PMC 21 & Sub

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello Friends,

I auditioned some speakers over the weekend:

PMC 21 - detailed, clean, lean but lacked bass weight and richness

B&W PM1 - detailed, fast, tight, rich and great bass for size - very expensive if stands are included

PMC 23 - similar to the PMC 21 but with a bit more weight in the bass and had more presence

I'm after a detailed sound similar to the PMC's but with more weight and richness - would adding a sub to the underpin the PMC 21 help me achieve that or maybe with the KEF R100 - which I have not heard before but hear are very detailed.

And - which sub would be suitable?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you are looking at speakers around this price, you should listen to the Kef R300/R500/R700....you then might find that you're happy without a Sub

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I thought I would go for the standmount and sub option as a future proof if I ever go down the surround sound route for movies.

I did audition the R300 about 8 months ago but ended up buying the MDAC - I may have to try the rest of the range.

Not sure why I didnt try the PMC 22.

The search continues.

I'm not a fan of stereo plus subs though they can work very well and I'm acutely aware of the many technical and practical benefits. Getting it all to gel is just so elusive.

My experience is that if you like fiddling with your set-up then subs will give you hours of amusement, but if you prefer just listening then get floorstanders or try different placement (and get used to no subsonics!).

I get the AV potential, but not many folks seems to square that circle - though CnoEvil is a good example of an exception who proves the rule!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
A sub can work very well in a stereo set up, the key is to get a sub that is good enough to compliment the main speakers. If you are not moving to 5.1 in the near future I would invest in a better set of main speakers at this stage. The Twenty:22's offer a lot more than the 21's and not just in the bass.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nick,

Is there a major difference between the 22's and 23's - is it worth the extra outlay?

And which sub would you recommend to underpin music.

I've used a sub to underpin a pair of floorstands in a previous life - I like the extra richness to the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts