Please, help me decide!

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello Everybody!

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of very nice floorstanding speakers from a dealer. These are demo samples, with full (6 year) warranty. The home demo was succesfull, I like the sound a lot, and the price seems reasonable (about half of the new price, albeit the model is discontinued).

The problem is the following: one of the soft dome tweeters is not perfect. At first I thought, I saw just a sort of shadow on it, but soon it became obvious, that it has a shallow dent on the surface. The sound is not distorted, it seems, that it's just a cosmetic failure.

The dealer offered to change both tweeters free of charge, if I buy the speakers.

So my question is: which is a better decision? Original speakers with slightly dented tweeter, or new tweeters with the danger, that the sound will not the same, as it used to be. Or should I wait for a flawless pair of speakers in the used market?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Wolf75 said:
Hello Everybody!

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of very nice floorstanding speakers from a dealer. These are demo samples, with full (6 year) warranty. The home demo was succesfull, I like the sound a lot, and the price seems reasonable (about half of the new price, albeit the model is discontinued).

The problem is the following: one of the soft dome tweeters is not perfect. At first I thought, I saw just a sort of shadow on it, but soon it became obvious, that it has a shallow dent on the surface. The sound is not distorted, it seems, that it's just a cosmetic failure.

The dealer offered to change both tweeters free of charge, if I buy the speakers.

So my question is: which is a better decision? Original speakers with slightly dented tweeter, or new tweeters with the danger, that the sound will not the same, as it used to be. Or should I wait for a flawless pair of speakers in the used market?

I would get the tweeters replaced. I don't think the sound will change that much, should be better anyway. As its half price not much to lose?

Gray

Sounds like quite a reasonable dealer. Some would accept the defect if they were happy with the sound. But replacing both tweeters sounds like a good option.

It might seem a bit cheeky but I would be asking him if the tweeters would be identical (apart from the dent) to those currently fitted before I decided.

You could of course insist on hearing / approving the retweetered pair before buying but then he may not commit to repair with the chance of you not buying after.

Others might do this:

Get a price for the supply of a couple of tweeters matched to within 1dB of each other, from the manufacturer. Offer your dealer less than half price (more than cover the tweeter cost) then fit them yourself. They may even have push-on connectors, if not, ensuring correct polarity, quick bit of soldering, using minimum necessary heat, easy job done. The disadvantage with this option is that you'd lose your 6 year guarantee - but how many people have had to make use of a speaker guarantee?

(Mine are actually guaranteed for 20 years, but I'm not)

Small dents in that sort of driver can be pulled out with care. However if dealer is going to replace with exactly the original tweeter then bite his arm off, so to speak. :)

There are not many that would make such an offer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts