What is currently the best budget micro system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If the sound quality from an Alba is your baseline then just go ahead and buy anything you can find which has the features you want at the price you want. Your best bet will be eBay, Gumtree, or any local shops (Cash Converters, cancer research etc) that sell used audio equipment. Nothing you buy is going to disappoint you sonically. Look for something which has a line input for your MP3 player, often a 1/8" jack on the front labeled AUX.

Sure but I am interested to know of any current new models from the 2014 range, as it were, to replace my Alba with.

Something good for value. As I say, I don't mind going over £50 slightly.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Check ebay for (new) retro-style audio systems. There are a few about, commonly by brands such as Bush and Steepletone, which include tape, CD, vinyl, radio and MP3 input. But I expect even those will be quite a lot over budget.

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
expat_mike said:
steve_1979 said:
Take your pick. :)

Clicky

This Denon is good value at £28, but you need to get speakers as well.

He said it's got to have a cassette player.

Well I have looked for the same kind of Sony microsystem (with cassette but no DAB) that our eldest daughter bought with money from her Saturday job about 12 years ago. (It actually sounded pretty good for something that cost around £150 back then.)

Something like this maybe. (Assuming it all works ok.) My daughter's little system never failed her and she used it all the way through her A' Levels and her degree and a few years after that.

£50 or a little more should get a not too scruffy one in working order.

Yes, I agree, it's good for a retro system.
smiley-cool.gif

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CaptainKirk said:
MajorFubar said:
If the sound quality from an Alba is your baseline then just go ahead and buy anything you can find which has the features you want at the price you want. Your best bet will be eBay, Gumtree, or any local shops (Cash Converters, cancer research etc) that sell used audio equipment. Nothing you buy is going to disappoint you sonically. Look for something which has a line input for your MP3 player, often a 1/8" jack on the front labeled AUX.

Sure but I am interested to know of any current new models from the 2014 range, as it were, to replace my Alba with.

Something good for value. As I say, I don't mind going over £50 slightly.
Instead of buying 2014 why not buy second hand from ebay or gum tree..? You will get better system & may include all of the stuff needed.

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CaptainKirk said:
bigfish786 said:
captains log. stardate 2014/30.4

50 quid will get you sweet F.A

ya kannea buy anything with that budget cap'n.

you might get something at your local dump-it site (recycling depot) aka Argos.

Well... ahem... yes lol

I am thinking about some of the Argos range.

But also interested if anyone knows of similar, but better, stuff from somewhere else eg. ebuyer

smiley-cool.gif

I beg your pardon, it's not an Alba, it's a Wharfedale.

John Duncan

Where else is he going to ask? I mean I know that we are stupid and think nothing of a spending more than his budget on magic pebbles, but at least we might be able to help a little bit. Personally I would be searching for 'Denon UDRA-90' on ebay, but if I was spending 50 quid on new (let's call it 75 tops), I would be looking at this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/1295223/c_1/1|category_root|Technology|33006169/c_2/2|33006169|Home+audio|33008502/c_3/3|cat_33008502|Hi-fi+systems|33012674.htm

Which covers most of your bases.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Asda direct has 2 Polaroid micro systems which tick some of the boxes, the cheaper of the 2 is £40 and that's with speakers!

http://direct.asda.com/CD-Players-HiFi/AD060104,default,sc.html

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Where else is he going to ask? I mean I know that we are stupid and think nothing of a spending more than his budget on magic pebbles, but at least we might be able to help a little bit. Personally I would be searching for 'Denon UDRA-90' on ebay, but if I was spending 50 quid on new (let's call it 75 tops), I would be looking at this: http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/1295223/c_1/1|category_root|Technology|33006169/c_2/2|33006169|Home+audio|33008502/c_3/3|cat_33008502|Hi-fi+systems|33012674.htm Which covers most of your bases.

Yes, that's a nice system and it was on offer for £49.99 just two days ago.
smiley-cry.gif

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:
Asda direct has 2 Polaroid micro systems which tick some of the boxes, the cheaper of the 2 is £40 and that's with speakers!

http://direct.asda.com/CD-Players-HiFi/AD060104,default,sc.html

Thanks for that - definitely worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS