playing tv through speakers need help

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i bought 12 months ago a lg42inch 1080p tv got a good deal but i did not do any research i have a optical audio out only, so how can i connect a set of speakers to them via a stereo amp ???? my future amp will be 5m away from the tv under the stairs with cdplayer dab and turntable,

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you only have a stereo amp and an optical digital output, you'll need a digital to analogue converter, or DAC, between the TV's optical output and the amplifier's input.

Are you sure the TV doesn't have a stereo analogue output? It may have a pair of red and white sockets, or you may be able to get audio from it via one of the Scart connections.

The worst case connec tion would be the headphone socket, but in my experience these always sound horrid, and can be prone to interference.

Let me know the model number of the TV and I'll do some digging to see whether we can find you a solution.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
not necessarily but you mentioned moving everything under the stairs, which is what I'm doing, so I assumed you meant an AV amp as well, which certainly should have an optical in, however I've probably been reading too much into your other post, so apologies for that.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
all i have is a tv xbox360 and sky hd.

i have £1950 on the 3rd of april and i want to do something to upgrade i have looked at everything ,i like 5.1 but i love music more i like the look of my room so speakers everywhere is not a must. i like the sound of getting a hifi setup with a wireless remote and putting everything under the stairs but i want everything coming out my speakers via a stereo amp so if i could save money on not getting a av amp the better my hifi set can be. i hope that makes sense.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
reading everyones thoughts would taking a 5m optical out the tv into a dac (magic from r/sounds ok?)then from the dac into the stereo amp i go for.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK now have checked, and the only way is either to use the optical out with a DAC, as I suggested before, or to use one of the Scart sockets, which are both in/out types, with a cable such as this.

jw38r.jpg

, though you'll only be using two of those plugs - the red and white audio out ones.

It's about £15 from Maplin here

Or you could just use one of these

, again from Maplin, with a pair of conventional stereo interconnects.

The adapter's about a tenner, and you could get a 5m interconnect run for the right side of £20, which I reckon would be more than good enough for this hook-up.

The DAC is one way to go, but it's the expensive option and I suspect the digital output from the TV won't be all that great, so it might be a lot of dosh to achieve what you could otherwise do much more inexpensively in analogue.

Similar adapters are available from a number of retailers, both online and in the real world!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
you are a great help i like the 35 pound way so i can now look at amps cd players and dab radios ill be back soon for more great advise

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I might be missing something here but this is either an integrated stereo amp or there's a pre-amp involved somewhere, in which case would there not be an optical in smuggs can use?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you have a DVD player/recorder (especially if it also has a built in Freeview tuner) then look to see if that has digital audio out.

The quality of the digital audio output from my DVD recorder (via a DAC) is way better than that from the TV and superior to the RCA analogue outputs from either. (As a 'bonus' I get excellent results with Freeview radio this way as well. Certainly superior to DAB at least.)

Suitable DACs (with optical input) start at around £125 for a good one like this...

http://whathifi.com/Review/Beresford-TC-7510/default.aspx

[Edit] Sorry just seen your last post and you do not have a DVD player/recorder. At least £1950 will go a very long way to getting a great system up together. If you do decide on one I can recommend the Panasonic DMR-EX78 (DVD/HDD/Freeview recorder with HDMI upscaling). I am getting great sound and pics (and radio) from it....

http://whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-DMR-EX78/

It would make an excellent source - in combination with with the DAC I linked to earlier - for about £400 in total.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:I might be missing something here but this is either an integrated stereo amp or there's a pre-amp involved somewhere, in which case would there not be an optical in smuggs can use?

Very few stereo integrated amps, and even fewer preamps, have digital-to-analogue conversion built-in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts