Question Playing 24 bit music via USB on Marantz CD6006

Ian K1970

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
System: Kef Q90, Audio Fidelity M2Si, Marantz CD6006.
I would like to play hi-res files (24bit 192khz) via the USB on my CD6006. It says it is compatible with these files. However, I have tried various (legitimate) websites and downloaded the files, trying free samples initially. Some have been in .wav format, others I have converted. The player says, unsupported when I insert memory stick - except with one file, which it played and it sounded amazing.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I am going wrong or if there are any sites which I can purchase compatible files? The USB memory stick is formatted correctly.

Many thanks
Ian

Also, the system I have sounds overly bassy with CDs - is there any way I can reduce this - it seems to drown out midrange. Do I have a poor match for my system? My amp has no tone/bass controls.

No idea about the USB part. I'm presuming you mean Musical Fidelity, rather than Audio Fidelity?

Any issue with excessive bass is most likely down to speaker placement and interaction with room. What size is the room, and where are the speakers sited in relation to walls? Those KEFs look like they need both room and space.

Ian K1970

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I meant Music Fidelity, written in a rush. The What HiFi review of the CD6006 says that the cirrus decoder is 32bit/192hz, and that the USB connection will support it. I did get one hi-res file to play and it sounded significantly better than the CD.
This is an extract from the review of my model:

"It’s a high-quality, high-resolution (24-bit/192kHz) Cirrus Logic CS4398 affair that’s capable of dealing with better-than-CD-quality digital files. It can be accessed via the USB input, so if you’ve any hi-res WAV files on a USB stick then the 6006 can becomes a hi-res audio player. The USB will also handle (lower quality) MP3, AAC and WMA files, as well as being a direct input for Apple devices."

RE: boomy sound - the speakers are placed in the corners of the room. The room is about 18foot square approx.
Thanks again to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply,
Ian

Dont know where that quote came from because in their review of the CD 6006 UK edition they state:-
"Look around the front and you’ll find a clear display and simple button layout. There’s also a USB input, which allows the connection of Apple products and USB memory devices. It’s compatible with MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC files."

Reactions: Ian K1970

Ian K1970

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I meant Music Fidelity, written in a rush. The What HiFi review of the CD6006 says that the cirrus decoder is 32bit/192hz, and that the USB connection will support it. I did get one hi-res file to play and it sounded significantly better than the CD.
This is an extract from the review of my model:

"It’s a high-quality, high-resolution (24-bit/192kHz) Cirrus Logic CS4398 affair that’s capable of dealing with better-than-CD-quality digital files. It can be accessed via the USB input, so if you’ve any hi-res WAV files on a USB stick then the 6006 can becomes a hi-res audio player. The USB will also handle (lower quality) MP3, AAC and WMA files, as well as being a direct input for Apple devices."

RE: boomy sound - the speakers are placed in the corners of the room. The room is about 18foot square approx.
Thanks again to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply,
Ian
Dont know where that quote came from because in their review of the CD 6006 UK edition they state:-
"Look around the front and you’ll find a clear display and simple button layout. There’s also a USB input, which allows the connection of Apple products and USB memory devices. It’s compatible with MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC files."
It was in What Hifi, I can post link. Wav files can be 24bit/192khz. You are probably right though as they don't work. Except one.

I’m not sure whether the cd6006 is the same usb as my SA14S1SE but I had to format the memory stick to FAT32, then I ripped my CDs at mp3 320 and that was what worked for me.
the rear usb on my sacd player is what is used to play high res files from A pc.
partitions on the usb stick cause problems too.
tbh, it’s quite a faff about, but Now, I tend to use it most, more for convenience than s.q.

Reactions: nopiano

Ian K1970

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
. .and it was FLAC that didn't play?
What does the manual say about FLAC files?
OK I've read the manual and you are all right - it will support WAV but only up to 16 bit quality. So looks like I will invest in a streamer/hi res audio player or something. Thanks to all. And speakers now sound far better repositioned. What Hifi review was incorrect. Tut tut.

manicm

OK I've read the manual and you are all right - it will support WAV but only up to 16 bit quality. So looks like I will invest in a streamer/hi res audio player or something. Thanks to all. And speakers now sound far better repositioned. What Hifi review was incorrect. Tut tut.

The CD6007 does support high res files, if you're still this way inclined.

What HiFi reviewers seem to be contradicting themselves then as here they state:-
"You’ll need to use the front panel USB Type A socket to get the files into the player, as there are no other digital inputs here. You can play hi-res PCM music up to 24-bit/192kHz and DSD128. The last generation model could cope with 48kHz files at best and not DSD"

Ian K1970

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Just to conclude, I bought a bluesound node and a Tidal subscription and it sounds awesome with 24bit music. Noticeably better than CD - but like the difference between DVD and blue-ray. Thanks to all.

Dom

Hi Gray.
Do you believe that hi-res adds anything to the sound. I admit that I output to the DAC at 16Bit 48khz which is hi-res because it seems to sound best. Surely anything more actually degrades the sound quality?

I appreciate you find hi-res material better.

Last edited:
Do you believe that hi-res adds anything to the sound
I haven't found that to be the case - but all that really tells me is that my CDP plays its wares as well as the considerably cheaper BR plays the limited range of SACDs I own - to my ears, at least.

(But I'm veering off topic just a little - you're more than welcome to start a separate thread if you want to explore others' views.)

Gray

Hi Gray.
Do you believe that hi-res adds anything to the sound. I admit that I output to the DAC at 16Bit 48khz which is hi-res because it seems to sound best. Surely anything more actually degrades the sound quality?

I appreciate you find hi-res material better.
I agree with the findings of others Dom, when they say that it's much more about the original recording quality than any difference between (uncompressed) playback resolutions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts