Playing in a system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What does it actually do?

I've noticed the difference with my speakers, the cones used to rattle a bit with bass, but they seem comfortable now with that. What does playing them in do to electronics and speakers? And there's a marked difference in quality too.

What needs some warming up, DACs, CD players too?

idc

Hi chris, if your speakers were rattling a bit then I would check to see if the screws holding the cones in place are tight. Unfortunately that tends to need special allen keys/screwdrivers and not just the stuff in your toolbox.

All electrical equipment warms up and has an optimal operating temperature. I had a Rega Mira amp that ran hot and it did need time to get going. Other equipment usually sounds the same cold and warm to me. No that my DAC etc gets that warm.

As for playing them in, do you mean running in or burning in? My headphones are notorious for needing hundreds of hours of playing time to run in. To me that has been the case. I can see why amps can need time to run in as capacitors can apparently change shape slightly with use. But I have only noticed a small difference.

Then there is the topic of cable burn in times. My last cable buy was Silver High Breed interconnects, which are made with silver cable (not wholly) which is again notorious for needing burning in. I did notice a slight lessening of treble harshness and firming of the bass as the cables burned in.

But in my experiencve you need to listen out for such differences and they are not night and day.

A

Anonymous

My case was just on the side, I only thought about it whilst listening to my system. My point is that everyone always talks about burn in, running in, playing in, but what does 10s-100s of hours of play time do to speakers, cables and electronics, in a physical sense, you mention the capacitors, this can't be the case for speakers and cables.

And what's the difference between burn in and run in?

As for warm electronics, (5-30 mins of playing) I understand that, trying to operate a telescope and guidance computer in the cold taught me that.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Speakers just loosen up a touch, rather like running in a car engine. Or resting some meat after roasting, it just makes them a little less uptight.

Same thing really, burn in or run in, but you tend to burn in electronics.

TRENDING THREADS