PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok.... I picked up a Denon 1909 yesterday and completely re-wired my whole setup as all wires have been routed now and are hidden.

Anyway, i am having a major problem with my new 1909 in that i can't get pictures to stay. I have a PS3 and a HD-XE1 connected via hdmi to the denon with QED leads. Then a QED 15M hdmi cable goes to my tv (sony 40w2000). My problem is this... If i turn on the amp and ps3/xe1 and start watching a movie all is fine until after about 1-2mins the screen starts to blink on and off then eventually just dissappears. The ps3 and xe1 both work hooked up directly to the tv and also through my old pioneer avr-2016s. I have been through all of the denons settings trying it with and without conversion, with and without scaling and also tried the different picture settings rgb etc.

I am litterally at the end of my tether and denon aren't answering the phones so what the hell do i do???

PLEASE HELP!

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with Andrew here - You need to eliminate possible issues and the first thing I would do is connect the 1909 to your TV with one of your shorter HDMI cables to see if it works through that. If it then works, your target will be the 15M HDMI cable. To further check this, connect the PS3 directly to the TV using the 15M cable.

If you get the same picture issue, then problem component identified - that very long cable. If the PS3 plays over the 15M cable without a hitch then you are left with two most likely possibilities; either your Denon unit doesn't send a strong enough signal to make a 15M run on that particular cable work, or the Denon unit is faulty. If it turns out that the Denon isn't pumping out a strong enough HDMI signal, then you could look at one of the HDMI signal boosters available on the market but I couldn't comment on how well they work.

I realise I'm jumping several steps ahead there so don't get too worried yet until you do all your tests!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree the longer HDMI could be an issue - i've certainly had problems with cables of this length having 'handshake' issues.

BTW, if Denon aren't answering the phone, try your retailer: they should be your first port of call if there's a problem.

Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Ok more info for you guys/gals....

Put the 15m hdmi cable directly into both the ps3 and xe1 and got no picture so what does this mean???

Faulty cable?

Help :-(

A

Anonymous

My screen is 15m away from my gear, so i can't use a shorter run. What can i do?

A

Anonymous

This does tend to make the cable the prime suspect.

Have you tried the Denon with the shorter HDMI as has been suggested?

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I would try another cable. Or take two shorter runs, say 8m each, and put a signal booster in the middle. Not cheap but it might be better than moving all your kit. Also, I don't want to offend but it does seem crazy to have your tv 15m from the rest of your kit.

A

Anonymous

welshboy:

This does tend to make the cable the prime suspect.

Have you tried the Denon with the shorter HDMI as has been suggested?

I can't because it's been installed away from the tv. With testing the cable with the ps3 and xe1 i am now sure it's the cable but what do i do? Get a replacement cable? Wont it be the same problem all over again? Get a different hdmi cable? Which one? I currently have the qed hdmi-p 15m.

Thanks everyone.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, this is designed for very long runs, but note that even with this cable runs of 15m or more are fitted with an in-line signal amplifer, and it's rather more expensive than the QED. An alternative would be to use a couple of runs of 7-8m with one of these plugged inbetween them, but even this might be rather hit and miss.

I'd suggest you should see if you can return the cable, and upgrade to something more able to work over very long runs. We use the Chord Co cable a lot, and have tried a 40m run of the Silver Plus which worked just fine.

Moral of the story? If you're going to be using long runs of HDMI cable like this, always check they work before using them in a major installation. Testing cables before they're rigged is something I learned many years back when I used to do stage lighting - much easier to fix or swap a cable at ground level than 50ft up a tower!

A

Anonymous

I'll swap my cable for the chord and let you know how i get on. Thanks for all the help.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
As Andrew said, make sure you try the new cable *before* fitting it properly to check it works (I too have learned my lessons over the years).

Also, although we've established that it's almost certainly the long cable, it's still worth double checking the Denon. You say you can't test the Denon with a shorter HDMI because it's too far from TV but can you not just take the Denon out of your rack (or wherever it sits) and temporarily place it near the TV to test it? You don't need to rig it for sound, just a picture, so take the Denon and the PS3 to the tv, plug PS3 into Denon and Denon into TV and see if a picture appears!

A

Anonymous

Gozaradio:

As Andrew said, make sure you try the new cable *before* fitting it properly to check it works (I too have learned my lessons over the years).

Also, although we've established that it's almost certainly the long cable, it's still worth double checking the Denon. You say you can't test the Denon with a shorter HDMI because it's too far from TV but can you not just take the Denon out of your rack (or wherever it sits) and temporarily place it near the TV to test it? You don't need to rig it for sound, just a picture, so take the Denon and the PS3 to the tv, plug PS3 into Denon and Denon into TV and see if a picture appears!

I agree - before you re-install all of your kit test it all out. Defo pull the Receiver out and hook it up to the Tv with a short HDMI cable and make sure all is OK.

Very best of luck!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

One for the WHF crew, isn't it a bit questionable of QED to be selling a 15m cable that can't even trasmit a signal from a brand new £450 reciever?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It may not be the cable to blame in a specific rather than general sense. Let me explain...

As a projector user, who by necessity has to use 10m+ runs of video cable, I've found all of HDMI's inconsistencies as a standard to come to the fore when running cables between different pieces of kit. Some cables will work fine between certain products and not others.

That's why we stress it's so important to try before you buy.

A

Anonymous

Ok will be getting the Chord hdmi 1.3 silver + tomorrow as a replacement. I'm still a little sceptical and concerned especially after chord told me they only build the amplifiers/extenders in to 20m+ cables now. So if the 15m one is a no go I may have to swap for the 20m version. Must say chord have excellent customer service, will report findings tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Andrew beat me to the Chordÿrecommendation.....I have the 5m to my LCD, as well as shorter interconnects, and love it. I believe they areÿguaranteedÿup to 15m and after that they use in-line/cable boosters...I would totally trust Chord.

Surprised at the QED situation though....ÿ

A

Anonymous

Ok here is my progress report...

On hooking up the Chord and getting rid of the useless QED I found myself with at least a picture (hooray) *BUT* i am getting more picture noise than when i had it hooked up with short runs of hdmi is this normal?

Don't get me wrong i am very happy with my install now but is there a way to eliminate this added noise or is it because of the long cable?

Thanks for the advice Andrew and Clare!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It suggests something somewhere down the chain isn't putting out as much signal as it should. What kind of noise are you getting? Sparklies would be the obvious one - random minute flashes of light.

A

Anonymous

Maybe an "active HDMI Cable Extender", can help.

On another thread a fellow forum member suggested this for info about long hdmi cables: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/evaluation-conclusion

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts