please may I have help in choosing the right turntable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Jim_W said:
There are those who would dispute the notion that the cartridge is the single most important component in the chain; Linn has long promoted the primacy of the turntable, followed by the tonearm and finally the cartridge...not forgeting the power supply which seems to rank highly in their way of thinking. It does make sense: an excellent cartridge will amplify any distortions/ vibrations from a poorly-constructed table, rendering the expensive cartridge, effectively, a waste of money. It's a view worth considering when buying a turntable, especially a second-hand one.

That's Linn for you. Blame it on the cartridge when they couldn't produce a turntable that would work up to it's price point successfully without the addition of numerous high cost 'additions'. The original Sondek needed so may improvements it was never looked at seriously by those in the know. Why do you think you find them now with Keel / Valhalla etc, etc.

Believe me, a decently engineered turntable just has to be reasonably stable and rotate a platter at a constant speed, all else is down to tonearm and said cartridge.

Dav1d

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I can see each and every one of your points, I could spend big money on getting this right, but at the end of the day having the actual turntable there right in front of you is all that matters. I know music will sound better with a separate soundstage and better tonearm cartridge but in my eyes that's something to look forward to in the future. I'm going to get the onyx tonearm which al ears said about for now and look at upgrading later on in the year.

I can't thank you guys enough for you help and advice.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A Gyro with the Tecnoarm is a very capable TT and would be more that adequate for a lifetime !

Never to be sniffed at !

When / If you can afford an SME then it takes the TT another level, so think of a Gyro as a long term investment.

All mine does is want me to play vinyl for hours on end - I never tire of it !

Dav1d said:
Hi guys,

I can see each and every one of your points, I could spend big money on getting this right, but at the end of the day having the actual turntable there right in front of you is all that matters. I know music will sound better with a separate soundstage and better tonearm cartridge but in my eyes that's something to look forward to in the future. I'm going to get the onyx tonearm which al ears said about for now and look at upgrading later on in the year.

I can't thank you guys enough for you help and advice.

I hope you find it very enjoyable, a good choice so am sure you will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts