PMC 21

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Again,

I am currently listening to some B&W CDM1NT's being powered by my Arcam 9, I was wondering if the above could be a suitable alternative.

I find the B&W too light on bass and too bright, maybe a tad harsh at the top end. I usually use them as part of a surround set up with a Sony Av amp but just thought I would move things around a bit today.

Apart from those traits above I think they have good detail and attack, I have liked PMC speakers that I have heard, I particularly like the general tone and balance of their speakers, maybe the 22's would be better for me but have just seen some 21's at a very interesting price so got curious.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated as ever.

iceman16

Shanka said:
Hi Again, I am currently listening to some B&W CDM1NT's being powered by my Arcam 9, I was wondering if the above could be a suitable alternative. I find the B&W too light on bass and too bright, maybe a tad harsh at the top end. I usually use them as part of a surround set up with a Sony Av amp but just thought I would move things around a bit today. Apart from those traits above I think they have good detail and attack, I have liked PMC speakers that I have heard, I particularly like the general tone and balance of their speakers, maybe the 22's would be better for me but have just seen some 21's at a very interesting price so got curious. Any thoughts greatly appreciated as ever.

Hi,

I've heard both 21 and 22 at my local dealer and the 22 sounded more "meaty" than the 21. The 22 sounds like compact floorstanders with very clean and more punch.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The PMC - Arcam combination works really well IMO, and the 21'2 are lovely sounding, much better bass than you would expect from a speaker that size. Open top end without being bright at all.

My only concern with the change is you are going to be going to a smaller mid/bass driver, so the blance may be less prominent in the bass than you are used to.

Have a demo and see what you think, ideally a home demo, but if not take your amp to a shop and have a listen.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 21's and 22's are both superb speakers. I would look at 21's and a new amp rather than 22's alone. I do think the 22's is one of the top monitors available though so if you can buy them and change the amp you will get a great system.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If B&W's are ever short on anything, its not usually bass. Although the PMC's are one of my favourite ranges at the moment, I don't think they're going to improve in that are a as far as quantity is concerned - speed and agility maybe, but not quantity. They'll certainly be more open in the top end.

Are you looking to stick with standmounts?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi and thanks for comments.

The issue with the bass is that I usually listen to floorstanders so am used to the bass I get from them, also I listen at realtively low volumes, I know if I crank it up the bass comes through.
Having not listened to standmounts for music for a while I am enjoying the different listening experience of them

The harshness issue is the greater concern, I think since I got the Proac's and have heard PMC 23 and GB1i and like the smoother top end and nicer tonal balance.

I saw the 21's at a very good price and was wondering how they would compare as I would be buying blind ,the general consensus seems to be less bass, I guess I am just pondering wether to get these as can get them at half price.
I guess they will have the same tonal charcteristics of the 23.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts