PMC to increase prices from August 1st

Gray

And I see they've ended the twenty series.

The cost of quality - that little twentyfive21, soon to be 2 grand.

Out of interest, anyone who's compared the twenty and twentyfive 21 models, can you please describe any noteable difference(s)?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Such 'build quality' is standard for TLs. Transmission lines are simpler builds in general, no bracing like scaffolding you'd see in other speakers. That's what makes them popular with the DIY crowd. If TL was a martial art, it would be aikido. Bass reflections are managed, not supressed.

A transmission line loudspeaker is a loudspeaker enclosure design (topology) that uses an acoustic transmission line within the cabinet, compared to the simpler enclosures used by sealed (closed) or ported (bass reflex) designs. Instead of reverberating in a fairly simple damped enclosure, sound from the back of the bass speaker is directed into a long (generally folded) damped pathway within the speaker enclosure, which allows far greater control and use of speaker energy, and the resulting sound.

Ever seen open baffle speakers? The 'build quality' is almost nonexistant on those! *biggrin* Just bunch of drivers screwed on a board!

Drivers are OEM (Seas etc.) which is standard practice in the industry. Rarely anyone makes their own drivers, especially for budget residential kit. You can simply specify what driver customization you want and OEM manufacturers will make it for you, given a large enough order. Same with transformers for amps, capacitors etc.

Also they are UK made and owned. Won't be cheap even if it was a pair of nylons strung on a light wooden frame.

Notable users of the PMC BB5 include Prince and Stevie Wonder's Wonderland Studio.

eu-monitor-image02-01.jpg

iceman16

Vladimir said:
Such 'build quality' is standard for TLs. Transmission lines are simpler builds in general, no bracing like scaffolding you'd see in other speakers. That's what makes them popular with the DIY crowd. If TL was a martial art, it would be aikido. Bass reflections are managed, not supressed.

A transmission line loudspeaker is a loudspeaker enclosure design (topology) that uses an acoustic transmission line within the cabinet, compared to the simpler enclosures used by sealed (closed) or ported (bass reflex) designs. Instead of reverberating in a fairly simple damped enclosure, sound from the back of the bass speaker is directed into a long (generally folded) damped pathway within the speaker enclosure, which allows far greater control and use of speaker energy, and the resulting sound.

Ever seen open baffle speakers? The 'build quality' is almost nonexistant on those! *biggrin* Just bunch of drivers screwed on a board!

Drivers are OEM (Seas etc.) which is standard practice in the industry. Rarely anyone makes their own drivers, especially for budget residential kit. You can simply specify what driver customization you want and OEM manufacturers will make it for you, given a large enough order. Same with transformers for amps, capacitors etc.

Also they are UK made and owned. Won't be cheap even if it was a pair of nylons strung on a light wooden frame.

Notable users of the PMC BB5 include Prince and Stevie Wonder's Wonderland Studio.

Vlad.. I would love to see Harbeth’s internal pics.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Harbeth cabinets intentionally have screwed baffles so excess energy coming from the drivers is difficult to spread and some of it is spent on the parts rubbing instead of panels resonating. This eliminates the need for heavy bracing.

m30.1-1-harbeth.jpg

04.jpg

515harb.inside.jpg

compact-7es-3-1-harbeth.jpg

The PMC build quality looks fine to me.

b3d70bc6187d9455d247fa7ad40ef9d6--audio-system-speaker-system.jpg

pmc_peter.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
They are already about 20% too expensive in my view. The increases are ridiculous. I wonder if dealers like them because they sound so good, or because they have such high margins.

I agree they do seem very expensive for the materials used, but the problem is they sound so dam good !

Ex demo or second hand is your friend . *yes3*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with the materials? Veneer, MDF, custom scandinavian drivers, damping... The crossover is overengineered, no electrolytics just film caps, its nice.

Guyz, don't be discriminatory towards acoustic foam.

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

Also the video is from some greek hi-fi dealer showing off the good build quality. Seemorebutts is either trolling or being trolled on another forum.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Why would I be trolling. I have an opinion on PMC because of the price hike. They are over priced to me and looking inside them I was disappointed. I look inside the new Kef q range which are a lot cheaper and they have really tried hard with bracing inside and they make their own drivers. PMC are good speakers I'm not disputing that but over priced yes

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
For new replacement tweeter and mid range dome for my PMC twenty 26 . And that was 4 months ago. And they still haven't arrived .

As Lindsayt always mentioned, maybe ATC is better at looking after its afficianados :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
For new replacement tweeter and mid range dome for my PMC twenty 26 . And that was 4 months ago. And they still haven't arrived .

As Lindsayt always mentioned, maybe ATC is better at looking after its afficianados :)

Far less
ATC make their own drivers
Not sure that PMC do
So I bet they have made a mark up.
I'd have contacted the OEM supplier and brought directly if I were you.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:

How much???   Do they do diamond encrusted ones....?

But that is what I paid, for what was claimed to be a matched pair of drivers for my speakers.

As per their serial numbers as per prior factory measurements of my units before they were shipped :)

Sounds bull to me too :D

But there was hardly any information about their drive units in the open internet. So I couldn't go else where to procure.

And I forgot, that cost of 1650 pounds is the landed cost in India. Including customs, shipping and dealer costs too....UK pricing might be way less than this :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
newlash09 said:

Far less
ATC make their own drivers
Not sure that PMC do
So I bet they have made a mark up.
I'd have contacted the OEM supplier and brought directly if I were you.

Ploughing through sites and forums for nights together, o couldn't find any credible information regarding the drive units. So I had no recourse but to return to PMC for new units :)

newlash09 said:
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:

How much??? Do they do diamond encrusted ones....?

But that is what I paid, for what was claimed to be a matched pair of drivers for my speakers.

As per their serial numbers as per prior factory measurements of my units before they were shipped :)

Sounds bull to me too :D

But there was hardly any information about their drive units in the open internet. So I couldn't go else where to procure.

And I forgot, that cost of 1650 pounds is the landed cost in India. Including customs, shipping and dealer costs too....UK pricing might be way less than this :)
Yes, I had taken shipping and taxes into account but had thought tweeters would be no more than £100 each with the mid maybe double. So that’s £600 at worst.

They list the PMC model numbers for each driver on their own website. However, I couldn’t find anything by Scanspeak, for example, that obviously matched. Wilmslow Audio are good on such things, but let’s hope yours arrive any day!

Sliced Bread

I guess the question is where do they now sound in comparison to their peers after the price shift.

I do like PMC...alot...and I've toyed with the idea of investing in some a few times, but at those prices I'm not sure I'd consider them now.

Theirs now £700 difference between the scm11 and twenty5 21.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
PMC tweeters are custom Seas drivers. One can get a similar off the shelf Seas tweeter as a replacement. They are typically $50 each (Prestige series) and available online. For the midrange dome I'd source a replacement from Peerless. But Newlash09 wanted to keep his PMCs original so he repaired the drivers, which I think was the best decision. I had drivers repaired by professional tech before and the results were great.

PMC_Twenty_Tweeter.jpg

08.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts