Playstation store is back online.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Can't get why Sony started it, okay probably a bit of corporate sledgehammer attitude but perfectly legal , but hackers in general should be sought out and prosecuted they are NOT speaking for the masses and ulterior motives exist in some cases,

An exception I can think of is Gary McKinnon (or anyone) who hacks a system setup with default credentials of admin/password etc. The IT personnel who didn't change defaults are the ones who should be prosecuted.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
kena said:
Can't get why Sony started it, okay probably a bit of corporate sledgehammer attitude but perfectly legal , but hackers in general should be sought out and prosecuted they are NOT speaking for the masses and ulterior motives exist in some cases, An exception I can think of is Gary McKinnon (or anyone) who hacks a system setup with default credentials of admin/password etc. The IT personnel who didn't change defaults are the ones who should be prosecuted.

It was more about the way they went about it...if they didn't go about it in such a public manner i don't think they would have suffered from the large scale hacking. Sony have T&C's in place when it comes to the PS3 to stop any breaking of the console which is perfectly acceptable and legal BUT the problem arrises when you pay £300 for the console and in effect it's not yours to do with as you please which raises the question of just what do you own??

In that respect i can see the hackers point...if you pay your £300 for the console should you not then be able to do with it as you please AND just how far can such T&C's go? Currently you can't even remove the cover without breaking the warranty seal for example even though you paid for the console, it's just a little ott imo as every console gets broken eventually and there's little you can do to stop the most determined people...there is a site that buys consoles just to take them apart for example!

I agree that hackers should be sought and prosecuted but this time they raised an issue that i genuinely feel has some merit, i have no love for hackers of any kind but the issue is one that deserves consideration, that's all.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Didn't the guy do it so it could effectively run pirated games and then publish this on the internet? And that's the reason Sony clamped down on it? In which case, it's not really about just being able to do what you want with something you've purchased without interference, it's Sony attempting to protect themselves (and their game developers) from the massive losses that piracy can bring. And then the inevitable rise in the price of games as honest gamers have to pay for those who run them for free.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive recently downloaded 2 free games for my PSP but thought id let anyone know thats having similar problems: after installing the 1st game, when I tried to find a 2nd game it kept coming up with some form of error

The way around this is sign into 'account management' Transaction management' 'Services List' and select the promotions to go direct to a working screen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts