jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm under considerable pressure from Mrs JW to reduce the visual impact of my HiFi; specifically my speakers. She doesn't accept that small floorstanders can be less visually intrusive than largish stand mounts, and on the basis that I am not going to compromise on sound quality, our options are limited.

Has anyone heard the PMC Wafer 1s or 2s in a purely stereo setup? I know they are rated by WHF but wonder how they really stack up against similarly priced opposition. I could get away with a small sub also (probably a REL R328 or T7). I do like the idea of combining my hobbies of hifi and photography and sticking some of my more arty efforts on the covers!

thanks in anticipation...

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
They sound remarkably similar to their traditional boxed counterparts the DB1 and TB2, that said I think they still use the old tweeter and didn't get the 'I' upgrade. PMC seem to be expanding rapidly and have just expanded their factory so I would be surprised if this is an area they may well address now they've reduced the I range. No doubt they are quite busy with wold wide demand for the Twenty series. It may be worth waiting if you can, at lease drop them an email to see.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
bluedroog said:
They sound remarkably similar to their traditional boxed counterparts the DB1 and TB2, that said I think they still use the old tweeter and didn't get the 'I' upgrade. PMC seem to be expanding rapidly and have just expanded their factory so I would be surprised if this is an area they may well address now they've reduced the I range. No doubt they are quite busy with wold wide demand for the Twenty series. It may be worth waiting if you can, at lease drop them an email to see.

Can you remember what system you listened to them with? I have a feeling that thy are more tuned for AV than purely stereo...

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have listened to the pmc wafer 2 in stereo in my own home, with a rega brio-r amp. They are expensive but I had an ex demo deal. This was my first experience with pmc though, so I only know how these sound. They have alot of bass due to the transmission line design, I think you could easily do without a sub, they have very punchy bass, but I guess with a sub you could go even deeper (though not necesairly punchier). The midrange and highs are smooth and the soundstage is okay although not the deepest but I think that has to do with the fact you mount them on your wall.

The only real issue with the pmc wafer 2 is that the midrange is a bit lower in volume which makes voices sound a bit more in the background, but if you would use these for a surround system with an AV amp you could turn up the volume of the center channel, or use an equalizer.

It are quite good speakers, not tiring thanks to the smooth mids and highs, but you have to like the PMC style bass which can sound a bit overwhelming and may leak sound to other rooms when being mounted on the wall and for music its a bit annoying that voices are a bit lower in volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts