Plinius and Proac

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Was looking at D18s to replace a set of Spendor A6s that am not wholly convinced about. Had a demo of them last night and couldnt say they were better than the Spendors just a bit different. Amps used were Naim and only 80w which seemed weak, compared to the force of a Plinius 9200.

For some reason, ProAc and Spendor cost less in Hong Kong than in the UK, but all other makes like ATC/ PMC are more than twice the price. Went to listen to the ATC SCM 40s and was quoted a price of 50k HKD (4000GBP at current rates). Couldnt believe it.

Incidentally, do you know of the Plinius SA-103 Power Amp? Is it a big improvement over the 9200? For some reason, Plinius much cheaper here compared to the UK, and the dealer offered to take my 9200 and give the SA-103 for not much extra.

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Offered an excellent price on a set of Response D2s but their maximum power rating is 150w. The Plinius outputs 200w, is that a problem?

Thanks for your help, there are no friendly hifi shops in HK to speak to, so thanks for everyones help

Hi chasefrench

As long as you're not going to be listening at constant disco like levels then D2's can be used with your 9200 amplifier. Fwiw, I've used the Hiato amplifier with Tablette Anniversary speakers on numerous occasions without any issues.

Btw, the SA-103 is an excellent amplifier and one which is significantly better then the already impressive 9200 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rick, for all your responses, I shall visit whenever I finally move back to the UK, will have to buy a whole new setup as I dont think it will be worth shipping everything home!

TRENDING THREADS