Playstation store is back online.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
From this morning the playstation store is now back up and running.The welcome back package will be availible in the next few day's.According to sony you will have a e-mail with the redeem codes to download 2 free games(from 5)and a month's free playstation + subscription.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
When I tried a couple of hours ago it was still down (well you could get onto the store, but no further)

I did hear a rumour that when they reopened the PS3 network and everyone had to give a new password, that they were hacked again

I wonder how long this is going to go on

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
I did hear a rumour that when they reopened the PS3 network and everyone had to give a new password, that they were hacked again

There was a slight loophole / exploit on the website where someone who had access to the hacked data could have potentially reset someone else's password using the data that was potentially hacked in the first run. As you can see, there was a lot of "potentially"s in there and this was pointed out and closed very quickly and Sony confirmed there were no instances where this was actually done.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
There was a slight loophole / exploit on the website where someone who had access to the hacked data could have potentially reset someone else's password using the data that was potentially hacked in the first run. As you can see, there was a lot of "potentially"s in there and this was pointed out and closed very quickly and Sony confirmed there were no instances where this was actually done.

Well 'potentially' sony could get hacked anytime. And ooo look - they have (allegedly)

Sonypictures.com been hacked this time, along with names, Addresses D.O.B.s and even passwords 'unencrypted'

Will sony survive all this?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
True, but this is a different department from the PSN so doesn't affect users of the Playstation (unless of course they independently registered to both systems). No doubt from the way Sony's internal IT is likely to work, it's effectively like hacking a different company. Whether Sony will survive or not as a result of these hackings, I'd hazard a guess and say yes.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sony corp lost 3.1 billion last year (bad year, due to tsunami, earthquakes and first hacking)

Im sure sony will pull through, but not without major changes

A

Anonymous

Sony's loss of $3.1 billion was actually due to a one-off tax charge of $4.4 billion, arising from not being able to offset tax credits from the previous 2 years loss against taxable profit.

Without that charge, Sony would have made an operating profit of $1.3 billion.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
This is way too late - and for that I apologise

But through the weekend, sony were giving away 3 HD rental downloads which I was going to post about when I get in from work on sunday.........but forgot

It ran out midnight sunday

Im disgusted at sony doing this though. Very few people ever knew about it

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Can someone please tell me where these codes are?

received an email last night saying all back on line blah blah blah but no codes

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
How on earth can Sony giving away 3 HD rentals disgust you? Because they didn't market it enough? Plenty of companies do surprise give aways without marketing and only the lucky ones get the offer - this generally doesn't seem to disgust most people.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
True Blue said:
Can someone please tell me where these codes are?

received an email last night saying all back on line blah blah blah but no codes

Hi there - just logon to the PSN through your PS3 (changing your password if you need to), then go into the Playstation Store - you should then see the offer for three free games and the 30 day free Playstation Plus membership in there. Just click and choose - no codes required.

(EDIT - if you don't already have them, I can recommend inFamous and LittleBigPlanet).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Good choices - Burnout Paradise is a lot of fun!

I already owned most of them unfortunately so limited to Ratchet and Clank and Dead Nation, but will see what they're like! Good to see they're at least offering genuinely good games though rather than a few back catalogue titles no one had heard of.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
How on earth can Sony giving away 3 HD rentals disgust you? Because they didn't market it enough? Plenty of companies do surprise give aways without marketing and only the lucky ones get the offer - this generally doesn't seem to disgust most people.

Because they gave them away for the people that have had no PSN for the last 3(?) weeks

MANY more people would have downloaded a film or two had they known about them im sure. They emailed (late) about PSN being up, about me getting 2 free games (Which I appreciate) and a months free playstation + (not tried this yet so cant comment), so why couldnt they let people know about the films??

Did YOU know about them? Do you not think its unfair?

If the free games etc had run out midnight on Sunday would you not have cared?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Did YOU know about them?

Nope.

aliEnRIK said:
Do you not think its unfair?

Not really, but I can just about understand why some people might be a bit annoyed that they missed out, but that's it. And I wouldn't expect them to be annoyed at Sony, just annoyed that they didn't get the offer.

To be disgusted about it just seems to be a bit overboard from my point of view, when all that happened is they gave away something free and some people missed out on the offer. Would you have been less disgusted if they'd given no HD films to anyone? I would assume so as we wouldn't even be having this conversation if there had been no offer. To be disgusted (or even annoyed) that some people got something for free because they were online and others weren't just doesn't make sense in my mind.

For example - I was walking through Victoria station the other day and some people were giving out free cans of Coke Zero. There was no marketing anywhere outside to indicate this was happening - should we be disgusted with Coca Cola that only people who went into Victoria station got this offer and not the people who walked past outside?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
So you wouldnt be bothered if youd missed out on the free games and playstation+ either?

Hey, your call: just dont have a go at me for not being happy about it

By the way, the coke analogy is rubbish. Coke doesnt affect me at all. Sony getting hacked with my details in them does (Even if just morally)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
aliEnRIK said:
Did YOU know about them?

Nope.

aliEnRIK said:
Do you not think its unfair?

Not really, but I can just about understand why some people might be a bit annoyed that they missed out, but that's it. And I wouldn't expect them to be annoyed at Sony, just annoyed that they didn't get the offer.

To be disgusted about it just seems to be a bit overboard from my point of view, when all that happened is they gave away something free and some people missed out on the offer. Would you have been less disgusted if they'd given no HD films to anyone? I would assume so as we wouldn't even be having this conversation if there had been no offer. To be disgusted (or even annoyed) that some people got something for free because they were online and others weren't just doesn't make sense in my mind.

For example - I was walking through Victoria station the other day and some people were giving out free cans of Coke Zero. There was no marketing anywhere outside to indicate this was happening - should we be disgusted with Coca Cola that only people who went into Victoria station got this offer and not the people who walked past outside?

Tbh the movies they were giving away for free rental were all useless anyway so there's absolutely no reason to get annoyed as they were Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Resident Evil CGI Film and The House Of The Dead 2....all complete tripe at best and best avoided in the first place lol!

I did see them on the movie section in PSN and then laughed...is that the best they could come up with when Sony own one of the biggest movie companies in the world?? To offer these movies as compensation for the debacle of PSN being down for so long is an insult imo and Sony just weren't even trying especially when the game offerings are so good in comparison, i'm wondering if it's more a case of the PSN movie rental/own system just not being very popular? They have only just started adding a 5.1 soundtrack to movies on there for example.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Sony getting hacked with my details in them does (Even if just morally)

Always a risk when you give any company any personal data I'm afraid - I see Nintendo and various other organisations have been hit recently. The only way to avoid it is not to do it. I do find it interesting that no one has anywhere near as much to say about the actual hackers compared with the hatred poured on to Sony.

aliEnRIK said:
Coke doesnt affect me at all.

That's not true - it rots your teeth
smiley-laughing.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agree with you there OldBoy, this all comes from the speculation that these movies were offered for free for compensation for the downtime of the PSN. However, I've not seen any official annoucement about this - it only lists the free games and the 30 day Playstation Plus package for this. So I don't think anyone can justly complain when it was never offered (though others clearly feel differently).

I suspect, as you say, this was just an attempt to boost popularity for the movie download service and has nothing to do with the outages - though again, I agree, it's a baffling choice of movies to try and achieve this!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Tbh the movies they were giving away for free rental were all useless anyway so there's absolutely no reason to get annoyed as they were Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Resident Evil CGI Film and The House Of The Dead 2....all complete tripe at best and best avoided in the first place lol!

I did see them on the movie section in PSN and then laughed...is that the best they could come up with when Sony own one of the biggest movie companies in the world?? To offer these movies as compensation for the debacle of PSN being down for so long is an insult imo and Sony just weren't even trying especially when the game offerings are so good in comparison, i'm wondering if it's more a case of the PSN movie rental/own system just not being very popular? They have only just started adding a 5.1 soundtrack to movies on there for example.

Horses for courses

I think Final Fantasy looks amazing in HD - and im a Resi fan anyways

personally I have no interest in any of them as I already have 2 of them in HD and the last is utter rubbish (But ive downloaded it anyways out of sheer intrigue as to how decent the store is for HD)

Regardless, it would be nice to know that they exist for me to download them in the 1st place

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Agree with you there OldBoy, this all comes from the speculation that these movies were offered for free for compensation for the downtime of the PSN. However, I've not seen any official annoucement about this - it only lists the free games and the 30 day Playstation Plus package for this. So I don't think anyone can justly complain when it was never offered (though others clearly feel differently).

I suspect, as you say, this was just an attempt to boost popularity for the movie download service and has nothing to do with the outages - though again, I agree, it's a baffling choice of movies to try and achieve this!

Im not going to say this for certain as its been taken down now (Seems to be the case with a lot on the sony PSN site), but im pretty sure the webpage mentioned they were free due to the hacking debacle

Even if im wrong about this (I literally 'skim' read it so im not 100% sure myself), as sony send emails every week about PSN updates, that was one I would have been possibly interested in

As it stands, it must have passed most PSN users by completely

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Always a risk when you give any company any personal data I'm afraid - I see Nintendo and various other organisations have been hit recently. The only way to avoid it is not to do it. I do find it interesting that no one has anywhere near as much to say about the actual hackers compared with the hatred poured on to Sony.

Not so with me at all. I kind of feel sorry for Sony. Kind of because theyre a huge corporation that thought they could get away with anything and it majorly back fired on them

Im in the camp that I own my PS3, what I do with it is upto me entirely. If I was clever enough to crack it and write my own software for it thats entirely my choice. If somone else is clever enough to crack it and write software for it, so long as the software itself was legal (ie - not breaking copyright laws or whatever), then it should be entirely my choice if I decide to use that software or not, even taking into account I might never be able to play online or use PSN again

Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking that right away from me

Now I do feel sorry for them as this hacking lark has cost millions and people have posted seething hatred at sony for 'allowing' (!) themselves to be hacked

That is wrong. Anyone anywhere can be hacked, its not sonys fault they were hacked (Although morally I see why they were hacked). For people to blame sony for being hacked is wrong.

My take is this:

Its free to use so no one can complain at that.

But ive entrusted sony with some of my personal details which in my view theyve failed to protect. Not because they were hacked, but because their protection of the information was very poor (And not just on PSN it seems)

I felt I was due some form of compensation due to the PSN service being down for more than 2 days. 2 free games and the playstation + membership for a month im happy with (Although I can understand why some people are upset with them being such old games. I personally already owned 2 of them)

But I also like to be treated fairly. So regardless of why the vids were offered, and putting the quality of them aside, I feel sony should be doing more to inform me that they exist at all.

However, I must also give praise to sony for turning PSN off at all (And especially for such a long period of time knowing that that in itself will upset a lot of PSN users). Some online websites who shall remain nameless decided that it doesnt matter that theyve been hacked and that members details are at risk, they should keep on running it anyways!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Well said aliEnRIK but i would point out that Sony did bring the hacking attack on themselves. It all goes back to when they took a now famous hacker to court over breaking the PS3 infrastructure, the person in question never done anything with it as it's impossible to anything useful with it but the fact that he posted how he done it for all to see over the net rattled a few cages at Sony.

Sony of course were well within their rights to take this action BUT Sony would definately have known at the time the possible consequences of taking this action as the hacker community are very proactive when threatened! I'm not saying Sony should never have taken any action atall but they should have been aware of what would happen if they did and protected themsleves and their customers against any possible retaliation...they obviously didn't or perhaps thought that hackers would not react to an isolated case, who knows.

What i'm trying to say (poorly i admit lol) is that Sony could have handled the initial breaking of the PS3 much better and avoided the whole retaliation senario that played out after wards, every console in the last decade has been broken but no one went after those responsible in quiet the manner that Sony did and therefore alot of the blame must be placed at their door i'm afraid.

I've no love for hackers i must add and it drove me mad that they brought down the entire PSN network for so long but from my point of view Sony started it....now the hackers are trying to finish it, and Sony!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts