Please HELP - Which receiver for my 4 ohm speakers??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i'm a bit new to all this fancy sound stuff, so bear with me please!!

I bought some Wharfedale Moviestar 60 speakers and a Sony amp which didn't work with them as they have an impendance of 4 ohms. I'm looking for a new amp (cheap is better cos i've already wasted money on one!) that can work with them but i'm pretty confused. Do i have to buy an amp which can cope with 4 ohms or should a powerful amp that can deliver 100 watts per channel cope, such as the Sony STR-DG510.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
most if not all amps should cope with 4 ohm speakers but i suggest you invest in some new speakers with a 6 to 8 ohm impedence. it may be that you have a mismatch as they sound like they are configured for home cinema.can you not take them back to your dealer and ask for an exchange.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
There's a lesson in there about buying unseen and unheard online, even if you know what you're doing...
[/quote]

I did read about "how you feel about buying online Andrew", but remember some of us live in middle of no where, some of us can't afford to buy them brand new and take less than half rrp trade in price when we fancy an upgrade.

Demo is a must for most that I agree but how many time that I have bought a brand new speakers that sounded awesome in Dealer's demo room just to find they are lacking bass in my own room. Just my thought in this open minded forum.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No problems at all with buying online, provided you know exactly what you are buying and that it will all work together, as the original poster obviously didn't - hence his potentially expensive mistake.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I was talking about your (always interesting to read) article in Gramophone Mag. nice review of superNait too [thump up icon here]

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I was talking about your (always interesting to read) article in Gramophone Mag. nice review of superNait too [thump up icon here][/quote]
Dashed nice of you to say so, old chap

A

Anonymous

cheers for all your help guys.

i do live in the french alps so getting to shops insn't too easy. i read plenty of reviews and the wharfedale's seem to be pretty popular for the price. only after i encountered the problem did i find that i wasn't the only one. the problem is nobody seems to be able to say "buy this amp".

Andrew, the reason I mention the Sony amp above is actually because you mentioned it for wharfedale moviestar speakers on anothe thread here.

i've seen so many people give different advice all over the place, it's hard to know where to turn for a newbie! As you said, I don't want to make any more expensive mistakes, especially as posting amps to the alps is costly in itself!

A

Anonymous

for info, the amp i had before was:

sony str-de445
any reason why this wouldn't work? anyway i could fiddle with it to make it work?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="philosuperstar"]
Andrew, the reason I mention the Sony amp above is actually because you mentioned it for wharfedale moviestar speakers on anothe thread here.

[/quote]

Confident the Sony, or an Onkyo TX-SR505, will drive these speakers. Whether they will do so better than the Sony you already have is a different matter. What happened when you tried to run the Moviestars with the amp you already have?

A

Anonymous

it seemed ok to begin with. i used the system for music & watching movies, after just a few days of it working most but not 100% of the time, they just kinda stopped. first it was the rear speakers that stopped during a film, then the whole lot. very strange. it was a horros film but it wasn't that scary! it was loud but not ridiculous....

A

Anonymous

i've seen other threads where people linked the pioneer vsx-c100 to the same speakers so i thought i may give it a go, but i'm wary of wasting more money.... any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts