Poor picture on 2nd TV connected by RF

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just connected my Samsung HD-ready TV upstairs to the downstairs Sky HD box using RF cable. I know I won't get HD upstairs but the picture quality is rather poor. I've used RF because the upstairs TV is connected to a freeview aerial and the cable is buried under carpets & in walls to conceal it. I don't want to install a new cable as it'll involve redecorating etc.

Is the fuzzy picture quality upstairs something I'll have to live with? It's not as good as the freeview through the roof aerial

Terry

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
It is possible to get a good picture as far as analog expections are.
Your Sky picture over analog will not be as good as Freeview as this is digital.

What quality are your BBC channels on analog (not freeview)?
Your sky picture should be as good as analog BBC1.

Have you tried altering the RF channel number that is used by the Sky+HD for output of the signal?
It may be clashing with other channels broadcast in your area.

I have had to set my RF Channel Number to 60.
You will need to go into the installers menu to change this.
Getting to the installers menu various on whether you have the old or new epg.

A

Anonymous

The picture's worse than analogue tv. EPG is the new one on a Thomson box

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
To get to the installer menu on the new epg.

Press TV Guide
You are now in the epg
Select settings from the top menu (the spanner)
Scroll down to select Picture
On the remote enter 001 [select]

You should now be in the installers menu.
Scroll along to the option for RF.
Change you channel in here.

When changing the channel remember you will need to re-tune your TV upstairs to the new number to see the picture.
I found this is just a case of trial and error to work around channels that are broadcast in your area to find the best channel to use.

A

Anonymous

Right - retuned the RF output on the Sky box to 60, but no better.

Will try a couple of other numbers to see if improves, but am I really looking at fitting an amplifier?

Terry

daveh75

The easiest way to see if it's co-channeling(interference from same/similar frequencies) is to unplug your terrestrial aerial!

If the picture improves after unplugging the aerial then that's the issue, then you can adjust the rf channel of the sky box accordingly.

How have you got both the aerial and rf from the sky connected to the second set? Is the aerial connected into the sky box and fed along with the rf to the tv,or have you got seperate rf and aerial feed's connected to the tv through some sort of splitter/combiner arrangement?

How long is the rf cable run from Sky box to tv?

Is it good quality cable?

Have you checked all the connection's etc?

All of the above or a combination of the above could be causing your problems!!!!!

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
The best channel number will be dependant on local channels.

Look for a gap between them and test those.
Unfortunately as I previously said, it is trial and error.

You could test this out of RF1 as well just in case RF2 was causing the issue.
However you need RF2 for using a magic eye so all this would tell you was that RF2 had the issue.

I have found that RF cable can be prone to inteferrance so its not coiled up anywhere where it could be shorter?

An amplifier may or may not be necessary depending on the length of the cable.
If you are using a magic eye ensure that the amplfier will work with this as some will prevent the 9v link.

I have just checked the LCD on my desk which the RF is from the Sky+HD downstairs front room, and whilst not perfect considering this is a 30m run via one amplifier though another Sky+ and up the outside of the house to the back bedroom its slightly grainy.

BTW I don't watch this over RF as I have cat5 running composite from the Sky+ downstairs to the LCD which is perfect for SD.
The RF is only for Freeview reception.

A

Anonymous

Have reset the Sky box RF to channel 21 and everything's fine.

Thanks for your help guys.

TRENDING THREADS