Plumping for the Panasonic 50PX70..but which DVD player???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi...newbie here!

As the wife has let me spend some cash I have decided on the Panasonic 50" plasma but i am totally undecided and a little bemused as to what to go for DVD-wise.

I have around 300 or so DVDs and certainly want to enjoy those in as much upscaled glory as I can but should I go for a dedicated DVD player or wait a couple of months and get a PS3. I don't know whether the scalar on the panel would be better than than a Denon 1940/PS3 in all honesty so it might bot be even worth the bother for standard DVDs...obviously there is the whole blu-ray/games issue which is a completely seperate discussion.

Also, just out of interest...how does the panels scalar handle standard sky digital signals?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Beerfordolphins"]should I go for a dedicated DVD player or wait a couple of months and get a PS3[/quote]

Hi Steve

I guess it's a question of how much games/Blu-ray matters to you. You've bought a great plasma, so if you just want to make the most of your current (fairly large!) DVD collection I'd spend a bit more if you can and buy a dedicated DVD player such as the Marantz DV7001 (£600) which delivers fabulous upscaled pictures. With a screen that size it's definitely worth buying the best player you can afford.

If that's a bit too pricey, then the Denon DVD-1940 would be a good second choice. The PS3 is certainly a good DVD player, but if you're not bothered about games and Blu-ray I think a dedicated player is a better bet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts