Please help me chose a new amp

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Okey dokey here goes, having recently bought a Creek Evo (to repalce a Technics machine and a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's to replace a pair of Kef Q35's) The only piece of original kit left to replace is my old faithful Musical Fidelity A1 (grill your burgers on !!!) As good as the amp is/was if can't help feeling thats now the weak link (low power, old etc) Question is what do I replace it with. Listen to the likes of Dire Straits, Neil Diamond, Genesis, Crowded House, Eric Clapton a bit of alsorts really. Dont mind looking at secondhand (especially if it gets me a better amp for my money failing secondhand what sort of money am I going to have to spend to hear a big difference of I go for new ?? Are we talking £1K ??

A

Anonymous

I'd stick with the A1 or maybe buy the new one when it comes out - should drive your RS6's fine (sensitivity 91 dB).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Before you try anything more expensive - get a Creek Evo amp from Creek's website. They do ex dems for around £330 and sometimes do new (the ex dems have full warranty and delivery is included) ones for around £350. I used the Evo with my RS6s and the combination is great.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]get a Creek Evo amp[/quote]

I would second that if the speakers wasn't the RS6. I think Creek amp's treble is a little bit forward so demo before buy.

Musical fidelity would get my shout, the A1 is very sweet and I am surprised you considering change the black beauty!, the best MF bargain are A3.2 or A3.5 which can be have for around £400 - £600. Either of those will drive MA without breaking a sweat.

Alternatively you could try the Naim Nait5 as long as you not plan to have party it could go very well with your music taste.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]get a Creek Evo amp[/quote]

I would second that if the speakers wasn't the RS6. I think Creek amp's treble is a little bit forward so demo before buy.

Musical fidelity would get my shout, the A1 is very sweet and I am surprised you considering change the black beauty!, the best MF bargain are A3.2 or A3.5 which can be have for around £400 - £600. Either of those will drive MA without breaking a sweat.

Alternatively you could try the Naim Nait5 as long as you not plan to have party it could go very well with your music taste.

[/quote]

I just get the impression that as the amp is quiet an old lady now its not up to the job, I'd really like a bit more detais and a bigger wider deeper soundstage.

John Duncan

[quote user="huddo"]Okey dokey here goes, having recently bought a Creek Evo (to repalce a Technics machine and a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's to replace a pair of Kef Q35's) The only piece of original kit left to replace is my old faithful Musical Fidelity A1 (grill your burgers on !!!) As good as the amp is/was if can't help feeling thats now the weak link (low power, old etc) Question is what do I replace it with. Listen to the likes of Dire Straits, Neil Diamond, Genesis, Crowded House, Eric Clapton a bit of alsorts really. Dont mind looking at secondhand (especially if it gets me a better amp for my money failing secondhand what sort of money am I going to have to spend to hear a big difference of I go for new ?? Are we talking £1K ??[/quote]You can get a Primare a30.1 for £500 (if I don't get there first).

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="huddo"]Okey dokey here goes, having recently bought a Creek Evo (to repalce a Technics machine and a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's to replace a pair of Kef Q35's) The only piece of original kit left to replace is my old faithful Musical Fidelity A1 (grill your burgers on !!!) As good as the amp is/was if can't help feeling thats now the weak link (low power, old etc) Question is what do I replace it with. Listen to the likes of Dire Straits, Neil Diamond, Genesis, Crowded House, Eric Clapton a bit of alsorts really. Dont mind looking at secondhand (especially if it gets me a better amp for my money failing secondhand what sort of money am I going to have to spend to hear a big difference of I go for new ?? Are we talking £1K ??[/quote]You can get a Primare a30.1 for £500 (if I don't get there first).[/quote]

Does that have a similar sound to a Musical Fidelity then ??

A

Anonymous

I see Primare mentioned a lot around here - warms my Scandinavian heart!

I had never heard of them before joinind this forum a month ago. What's so special about Primare? Do they have their own sound / identity compared to other brands in this price range. I have yet to hear any of their producs myself. The design seems just a little flashy to my taste...

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan has put the Primare name into the mix, what do you think Mr Thaiman ??? Worth a punt ?? How would say a secondhand A30.1 go with what I've got ??

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Id say look at an Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amp (possibly with the matching power amps).

Musical Fidelity X-A1 or X-A2 integrated amps. Again possibly with the matching power amps/monoblocks.

You could also consider the MF X-150 amp as well. Get very good write ups!

NAD C352 or the new NAD C355 amps could be worth taking a look at as well, i auditioned these with the RS6's and they sounded bloody fantastic! Lots of power but refined with great timing and clarity.

How's about a Cyrus 6v2 or 8v2 off Ebay? Very VERY good amps and partner well with the RS6's as long as you get the right speaker cable to tone down the slightly forward treble.

John Duncan

[quote user="huddo"]JohnDuncan has put the Primare name into the mix, what do you think Mr Thaiman ??? Worth a punt ?? How would say a secondhand A30.1 go with what I've got ??[/quote]

I just think the A30.1 is one of the great amps, full stop. I mean it's not five grand exotica, but it's the best real-world amp I've heard. Thaiman - you've heard more than me (to the nth power), what's your view?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts