) aka Argos.

Well... ahem... yes lol

I am thinking about some of the Argos range.

But also interested if anyone knows of similar, but better, stuff from somewhere else eg. ebuyer

smiley-cool.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If the sound quality from an Alba is your baseline then just go ahead and buy anything you can find which has the features you want at the price you want. Your best bet will be eBay, Gumtree, or any local shops (Cash Converters, cancer research etc) that sell used audio equipment. Nothing you buy is going to disappoint you sonically. Look for something which has a line input for your MP3 player, often a 1/8" jack on the front labeled AUX.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts