Pioneer SC-LX72 versus 82, Onkyo 808/1008, Denon 3311

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one of the above amps (or comparable ones) would be recommendable? I am aware that the Onkyo and Denons have HDMI 1.4, whilst the Pioneers do not. However, 3D TV is not such a big deal for me, so I am more concerned about sound quality (in Stereo as well as Surround modes) and picture quality.

For now the speakers will be the B&W MT30 (i.e. M1 speakers with the PV1 sub), but I am thinking of either using my B&W 601 S3 or getting some System Audio SA1750 or System Audio Mantra 60 as the stereo speakers.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You would do well with the 1008 - we set ours up at the weekend and it is a beast. The SC-LX72 is now a 73 and will give you LX82 sound with 1.4 etc. The Pio may be a better bet with the B&W's , try to arrange a listen if you can.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And we've got a group test coming up of amps at this price point in our November issue - which, despite its title, goes on sale on 17th September...

We've also got a First Test review of the Pioneer SC-LX73 in our next, October issue - on sale August 24th.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies! After deliberating for a little while I went for the Pioneer LX-82. Not only did I get it for a good price I think (just north of £900, which after all is some £500 less than the LX73 of the Onkyo 1008) but I also tested its ability to pass through a 3D signal from a Samsung bluray player to a Samsung 3D TV which seemed to work just fine. I guess I will have to do without Audio return though :)

I have not had a chance to hook things up yet, but I am quite eager to hear what the B1's sound like with the new toy. And I am still curious about the System Audio floorstanders - or perhaps you have some other recommendations for great (mainly stereo) speakers which are somewhat "girlfriend friendly" in their design, i.e. sleek and modern. Ideally up to some £1000 for the pair, perhaps a little more if it makes a big difference.

Cheers!

PS: I look forward to reading your upcoming test!! Whilst hoping that the new gear will be great, I keep my fingers crossed that there will be no regrets from my side.... :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

And we've got a group test coming up of amps at this price point in our November issue - which, despite its title, goes on sale on 17th September...

We've also got a First Test review of the Pioneer SC-LX73 in our next, October issue - on sale August 24th.

That will be interesting
emotion-21.gif
that will be the first review since the 71 should be good to see if you think things have changed much.

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have just bought the onkyo 808 and i am extremely impressed. The sound is not typical onkyo,it has fantastic balanced treble a nice solid attack that stays controlled without being overpowering and for the first time in onkyo history, a fantastic mid range. I am using mordaunt short aviano 8 front aviano 5 centre aviano 6 rears and a teufel thx sub.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MrRookie: Thanks for the replies! After deliberating for a little while I went for the Pioneer LX-82. Not only did I get it for a good price I think (just north of £900, which after all is some £500 less than the LX73 of the Onkyo 1008) but I also tested its ability to pass through a 3D signal from a Samsung bluray player to a Samsung 3D TV which seemed to work just fine. I guess I will have to do without Audio return though :)

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the LX82 - it's a cracking amplifier.

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

MrRookie: Thanks for the replies! After deliberating for a little while I went for the Pioneer LX-82. Not only did I get it for a good price I think (just north of £900, which after all is some £500 less than the LX73 of the Onkyo 1008) but I also tested its ability to pass through a 3D signal from a Samsung bluray player to a Samsung 3D TV which seemed to work just fine. I guess I will have to do without Audio return though :)

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the LX82 - it's a cracking amplifier.

How are you getting on with yours David?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

Clare did you mean the 53? or did you get the wrong month?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

I just purchased the October issue - however I only saw a review of the Pioneer LC53 - did I miss something?

Cheers,

Ross

A

Anonymous

Mr Rookie,

I'm in similar predicament - can I enquire where you got the LC82 for north of £900?

Cheers,

Ross

A

Anonymous

Hi Ross,

Indeed, I settled for the LX82 in the end, around £950 - after some negotiating I have to admit... they wanted £1,300 for it!

I have not had a chance to set things up properly yet, as I am still trying to get the flat sorted out. But I can hardly wait!!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts