Please help to chose HiFi & Blu Ray (or other 1080p video source)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the forum and new to hi-fi. So I would like to say hallo and ask for advice.

I am going to spend ~1000 - 1200 EUR on HiFi and I need a quality source of 1080p video (I can spend 300 EUR on stand alone player - can be Blu Ray, or computer / MKV player). My first idea was to get all in one device, but it seams that I can get better quality of sound if I buy it separately...

I have 23sq meters room to fill in with sound. I expect to buy 2 speakers and already found that B&W 685 could be the great choice in my budget range. I have listened to them paired with Yamaha PianoCraft MCR-840 and found it has bass good enoug for me. It was not precise enoug for me, but I believe it was a problem of PianoCraft, not the speakers. I listened also to B&W CM1 paired with Yamaha RX-497 and Yamaha 1330 which had not enough bass for me, but had much more detail and reality, so probably something like CM5 would suit the best for me, but unfortunately it's already out of my price range. I will not be able to try 685 in any other configuration before buing it (please don't ask why :), and here I would like to ask you for advice. I listened also to B&W CM1 with Marantz CR502 and I didn't like it...

The options I am considering so far:

(1) B&W 685 + Yamaha RX-497 + Yamaha CDX-397 MkII > 970 EUR

pros: price, but is is the same or better then TEAC?

but: doesn't have internet radio (what I can find to be my first choice of source) and can't stream music from computer over WiFi (what can be useful from time to time), I prefer TEAC and new Yamaha look

open points: haven't compared it with any other full size system

(2) B&W 685 + TEAC CR-H500 > 1100 EUR

pros: timer, look, size

cons: has only 4 stars in review :), has only 40W compared to RX-497' 75W,

open points: and am not sure if the sound quality of such a small thing can be somehow compared to full size; BTW, what changes the difference between 40 and 75W?

(3) B&W 685 + Yamaha R-S500 + Yamaha CD-S300 > 1170 EUR

pros: I like the way it looks!,

cons: still no internet radio and haven't seen any review

open points: the same as in (1) and (2)

(4) B&W 685 + Yamaha R-S500 + Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray player as CD player

Maybe cheap Yamaha CD is not much better then Panasonic Blu Ray player?

What do you think and what of those 4 options would you recommend to me or maybe you could recommend something different?

When it comes to 1080p video - I could play MKV (or Blu-Ray in the future) from laptop, but I am not sure how it compares to the quality of laptop output with dedicated Blu-Ray player. I need to add that I already have quite good 1080p projector and don't want to compromise picture quality too much. Do you have any experience in this area?

Actually the perfect device for me would be quality all-in-one hifi stereo integrated with sound and 1080p video streaming over WiFi. But I am not sure if device like that with sound quality rated to 5 stars at 1000-1200 EUR price tag exists. I am not sure if it exists at all :)

Thanks in advance!

Adam

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
How about the Cambridge Audio 650BD (£400) and XTZ Class-A100D3 (£600). That doesn't leave too much for the speakers, but you can get the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (£99) and then save up for the XTZ 99.26 (£600) to match the amp.

The 650BD can be connected to the amp via both the analogue input (for SACD playback) and coaxial digital input (for DVD, BD, CD, HDCD, DVD-A, BD-Audio playback).

Connecting an AirPort Express to the optical digital input, and using Airfoil on your computer, you can enjoy music on your HDD and internet streams (Spotify, 22tracks, internet radio, etc.)

The end result may cost more than your initial budget, but it will result in a neat and tidy setup
(only 2 boxes on display) that ticks all the boxes - the 650BD even has 2 USB inputs (front and rear) and can decode MKV.

Just a thought. Happy hunting

A

Anonymous

Hi Adam,

If the number of box's is not an issue how about trying a slightly different tack with the the following:

Monitor Audio BX2's + Cambridge Audio Azur 340C + Rotel RA-04 + Sony BDP-S770

The BX2's and CA should satisfy your tight bass needs and adequately fill your room with a great sound. If you lower your sights (price wise not performance) with your speakers, you could get a great hi-fi sound and also a cracking Blu-ray source within your budget. If your desperate for the Wifi music streaming functionality, then you could drop the blu-ray player and drag in an Arcam rDac (or Cambridge Audio DacMagic) and Apple Airport Express?

Just a thought.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS