PM6004 or upgrade to PM KI Pearl Lite?

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

I've had my PM6004/CD6004/NA7004 combo for about 18 months, the amp is driving either MA BX5 or, a more recent purchase, MA RX2 speakers at no more than the 9am position or 25% volume, maximum, (I value my neighbours friendship).

Now my question to all you kind people is would I hear any significant difference if I were to upgrade this system to the PM/SA KI Pearl Lite pairing to the same speakers? Or would this be a complete waste of money? Many thanks in advance.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure there will be a huge difference. I have heard the Pearl Lites and it sounds good and there are some good offers if you can find them about. I have not heard your speakers so can't really comment how they would work. Are you able to hear the Pearl Lites? If I were you I maybe inclined to change the cdp to Pearl Lite and hear some other amps. My favourite is the Creek 50A, also Arcam A19 should work well with MAs.

Is there anything lacking in your current system?

D

Deleted member 108165

Thank you BigH. My nearest hifi retailers don't stock the Marantz Pearl Lites so for an audtion I guess I'll need to travel. As for my current system there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all; very pleased with it in fact.

I guess I've got a bit of an upgrade bug at the moment and the Pearl Lites seem to get good reviews from owners. Just wondering if spending twice the price of my current system would render a significant improvement in terms of performance. I have read many forums that say whilst the PM6004 will drive the RX2's it will not drive them as well as they could be driven; but at the kind of volume levels I listen at I was just wondering if the Pearls would make a major difference at this level.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
At the volumes you play I don't think the difference will be great, at low volume the more powerful amp. may give you more control over the speakers. I think that some British amps may be more suitable with your speakers, yes the 6004 is not the most powerful of amps, I would demo Arcam and Creek with your speakers if you can. The Pearl lite cdp maybe worth it as it should be better built and last longer than your budget player and some good deals at the moment but they won't be around for long.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you will probably be spending money without getting much of an upgrade. I demo'd the pearl lite and prefered the sound of my age old but extremely capable pm7000.

Im glad i didnt buy blind as i would have had a bit of a down grade. As has already been recommended, try a few different brands. In fact i still havent heard an amp that beats my pm7000 and I doubt i will unless i go over the 1k mark -- which i'm in no rush to do.

Hope this helps

D

Deleted member 108165

Thank you for your replies gents, I must admit that I'm a little anal regarding matching hifi separates in the fact that they should all look the same, (yeah I know this is stuipd, but it's just me). So maybe a complete change of manufacturer may be on the cards. The specs and the look of the Creek do look good so maybe I'll try and get a demo somewhere. Thank you for your advice and input here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts