Pioneer VSX923 issues

leamingtonspaceman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just recently bought a Pioneer VSX923. I've got a few issues with it though. I guess I'm just after finding out if anyone has any of these problems, or similar or if anyone can offer any advice?

1. I've noticed that the amp speaker display light array 'freezes' occasionally when using any of the standard surround modes. Normally, with 5.1 the six lights are lit to show a 5.1 signal being received. The LFE channel light also has the little '(( ))' indicators. Then when a stereo source is input the display will just show left and right speakers to indicate a stereo source. However, I'm finding the amp sometimes gets stuck with 5.1 speaker indicator lights lit and the LFE indicator lights not flashing. This happens mainly with Sky digital TV with sound via co-ax. The problem also happened on another input...my WDTV Live Hub via HDMI. I was watching a 5.1 Dolby Digital .mkv file. The speaker indicator lights were lit (FL/FR/CTR/SURR L/SURR R/LFE). For no apparent reason, the LFE indicator froze and was permanently on, regardless of whether an LFE signal was present. When pausing playback on say, Sky or the WDTV (and thus no audio present), the speaker indicators will stay lit whereas normally they will all go out when no audio is present. Also, when this happens with Sky digital TV, the 5.1 lights stay lit even when Sky switches to a stereo input signal. Normally, the speaker indicator lights will just show the L and R lights lit.

It could be easy to assume the display is fine unless you notice that the LFE indicator has frozen.

2. Many Sky digital TV broadcasts have DD 5.1 that have commercial breaks in stereo or intros in stereo that then switch to DD 5.1. When these broadcasts automatically switch to DD 5.1 from stereo or vice versa, my amp makes a loud 'pop' from the speakers. This only happens with NeoX selected. Any other setting is fine. I like NeoX as it seems the best at utilising my front-wide speakers.

3. When I select INTERNET RADIO using the 'NET' button, it will play the station already selected. However, when I press either the up or down arrow buttons to scroll through stations it often won't scroll. This also happens with the 'favourites' option in that it'll play the last selected station but won't let me scroll through the saved stations.

Any help would be appreciated.

leamingtonspaceman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
No idea. No help. But it sounds b*****y annoyin.

Well, it's mildly annoying. I'm loathe to go with anything else as the Pio has 7+1 HDMI inputs, one of the reasons I chose it. And... it sounds fantastic.

The issues come across as firmware related. I have the latest version. I rang Pioneer and they said they'll send details of the issues to Japan for investigation.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, stabbing in the dark a bit here, but I'd certainly take a careful look at your Input Set-Up for each component, double-checking that you've got the 12v trigger for the LFE engaged correctly and all the correct speakers engaged for your inputs. I suppose you'd need to look for a setting where you're asking the receiver to do two different things at once.

It might also be worth experimenting with a few different Listening Modes, just to see whether it's just that particular sound mode that'd making it perform differently to expected, or whether it's a consistent problem regardless. It just might help you narrow down the source of the problem.

Internet radio-wise, are you using the supplied remote, or are you using the AV control app? I use the app, and it makes internet radio a breeze. You select the input as HMG (Home Media Group) which introduces the options Internet Radio / Favourites / Recently Played. I've set-up favourites on mine, so selecting that lists the stations I've installed already. Or if I tap Internet Radio, it lists Genres / Countries / Podcasts etc etc.

Most of the glitches I experienced when I first had my receiver were simply set-up issues that were my own fault in the end. So take heart and persevere; I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, please share because I'm sure some poor soul will be about to go through the same experience as you!

leamingtonspaceman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Can u revert to an earlier sodtware or factory reset ? My only suggestion I'm afraid until someone else pipes up. Is the amp new or under guarantee? Good luck.

Thank you for replying.

I'm not sure if I can roll-back the software? I guess a factory reset would do that.

leamingtonspaceman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Hmmm, stabbing in the dark a bit here, but I'd certainly take a careful look at your Input Set-Up for each component, double-checking that you've got the 12v trigger for the LFE engaged correctly and all the correct speakers engaged for your inputs. I suppose you'd need to look for a setting where you're asking the receiver to do two different things at once.

It might also be worth experimenting with a few different Listening Modes, just to see whether it's just that particular sound mode that'd making it perform differently to expected, or whether it's a consistent problem regardless. It just might help you narrow down the source of the problem.

Internet radio-wise, are you using the supplied remote, or are you using the AV control app? I use the app, and it makes internet radio a breeze. You select the input as HMG (Home Media Group) which introduces the options Internet Radio / Favourites / Recently Played. I've set-up favourites on mine, so selecting that lists the stations I've installed already. Or if I tap Internet Radio, it lists Genres / Countries / Podcasts etc etc.

Most of the glitches I experienced when I first had my receiver were simply set-up issues that were my own fault in the end. So take heart and persevere; I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, please share because I'm sure some poor soul will be about to go through the same experience as you!

What a detailed and helpful post... thank you.

The issue with the speaker indicators freezing happens on all listening modes. I have no idea how to make sure the 12v trigger for the LFE is enabled???

I have Sky connected to my TV via HDMI and sound from co-ax. I use optical for my headphones. Initially I thought the issue was just Sky related. However, whilst watching an mkv file from my WDTV Live Hub the indicators also froze. The WDTV is connected directly to the amp via HDMI. When the indicators do freeze, switching listening modes 'unfreezes' them. On Sky, once the indicators have frozen with 5.1 lights lit, they stay lit even if I switch to a stereo TV channel.

I have front L/R, front wide L/R, surround L/R, centre and subwoofer speakers. I have speakers connected correctly and have the correct setting in the set-up (SB/FW).

With the Neo:X 'pop' when Sky switches from stereo to 5.1, someone on the AVforums has replicated this so it's a common issue between Sky and Neo:X.

Haven't tried using the control app for Internet radio but will try it out.

And I will definitely post with my findings on all these issues. I find it very frustrating when I find a forum with someone having an issue that I'm having and they then post "solved this now" with no explanation as to how.

Once more... thanks for your input so far guys.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
"The issue with the speaker indicators freezing happens on all listening modes. I have no idea how to make sure the 12v trigger for the LFE is enabled???"

I think it's worth investigating this a little further then. From the Home Menu of your receiver, select "System Setup" then "Input Setup".

You can arrow left or right to select each input of the receiver, then arrow down to adjust the settings for that particular source. One of these settings is the LFE (subwoofer) 12v trigger. I'm assuming that the system menu on your newer receiver is similar to mine and that your subwoofer has a separate 12v trigger lead going from the 12v trigger output of your receiver to a corresponding input on the back of your sub? If not, I could be barking up the wrong tree.

However it's still worth selecting each input and checking that the settings are correct. On this screen you can also select "Input Skip" for inputs that aren't being used by your receiver. This way if you ever use the large dial on the front of the receiver to scroll through your inputs, it will only show you the inputs that are actively in use and will skip those you've set as 'input skip'.

Hope some of the above may help, if nothing else, to familiarise yourself a little more with your new toy.

leamingtonspaceman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
"The issue with the speaker indicators freezing happens on all listening modes. I have no idea how to make sure the 12v trigger for the LFE is enabled???" I think it's worth investigating this a little further then. From the Home Menu of your receiver, select "System Setup" then "Input Setup". You can arrow left or right to select each input of the receiver, then arrow down to adjust the settings for that particular source. One of these settings is the LFE (subwoofer) 12v trigger. I'm assuming that the system menu on your newer receiver is similar to mine and that your subwoofer has a separate 12v trigger lead going from the 12v trigger output of your receiver to a corresponding input on the back of your sub? If not, I could be barking up the wrong tree. However it's still worth selecting each input and checking that the settings are correct. On this screen you can also select "Input Skip" for inputs that aren't being used by your receiver. This way if you ever use the large dial on the front of the receiver to scroll through your inputs, it will only show you the inputs that are actively in use and will skip those you've set as 'input skip'. Hope some of the above may help, if nothing else, to familiarise yourself a little more with your new toy.

I have no options on my menu for 'LFE 12v trigger.' Yes, I can go into the inputs as you describe but there is no setting for 12v trigger. In fact, the receiver doesn't appear to have a 12v trigger output on the rear (http://s.cdon.com/media-dynamic/images/product/electronics/electronics/image0/pioneer_vsx-923-k-23928576-xtra2.jpg). I simply have the sub attached in the usual way with one phono cable.

ukswitch

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
hey chaps need a little help if i may trouble you for a second =) i just bourght the vsx923 its great love it best av reciver ive ever had and ive had a few. but i have some cerwin vega ve 15fs in the basement for my home cinema and the sound is great but i need more power captain! the receiver gives a solid 150w per channel but my speakers are 400 watts rms 8ohms so im not even at half power i use my home cinema alot as a stereo system too i lov einternet radio and airplay alot music form my mac. question is can i add another amplifeir to increse the power and if so how do i do that ? or i only have 2 speakers and the receive is 7.1 channel i belive so can i bridge some channels so i could have double the power going to my 2 speakers and if so how do i do that ? any help at all would be helpful and hints or tips would be great i have tryed googleing for hours but seem to find any of the info i need thanks very much for your time best regards ukswitch

ukswitch

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
yes fl only you are correct thanks for the warm welocme i am still a little new to the high end side of av thanks for your reply can you help me solve my problem i want my speakers to rock the house at times but also give a good bass for movies how can i set up my amp to get the best out of it to suit my speakers and is it possable to add a seond stand alone pioneer amp and if so what watt amp should i buy???

BAMAVADER

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
leamingtonspaceman said:
I just recently bought a Pioneer VSX923. I've got a few issues with it though. I guess I'm just after finding out if anyone has any of these problems, or similar or if anyone can offer any advic

1. I've noticed that the amp speaker display light array 'freezes' occasionally when using any of the standard surround modes.

Any help would be appreciated.

:bounce::read: FINALLY SOMEONE WITH THIS PROBLEM...Are you still experiencing this and what was your solution? I have the Pioneer SC 1222 and it only occurs with the Comcast cable box over optical. I have never had this happen over any of my HDMI sources but none of those are cable boxes. I so hope you read this forum still, I am very interested in this and agree that it woould be fixed through a firmware update....thanks for postiing the original post.

Sincerely,

<><

Ronny Rabbelaar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Maybe i can contribute to a solution, i'm not saying this is it but it worked for me. Once upon a time......

Two weeks ago I bought a second hand vsx-923S, installed it last Friday, but during the weekend and the past week it’s reactions to the remote were slow or none at all.

After ruling out the kids and wife messing with the remote, i almost immediately suspected the satellite receiver or it’s remote

Sometimes it reacted to actions from the receiver/remote by showing channel information.

But this is the only way for us to watch tv channels, so I had to think about a way to test it without losing tv channels (wife and kids remember)

So at first I was avoiding it. Ruled out the LAN connection and displaying receiver info on tv settings ON and OFF.

Yesterday I disconnected the satellite receiver from the pioneer and connected it to a HDMI on the TV, audio bij ARC to the pioneer. Two thumbs up, it works fine now.

The SAT was connected to the HDMI-2, the SAT input. This was also the standard standby pass through. I have to say that the SAT was always on, the remote on/off does not work anymore.

So the pioneer was always working in standby pas through. When it was connected to the pioneer I noticed the 5.1 speakers were always illuminated, even LFE was and I chose the option 5.1 and no SUB.

Now through ARC only stereo front are illuminated.

Maybe I can do some more test in the future to determine the cause, but remember wife and kids, so timing is of the essence.

May be you could try a similar action on your set up, hope this was helpful.

other connections :

BD and WDTV through HDMI

DVD to COAX audio and video not rgb but the other one

XBOX classic analog in

Cd analog in is connected to a DAC which has a squeezebox on the COAX input.

I’m not using the internet radio or streaming (NAS) on de pioneer, I use the squeezebox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts