Pioneer SCLX 82 vs Arcam FMJ P7 with either Rotel 1570 or Onkyo SC 5508 or 5507

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got an Oppo 83 SE going analogue into an Arcam AV350 (acting as a pre) and then onto a Arcam FMJ P7. My Speakers are PMC FB1+'s and TB1+'s (5.1).

The set-up has never sounded great (an older, cheaper Arcam set-up in a different room sounds a lot better with the same FB1's) and via a borrowed room equalizer/measurement I've realised its the room (lots of glass) causing the bad sound. I've also got mis-sync'd speech and no way to delay on the the Oppo.

So time to upgrade the Pre! With a budget of 1-2k the Onkyo SC 5507 (now 5508) attached to my P7 looked a good bet with good room correction etc (however it seems to have a lot of bells and whistles I'll never use). My local dealer only has Av888 (out of my price range) or a Rotel 1570 (know nothing about).

Any thoughts on the 5507/8? Any other Pre's I should consider?

The other option is to get a Pioneer SCLX -82 (which with the 83 out now is in a few shops at £1.2k and seems a bargain plus well reviewed) - I could sell the P7 then, but is that a backward step? I get all the tech I need on the 82 (room correction, HD) without paying for things I don't need (9.1, network), but is it going to sound good with my PMC's?

A

Anonymous

Another thought - Given the Onkyo 5508 is now replacing the 5507, does anyone know where I could pick up a discounted 5507? Or should I just get that Pioneer anyway....

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure about the other components. Took delivery ov my lx82 a couple of months back. The room eq is (mcacc) incredible. I have just created a new lounge and it is a nightmare with oak flooring and lots of glass- mirrors and windows, no pictures 2 leather sofas and 1 rug that takes up about 1/3 of the floor space. The sound before i did the mcacc was bright, harsh and had no warmth to it at all. The calibration was spot on(sparing a few tweaks thanks to other forum members) The only problem is......with so many options you cant stop tweaking!!!!

A

Anonymous

Marantz are bring out a new pre amp could be worth a look

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. Neither are available yet, but the Onkyo PRSC5508 and the Marantz AV7005 look to be two of the best value processors out there. The main benefit of the Onkyo would be it's THX processing, if that is required.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the feedback very grateful. I've found somewhere that might let me demo the Pioneer 83 this weekend to get the ghist of that. The Marantz 7005 sounds a very interesting proposition but looks like I'm going to have to wait at least a month for it (which might mean all the offers on the 82 and 5507 have disappeared by then). Whilst I don't need a THX badge on the front of it, I would be keen to know it hasn't lost the quality of sound from the 8003. I hope the 7005 matches the 8003 for quality, (with Marantz justifying to itself through launching a more bells and whistles 8005 version)?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Whether a unit has a THX badge on the front or not, that won't directly affect it's quality.

We are pushing to find out for quite a few of our customers if there will be a direct replacement for the AV8003, or whether the AV7005 will be the only processor in the range.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
flyfisher:
Any other Pre's I should consider?

I am thinking on similar lines about what Pre would be best in 1K-2K range. It looks none is readily available but I am also considering Denon AVR 4311 as it seems to have almost everything including Preamp mode. Probably Worth a consideration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts