pm6003 have onboard crossover?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys, can any inform as to whether an amp like the Marantz 6003 has a built in crossover for its 2 sets of speaker outputs?

I want to set up my bi-wirable speakers so that I get just bass from my LF speakers and mids and highs from the others.

A

Anonymous

I was just about to post a topic, but this might help me too. I have a PM6003 and am looking at putting a set of Cambridge Audio Minx 212 speakers on it, however I really can't work out how I would wire it up?

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=591&Title=Summary

Would I run wire from the amp speaker outputs to the sub, then from the sub out to the speakers? Or wire from the amp speaker outputs to the speakers directly, and another set from the amp speaker outputs to the sub?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally confused.

Chris

A

Anonymous

So are you saying the amp will split the high and low frequencies?
matthewpiano said:
You don't need an on-board crossover. The PM6003 will be fine for bi-wiring your speakers.

A

Anonymous

So is it worth using both output set from the back of the amp? I do have a gold jumper plate bridging the two speaker inputs and am currently using one normal speaker cable for each speaker.

matthewpiano

I'm not familiar with those speakers. I've found the effects of biwiring vary considerably according to what speakers you are using so the only way to find out is to try it. Some speakers react well to it and others sound no different. Some (like my MAs) sound better single wired.

Just to clear something up...

When you are single wiring you still only get bass/mid-range frequencies from the bass/mid-range drivers and treble frequencies from the tweeter. Bi-wiring doesn't change this. What bi-wiring does is provide a seperate feed to each driver and bypasses the crossover, using simple filters to extract the correct range of frequencies for each driver. As I have already said results can vary considerably and it certainly isn't as effective as bi-amping (which is driving each drive unit with a seperate amp).

When you bi-wire be sure to remove the brass links from your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge. Will keep you posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts