Playstation 3 Stream HD content Question...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, I was watching the Dark Knight yesterday and found out using the "Select Button" on the PS3 remote that the videa data was being streamed at roughly over 20MBS.

However the Audio was being streamed at 48Khz at a constant 448kbps (Dolby Digital). After using the menu and changing the Audio to Option "2" - The Audio then was streaming at 48Khz at a rough average of 1.6Mbps. (This is most likely DTS?) I was unable to get the Dolby True HD Signal, which the disc can stream and my amplifier the Denon-4308 to work in sync. Other blu ray discs I tried presented the same problems.

I checked the settings in the Audio section of the PS3 which were set to automatic and all the formats were checked. I then tried to manually set the Audio options in the PS3 to just Linear PCM signals. Again nothing over 1.6Mbps Audio streaming. (All my information about the Mbps is from this months Blu Ray section within the magazine, trying to get the sound sorted :) )

Cable from my PS3 to the Denon is the Chord HDMI Silver Plus 1.3 & Also has the latest firmware updates on the unit. The Denon automatically sets itself to "MULTI CH IN" to recognise the PCM signal being sent to it

Any ideas? Thx

A

Anonymous

Hi Vinny

First, let's clarify the PS3's audio output capabilities. It can't stream audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio from its HDMI output, so for the time being - pending any further firmware amendments to the PS3 spec - you won't see those messages being displayed on your AVR-4308's fascia. As you point out, all you'll see is 'MULTI CH IN'.

Worry not, though. If your PS3 is set to output linear PCM from its HDMI socket, you're fine: your PS3 can decode (more accurately, ÿ'unzip') Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio into PCM audio before sending said data down the HDMI into your Denon.

Should you feel disappointed by that? Depends on how much value you place in seeing a TrueHD or DTS-HD MA message on your receiver. It's important to be clear that unzipping a TrueHD or DTS-HD MA file onboard your PS3 is not a lossy or sonically harmful process: it's also no different to the procedure your Denon will go through should be it sent the same data 'natively'. True HD and its DTS rival are simply sophisticated packaging systems that allow multichannel PCM to fit into a smaller space on a Blu-ray disc.ÿ

As for the bitrate indicator - relax, your PS3 isn't finding a 1536kbps DTS 'core' soundtrack from nowhere. It's playing the Dolby TrueHD-packaged PCM soundtrack on the disc, just as it ought to. But that doesn't mean you'll always be pinned back in your seat by ultra-high-bitrate data: if there's no particularly stringent need for huge amounts of data for that particular moment of film, then it simply isn't used, just as the LFE (low-frequency effects) bass channel isn't always utilised for every moment of film. For an example, try the start of Chapter 13, where the Joker storms the party: that goes over 2Mbps, albeit briefly. I couldn't try the Batpod chase sequence (a meeting calls) but I'd imagine that will go higher still.ÿ

Besides, whether hovering around the 1.5Mbps mark or going higher, the salient point is that the film sounds rather good.ÿ

Hope that's of help.

Cheers

Andyÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

The advice as always on the forums, was excellent.

The TrueHD light, makes no difference to me, as long as the sound works :)

Just to clear something up for someone with relatively no experience with surround sound. The variable audio I am currently experiencing (from 1mbps to over 2mbps) - is essential a version of HD sound (albeit in Linear PCM format).

My confusion came from looking at the graph in the latest What Hifi issue, within your guide to blu ray section on page 23.

And agreed Andy - the sound was simply stunning. And after reading your review on the PS3s sound quality - I shudder to think what the Denon 2500 would be like :)

A

Anonymous

Hi again

Yes, the audio you're getting is HD - it's a variable rather than fixed datastream, with more data (in Mbps) being used when the soundtrack's demands require it. The graph reflected the maximum bitrate possible for each audio codec, not the bitrate used for each and every disc.

Nice receiver, by the way. I've got one myself.

All the bestÿ

Andyÿ

A

Anonymous

Excellent Andy - Thanks for your continued help.

Yea, very nice reciever. I was amazed at the technological advances in sound & video from my fathers 3805.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts