Pmc db1+

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have question for the pmc db1+ owners

Rear ports have foam bungs already inside them, can i take them out if i want more bass?

It seems that the foam is kinda fixed inside, has anyone experimented without the foam ?

Hi, I don't own them but have a friend that does (she is not on the forum).
What you have is not technically a bung as in the normal speaker sense it is simply a filter covering the end of a transmission line tunnel. It is not meant to be removable and even if you did you are unlikely to hear any change in bass performance.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
As already posted the foam panel in the end of the transmission line of the DB1+ is not a bung that should be removed !

If you want more bass you can either use a more powerful amp because believe me if you hear a pair of these on the end of a amp like the Bryston 4bsst or similar, bass is not in short supply :exmark: , or you could add a suitable sub to reinforce the lower frequencies.

I love the little DB1's they are a fantastic speakers that are capable of much more that a lot of people imagine :)

A

Anonymous

i suggest you play around with placement, try moving the speakers closer to the rear walls!

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
As already posted the foam panel in the end of the transmission line of the DB1+ is not a bung that should be removed !

If you want more bass you can either use a more powerful amp because believe me if you hear a pair of these on the end of a amp like the Bryston 4bsst or similar, bass is not in short supply :exmark: , or you could add a suitable sub to reinforce the lower frequencies.

I love the little DB1's they are a fantastic speakers that are capable of much more that a lot of people imagine :)

more power hmmm.. as a matter of fact i am looking for an integrated for my db1s but dont have the dough for a bryston.

max budget is $1500 , i was thinking about the nad 375bee (150 watts of pure nad power).

do you think the nad will be a good match for the pmcs ?

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:

i see you have db1 /CA combo ,how would describe the sound, could you list a few pros and cons , i heard CA is little bit on the brighter side..

what kind of music do you listen to?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

more power hmmm.. as a matter of fact i am looking for an integrated for my db1s but dont have the dough for a bryston.

max budget is $1500 , i was thinking about the nad 375bee (150 watts of pure nad power).

Yes that Nad should do the job :)

Others to consider would be the XTZ Class A D3 Integrated amp

http://www.audiosanctum.co.uk/Integrated-Amplifiers/XTZ-Class-A-100-D3-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-Black.html

Or maybe the Harman Kardon HK 990 .

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/integrated-amplifiers/1418-harman-kardon-hk-990-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-digital-room-correction-and-dual-subwoofer-bass-management-part-iii.html

Or possibly something from Emotiva .

http://shop.emotiva.com/

The great thing about the PMC DB1's is they get better and better as you upgrade the rest of the system but will work well with almost anything .

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
John Duncan said:
Vortex160 said:
John Duncan said:

i see you have db1 /CA combo ,how would describe the sound, could you list a few pros and cons , i heard CA is little bit on the brighter side..

what kind of music do you listen to?

I'll get to this eventually, I need a real keyboard...

:rofl: by all means take your time !!

Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

http://www.audiosanctum.co.uk/Integrated-Amplifiers/XTZ-Class-A-100-D3-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-Black.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/integrated-amplifiers/1418-harman-kardon-hk-990-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-digital-room-correction-and-dual-subwoofer-bass-management-part-iii.html

The great thing about the PMC DB1's is they get better and better as you upgrade the rest of the system but will work well with almost anything .

Roksan and Creek are also worth looking at. Also the higher end Arcams.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

Would the creek evo 2 do justice to the db1s considering its 60 watts ?

Ive heard db1s can handle alot more power , my basement is fairly large, so need max quality at loud volumes.

No experience with creek neither roksan

ive heard nad gear before ,it surely does go loud without much difficulty and the bass is overwhelming in a goood way.

Also these days a little coloration doesnt hurt, given the quality of poorly encoded lossless files.Almost everything that i listen to is in flac.

Dacs reduce jitter but can they reduce harsness?

Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

Ive heard db1s can handle alot more power , my basement is fairly large, so need max quality at loud volumes.

ive heard nad gear before ,it surely does go loud without much difficulty and the bass is overwhelming in a goood way.

Also these days a little coloration doesnt hurt, given the quality of poorly encoded lossless files.Almost everything that i listen to is in flac.

The Evo2 is 85 watts RMS, and a very gutsy little amp. After having it on dem I've a real zeal for the Creek.

TBH, although the Nad has more than enough power to drive the DB1is, I don't think it'll be tonally as good as the Creek or Roksan Kandy, or even the Naim Nait 5i. The Nads tend to be very warm in presentation. Likewise the DB1is are fairly smooth, and adding warm and smooth can rob the soundstage of life.

A

Anonymous

Vortex160 said:
THESTIG08 said:
i suggest you play around with placement, try moving the speakers closer to the rear walls!

right now i have them on the tv cabinet , im looking for decent stands ,any suggestions ?

when i had my DB1i's i had them on partington super dreadnoughts filled with atabites..

I must say I like Partington stands, Dreadnoughts or Super Dreadnoughts. I know they look like a section of the Forth Road Bridge but what the heck! They look a whole lot better in silver by the way. Filling with Atabites is a personal thing some say better without. I save a bob or two and use kiln dried sand or kids play-sand. As stated previously Roksan are a good match, I have heard them with the Caspian amp and if you can find one second hand this is probably a better approach than their Kandy amp, in my view. It's all down to auditioning. If you get a good deal second hand but do not ultimately like it you can always sell it on. I would imagine the Creek would do them justice too, it is gutsy, but I have not heard this particular combination.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

The Evo2 is 85 watts RMS, and a very gutsy little amp. After having it on dem I've a real zeal for the Creek.

TBH, although the Nad has more than enough power to drive the DB1is, I don't think it'll be tonally as good as the Creek or Roksan Kandy, or even the Naim Nait 5i. The Nads tend to be very warm in presentation. Likewise the DB1is are fairly smooth, and adding warm and smooth can rob the soundstage of life.

I agree with you , tonaly naim and creek are superior than nad. I have heard naim 5i with some proac bookshelveshad an amazing depth ,detail but the dealer did point out that naim gear is revealing as any high end component.I believe he gave an example of a ferrari not performing well on a track which had bumps and cracks compared to bmw.

My gripe is that most of the stuff i listen to is poorly encoded .

i ocassionally buy tracks from juno, flac or wav mostly ...

i believe one tends benefit from the extra warmth or smoothness when listening to repetitve stuff , im not talking about trance , house music etc , more like tape loops , feild recordings , experimental ambient kinda stuff..

would an upsampling dac do any good in improving the source?

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
I must say I like Partington stands, Dreadnoughts or Super Dreadnoughts. I know they look like a section of the Forth Road Bridge but what the heck! They look a whole lot better in silver by the way. Filling with Atabites is a personal thing some say better without. I save a bob or two and use kiln dried sand or kids play-sand. As stated previously Roksan are a good match, I have heard them with the Caspian amp and if you can find one second hand this is probably a better approach than their Kandy amp, in my view. It's all down to auditioning. If you get a good deal second hand but do not ultimately like it you can always sell it on. I would imagine the Creek would do them justice too, it is gutsy, but I have not heard this particular combination.

How much do dreadnoughts cost?

was hoping to spend around 150 to 200 bucks max on stands that way i can look at some budget dacs like rdac or dacmagic plus etc..

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
[/quote]

I agree with you , tonaly naim and creek are superior than nad. I have heard naim 5i with some proac bookshelveshad an amazing depth ,detail but the dealer did point out that naim gear is revealing as any high end component.I believe he gave an example of a ferrari not performing well on a track which had bumps and cracks compared to bmw.

i believe one tends benefit from the extra warmth or smoothness when listening to repetitve stuff , im not talking about trance , house music etc , more like tape loops , feild recordings , experimental ambient kinda stuff..

[/quote]

Two of the amps I previously suggested have very good built in DAC's ( The XTZ and HK )

Here is a review of the XTZ

http://www.xtz.se/public/file.php?REF=2823f4797102ce1a1aec05359cc16dd9&art=746&FILE_ID=20100507131633_1_12.pdf

Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

Put the Nad into perspective: If you had MA silver speakers or Neat (or any speaker with a slightly forthright top end), the Nad IMO would be a great buy. However, with DB1is, which I heard many times, including home dem, benefit from an amp that's smooth/neutral. In fact Naim and PMC are a great match - one that many, including yours truly, highly recommend.

Regards the lack of detail, the Naim, although doesn't quite have the searing detail of Cyrus or Roksans, it makes up for that slight deficiency with a big boned presentation. And the spec sheet says the Nait 5i is only 50 watts. Well, if that is true then I'm Steptoe... "Harold"!

T

the record spot

I'd try the NAD but caution against it at the same time. Reviews are variable rather than constant I think and it appears to range from punchy to bludgeoning.

The HK990 is arguably a better amp, with a better power capcity onboard too; it's been measured up to 300wpc at peak but typically will deliver 150wpc at rated power on spec. This amp is BIG however, and it'll need some breathing space all round. Don't leave it tight over the lid on your rack else it'll possibly overheat. Quite a neutral sound which might work well the DB1s, but again listen. If you are interested, there are a few places in the country that have it; best price appears to be the excellent Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh who're doing it for £795. Incidentally, this amp also offers an onboard DAC to plug additional digital sources into. Coax and optical inputs from memory.

As a left-field suggestion, do look at some of the £1000 AV amps from Onkyo and Yamaha. Their budget gear works well, I use the TX-8050 network stereo receiver and have done for some time now. Performance in the setup below I simply cannot fault. The benefit with an AV amp of course is that this gives you a convenient means to biamp your speakers (thanks to the onboard multichannels) so you could use four out of five or seven amp lines, enjoy the benefits of additional power to each driver in the DB1s and not have to worry about additional power amp boxes on your shelves. Definitely worth thinking about and these amps today are more than capable of delivering, plus the additional benefits and functionality they bring that standard integrateds can't match. Makes for a compelling argument in their favour.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
shreader said:
if you have £1500 pounds to spend try the naim nait 5i amp i listened to this with PMC's and sounded perfect

The nait 5i retails here in canada for about 1600 cad , but i need an external dac too , does naim do well with non naim sources like the dac magic?

Also naim speaker cables dont give the option of bi wiring , there arent many integrated amos that offer biamping..

I need to biamp the db1s ..

Cant do that with creek... Roksan .. Nor naim .. The audiolab 8200a offers seperate terminals for biamping

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Vortex160 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Vortex160 said:
Electro said:

Put the Nad into perspective: If you had MA silver speakers or Neat (or any speaker with a slightly forthright top end), the Nad IMO would be a great buy. However, with DB1is, which I heard many times, including home dem, benefit from an amp that's smooth/neutral. In fact Naim and PMC are a great match - one that many, including yours truly, highly recommend.

Regards the lack of detail, the Naim, although doesn't quite have the searing detail of Cyrus or Roksans, it makes up for that slight deficiency with a big boned presentation. And the spec sheet says the Nait 5i is only 50 watts. Well, if that is true then I'm Steptoe... "Harold"!

I already have the MA rx6 silver, too revealing for my taste, ive hardly used them and im looking to sell them off for a reasonable sum.No comparison with the pmcs in every aspect...atleast thats what i feel.

Naim nait 5i could be a possibilty but it only offers one terminal so no biamping

What makes me really drool is the uniti series but alas thats out of my budget!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts