Breathtaking rises in U.K. hifi prices

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I have just received an email from Audio T entitled ‘MORE PRICE INCREASES FROM JANUARY 1ST - ORDER NOW AND BEAT THE RISE’. I think we all realise that costs of some components and transport have risen during the pandemic but some of the increases are simply breathtaking. For example, B&W 707 S2 Anniversary, currently £720, as of 1st Jan 2022 they are £1,000 (+39%) with most of the rest of the B&W range having a 30-40% increase. Or the Rotel A11 Tribute amp rising from £389 to £549 in less than 2 weeks time (+41%). Or Marantz PM6007, £429, soon to be £599 (+40%).
It is difficult to recommend any as currently a Hot Deal (and it is possible that they are following Sonos’ lead in soon having them on sale back at their original prices), but if the prices stay like this we will soon all be buying hifi that is at least one rung down from what we were saving for.

Gray

Yes, there's much talk about the increases on other forums too.
I was looking on Richer Sounds, checking their current offers. Didn't expect to see the Audiolab 6000A discounted....but certainly didn't expect to see it costing more than the £599 price.
Presumably £649 is its new RRP.
To some, 50 quid is nothing. But I reckon, to anyone considering the 6000A, that represents an excessive increase.
Things aren't looking good in terms of pricing.

You’re taking the price rises from a certain retailer’s email - their “before” prices are the current prices less the 20% trade in that Bowers & Wilkins are currently offering, which runs out at the end of the month - so B&W are NOT going up 30-40%. Likewise, there Rotel prices aren’t the current RRPs. Quite a misleading email, and seems to be fooling everyone. You’d think ”the UK’s oldest independent retailer” would know better….

doifeellucky

I don't see how this applies to kit made and sold in Britain unless it's to do with the cost of importing components.
That’s what exactly what it is. I follow a channel that sells and also does repairs for the likes of Rega and Exposure and he can’t get the components, and/or they are at very inflated prices due to shipping. He mentioned a x4 increase. Obviously that’s just what he’s been told. Apparently Rega is going up 10-15%, I think, in the new year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts