Plasma screen and amp

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've just ordered a Panasonic 42 inch plasma and intend to connect this to my hi-fi. Hi-fi is Arcam A85/P85 biamped into Dali Ikon 6. At the time being I only want to connect it up so that I can have either sound through the plasma or through the hi-fi. Home cinema may come at a later date but it won't be for a couple of years yet at least, in fact until I move house which may never happen! What cable do I need? Can you suggest something that is reputable please?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Which model did you order? some models have a audio out on the rear and some dont but more often than not this output is a optical digital one so it would depend on if your Arcam has a digital input or not as to if you can do what you would like to do or not.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

it has RCA phono type connectors (L, R) (1 set rear), so a set of phono cables is probably the job. can't see any detail of an optical out - although most do nowadays surely?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I'm still a bit lost though.

Does it work in roughly the same way as other equipment like a CD player? I have a DVD player too which I'd like to run through the amp.

A

Anonymous

Yes it works like any other bit of hi-fi. Just connect it to the amp with stereo phono cables and you'll be surprised how good the sound will be. Why anyone would want to use an optical connection is beyond me, firstly there signal would have to be converted to digital from analogue in the first place, and then converted back in the amp (why on earth??) and secondly most hi-fi, non-av amps can't do this anyway. (Unless I'm much mistaken).

So connect it via analogue and do the same with the 2 channel output on your DVD player and enjoy superb stereo sound. Now, just remember to turn down the volume on the Panasonic if you've used a scart to hook it to the DVD player as this will carry audio as well and you'll end up with two sounds coming at you at once, one will usually be ever so slightly out of sync with the other. So, use one or the other, but not both simultaneously!

All the best and enjoy the Dalis. I love mine!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Checking with a PDF of the owners manual for this TV the RCA's on the rear of the set are for input only so the above mentioned method will not work. And according to Panasonics web site this perticular model has no audio output to other components, only audio is via built-in speakers or headphone socket.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm always amazed the things manufacturers leave off their machines! You can buy a headphone to phono jack and connect it that way. You'll still get massively superior sound quality on TV broadcast viewing than you would from the TVs built in speakers.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Will Harris"]You can buy a headphone to phono jack and connect it that way.[/quote]

Yes you could do it in that way but the quality of the sound would then be dependant on how high you have the tv's volume set bass, trebble etc. There is also the fact that the headphone socket is placed under a flap on the front of the tv meaning that you have to leave tis flap open and have cables hanging out of the front of your tv perminatly, not very pleaseing on the eye now is it?
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Damn, that does sound ********! It turns out that the PX70 model has no phono outputs and the PX700 does. So did you go for the cheaper model or the premium model? Therein lies the difference! The are cheeky, Panasonic, I mean you put in a nice Freeview tuner and then fail to allow connectivity to make the most of it. D'Oh! I suppose they need some differences or no-one would buy the premium model. But now you have good reason to! PX700 is £1000 with pedestal stand. Check Kelkoo and you'll find a range of suppliers upwards of £970 incl. delivery.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
These are things that alot of people dont look into before buying a tv Will, the sets may look simular on paper in terms of proformance but the cheeper model more often than not is ommiting little things like audio out etc.

A

Anonymous

how about scart to phono???

That should do it, i have one lying sround i used for this before. saved cables hanging out the front of the telly

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="aarw"]
how about scart to phono???

That should do it, i have one lying sround i used for this before. saved cables hanging out the front of the telly

[/quote]

Providing that one of the scart socket is a in/out then that might work but not sure if you can output the tv's built in tuners via the scart
emotion-40.gif
time for a call to the Panasonic technical helpline.....ring ring...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts