Please, please, please kill that AVI thread.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
And if you do include higher end systems, just make sure the components actually work well together, rather than some of the botch jobs that some seem to move from and make misleading claims.

spot on, I was never comfortable with my own level of expertise (lack of), and I know I'm not alone. A bit like the last government throwing money at a problem won't solve it. So I've put my trust in a manufacturer.

I wish I'd given an all Rega system a go at some point, as it does seem the whole is greater that the sum and the components all work for each other. Rather than systems where it's working against each other.

I bet some of the more knowledgable posters look at some sigs with raised eyebrows.

But if your system (whatever it is) makes you smile it probably doesn't really matter.

I don't personally have an issue with 'active' speaker threads. They deserve a place alongside all other formats. The only thing that really puzzles me is they can get devisive and personal - likewise with cables. This is something I mentioned on the other thread.

Like all formats, actives have merit if it's your bag...

A small suggestion: Perhaps the team at 'The Towers' could open a dedicated section for active speakers or add to the 'DAC' section (DAC/Active speakers).

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
It's the belittlement of other enthusiasts that winds me up.

The continual regurgitation of comments like "They may be too honest for certain people" drive me nuts.

But that is a valid comment, you don't have to read too many posts on this forum to realise that people like different things. Some like a bit of added colour, nothing wrong with that. It's a personal choice.

Tonestar1 said:
As does "active is always better than passive, no crossovers.

If you look at it from an engineering view, then that is almost correct. Active isn't always better, it has the potential to be better, it depends on the implementation. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact, for various reasons. This does however assume that accuracy is the goal, and the definition of better is more accurate. Again, people like different things - nothing wrong with that.

Tonestar1 said:
It’s insulting to people whom have spent years building systems that they love to listen too.

If you love your system, then relax and enjoy what you have. Why get so het up about what someone else says about their system?

Tonestar1 said:
If user reviews actually felt a bit more organic or non-scripted then I would be far keener to read. As soon as I read any of the quotes above or derivatives thereof I completely switch off.

You don't like the fact that the majority of owners have the same thing to say about them? If nearly everyone agrees, that leads me to thing they are making an accurate description of them. Not that AVI have put some kind of mind control gas in them, and Ashley is coordinating their efforts in an attempt at world domination. You say you don't like reading AVI centric posts? Then get a grip and don't read them, it is just a stereo after all

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I don't personally have an issue with 'active' speaker threads. They deserve a place alongside all other formats. The only thing that really puzzles me is they can get devisive and personal - likewise with cables. This is something I mentioned on the other thread.

Like all formats, actives have merit if it's your bag...

A small suggestion: Perhaps the team at 'The Towers' could open a dedicated section for active speakers or add to the 'DAC' section (DAC/Active speakers).

You read those links yet? :rofl:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
It's the belittlement of other enthusiasts that winds me up.

The continual regurgitation of comments like "They may be too honest for certain people" drive me nuts. As does "active is always better than passive, no crossovers. That's what recording studios use so it must be better ”. Finally "Once you hear AVI you forget about upgrades and just enjoy the music"

The message seems to be, if you can't hear how great AVI are then you must be physically/mentally/aurally deficient in some manner. Emperors new clothes springs to mind. How can these reviews be taken seriously when they continually repeat the same statements.

It’s insulting to people whom have spent years building systems that they love to listen too.

If user reviews actually felt a bit more organic or non-scripted then I would be far keener to read. As soon as I read any of the quotes above or derivatives thereof I completely switch off.

And yet still you read.

Avi aren't that special, but they do make very good speakers. Nothing revolutionary, nothing new. But unusually good at the price.

You can get similar vfm if you venture out of the big mark up Hi-fi stores and vist a pro audio shop...but then you usually lose the nice finish and grilles.

I'm an ADM9T owner. They are really good at the price, great if you add a sub (I have used 2 non-Avi ones to great effect), but I'm glad to say the market is slowly waking up to the benefit of actives.

And again. To people who don't like the threads...why read? why spend your valuable time commenting only to say it's boring? That I find bizarre. I find channel 5 seriously dull, and guess what...I don't write in and complain, I simply don't tune in.

And whether you like it or not, many people who have also spent years building up systems have turned to the active side and with it realised something.

That's not to belittle any passive system choice, not at all. But where there are fish, there are usually seagulls...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
char_lotte said:
It's nearly dead now.....just being poked with sticks now by a few passers by.

Yes , but as "it" is a phoenix it will rise again from the ashes in a more terrifying form .

phoenix.jpg

A

Anonymous

Shall we get a shooting party organised to see this rising bird thing off finally.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
JD - how about a WHF Big Question with an AVI system and another 'high end system' to prove once and for all (using blind testing, and no one knowing what they're listening to, or why they're even there) whether the claims of sounding better than a £10k system actually have any weight?

You'd have to ask somebody who works for the magazine. I did something similar but it doesn't count as it was sighted...

Does blind drunk count ? :shifty:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Messiah said:
Once you have read one AVI thread you have read them all kind of thing.

I shall follow my own advise and not read them!

They are repetitive and boring. I think I'll follow your advice and stop reading them too.

I tried. I failed.

These AVI threads may repetitive and boring but they're as addictive as cocaine. :roll:

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
char_lotte said:
It's nearly dead now.....just being poked with sticks now by a few passers by.

Yes , but as "it" is a phoenix it will rise again from the ashes in a more terrifying form .

Not so much a pheonix .... more like a zombie. However......zombies feed on brains, so it shouldn't be around much longer.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just imagine what kind of rabid, anti-active/'AVI basher' you'd be accused of being if you closed that thread or this thread. (Or the thread that calls for closing this one.)

There would be "Why did you close the AVI thread?" threads and "Why did you close the thread that asked to close the thread that asked to close that AVI thread?" threads too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts