poor plasma tv sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if it possible to connect for example a centre speaker from a home cinema system to a plasma tv to improve the poor tv sound. Could it be connected maybe by a custom made hdmi or av cable or scart or digital cable so the volume of the speaker is turned up and down as it would normally be with the tv remote. Or any other suggestions to improve the sound quality of the the tv, I have home cinema but I don't want it on all the time just to improve the tv sound when I'm watching a freeview channel. And would the volume of a soundbar be controlled by the tv remote volume control.

Thanks Mick

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You'd need external amplification to connect just a one speaker to the television -- in which case you'd be looking at adding at least one more channel for stereo and ideally a 5.1 system. Perhaps a soundbar from the likes of Yamaha would be the ideal compromise? Might be worth looking at reviews in the style speaker section to see what's potentially within your budget.

A

Anonymous

if you have home cinema , just alter the settings when you dont want all the speakers , subwoofer working at once , you could set your av amp to just output stereo , so only the two front speakers will be working , or , just send the sound to your centre speaker , it will be mono though , kinda pointless for me ...

you cant connect a speaker to the tv , what would drive it ??

a soundbar would just be similar to what your front 3 speakers currently do ?? what would be the point ....

A

Anonymous

guys , the op already has home cinema ...
emotion-43.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Good point Max! Long, hot day... not thinking clearly. Apologies to the op...

Then a sound bar would seem a little extravagant, not to mention additional clutter.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Should add, based on the quality of advice offered (myself included), it's hardly suprising he hasn't responded!
emotion-2.gif

Maybe someone experiencing greater clarity of thought than me can make a suggestion? I can't think of an obvious solution.

A

Anonymous

i guess he could turn off his av receiver , and turn up his tv
emotion-1.gif

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
mikegtar:

How about this ?

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-Q-TV2/Specs/

The Q-TV does seem to be the solution. It can connect via the TV's headphone socket thus allowing volume control via the TV remote, is easy to install and very discreet making it look part of the TV, has auto standby when not in use.

Yes it is a bit extravagant for someone who already has a seperate home cinema system hooked up, but I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. The Q-TV really is a seemless integration solution for someone who wants better sound but not have to switch on the seperate home cinema system when he wants to watch normal telly programmes.

Q-TV2 Adjusts to fit any 30" - 42" screen

Q-TV2X Adjusts to fit any 42" - 50" screen

A

Anonymous

thats like someone saying..

i like my windscreen wipers , but i dont want them both on when its only light rain , and , why do i need to clear the passanger side when im on my own in the car ? hmmm , i think ill get someone to make me up a single wiper for my side , with its own power supply , and fix it just above the windscreen , to the roof of the car
emotion-40.gif

IMPORTANT....if your reading this peter jones , forget it , i already own the patent
emotion-15.gif

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I think that "seemless integration" is the key here.

The Q-TV will give quite a bit better sound than the standard telly speakers and the OP won't have to switch on the seperate home cinema system and adjust the sound volume seperately. The auto-standby feature of the Q-TV means that no switching on/off is necessary, it looks and functions more as a part of the TV than the seperate system.

The OP's main home cinema system will give even better sound but comes with the extra switching on/off and seperate remote sound adjusting tasks which he doesn't always want to do for normal tv watching. It's those few extra steps each time that make it seem a bit more of a chore than it needs to be.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Windscreen wiper analogies aside, the solution suggested means the op has to accomodate another sub -- perhaps not an issue if he has a huge room, or can integrate it into his existing system? I just can't see an option that makes perfect sense.

Perhaps someone can invent one. Reckon that would be a better proposition for the Dragon's Den team, Max...
emotion-5.gif

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:

Windscreen wiper analogies aside, the solution suggested means the op has to accomodate another sub -- perhaps not an issue if he has a huge room, or can integrate it into his existing system? I just can't see an option that makes perfect sense.

Perhaps someone can invent one. Reckon that would be a better proposition for the Dragon's Den team, Max...
emotion-5.gif

The Q-TV sub straps across the back of the telly (it's a flat sub). No space issues there.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well in that case, it sounds as good an option as exists. Think I should leave the forum alone and get back to studying! Perhaps that's my problem today -- I've hit the point of mental saturation...

A

Anonymous

the qtv has two speakers and a sub ..

the op,s home cinema has also got two front speakers , and a sub ..

the only benefit , if you can call it a benefit
emotion-43.gif
, would be not having to use the av remote to control volume
emotion-40.gif

i think the heat is affecting people
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

A Soundbar will do the trick perfectly - you don't need to stretch to a Yahama, I bought a ZVOX 550HSD last week to sit underneath my Sony Trinitron as I don't want a full Home Cinema set up. USA only I think.

The volume is controlled by the TV Remote. You go into the TV menu and set SPEAKER: OFF, AUDIO OUT: VARIABLE (AOV) -- I've connected mine using RCA phono jacks from the TV, but you can use Coxial or Optical also (on Dolby Digital I think, but that's fine for TV),

I'm very happy with it, I intend to post a new thread in appreciation of it.

EDIT: Moved stock photo to new thread.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I am on holiday at the moment hence the delay in replying. Just one final question re suggestion from mikegtar, where would a sub be connected and would it be controlled by the tv volume control which is a must, oh and what does 'op' mean

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
mick1807:Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I am on holiday at the moment hence the delay in replying. Just one final question re suggestion from mikegtar, where would a sub be connected and would it be controlled by the tv volume control which is a must, oh and what does 'op' mean

Hi Mick,

OP=Original Poster

The flat, vibration free sub is already an integral part of the Q-TV. It lies unobrusively across the back of the tv set. There are no seperate outputs to an external sub.

The control via tv remote only works if you connect the Q-TV to the headphone socket on your telly. If you have no headphone socket on your tv then you could connect via optical cable or standard phono cables but then you'd have to use the seperate remote that comes with the Q-TV.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that shows you how it connects.

Hello Mick1807,

We've just produced a short Q-TV 'sales video' which shows and describes the product and might be of interest. It's on the home page of the Armour Home website: www.armourhome.co.uk This video is designed to run in stores right across Europe (with the appropriate local language voice over of course )

Best regards,

Steve Reichert, PR Manager - Armour Home ( Q Acoustics)

A

Anonymous

mikegtar: The control via tv remote only works if you connect the Q-TV to the headphone socket on your telly. If you have no headphone socket on your tv then you could connect via optical cable or standard phono cables but then you'd have to use the seperate remote that comes with the Q-TV.

Mike,

Depends on the TV - my TV allows variable out via the phono sockets on the back -- I have an old CRT so no digital connections. In the TV menu set SPEAKER OFF, AUDIO VARIABLE ON. Try it on your tv - I do not know whether this works for TVs with digital outs as opposed to analogue however.

mick, some Soundbars also have a Subwoofer out too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts