Onkyo PR-SC 886 vs Yamaha RX-V3900, Rotel RSX-1550 and Pioneer SC-LX81

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Clare and the whole team at WHFSV,

I'm about to replace my ageing Marantz SR-7300 A/V Receiver. Not only because I'd like to make the step towards the new HD codecs, but also because I've been using the Marantz as a processor (I've got an Arcam A32 with a 5.1 multi-channel board fitted + a 3-channel Arcam P90 for amplification).

Considering that audio is to me a priority, I was looking for a dedicated pre-amp processor at a sensible price (I mean less than £2000). And there came the Onkyo PR-SC 886 (copy-cat of the Onkyo Pro 885 in the US, released more than a year ago!).

But now, after having read once again what you've been saying about the Yamaha, as well as the Pionneer for a couple of issues now(yes, I'm yet another faithful subscriber), I was wondering whether I might be better off with these two, even though the channels of amplification in both cases would be useless to me.

In short, even if a dedicated pre-amp processor would a better option for audio, at least on paper, do you think the Yamaha or the Pionneer could beat the Onkyo in that respect (not to mention video upscaling)?

And what about the Rotel RSX-1550?

I'm really looking forward to your answer and would be extremely grateful for your help.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Don't count out the Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier. I have got one, partnered to a NAD Masters Series M25 7-channel Power Amplifier, and am happy with it.

I have gone down the A/V Receiver serving as a Pre-Amp before, and much prefer the 'purist' fully-separates route.

A

Anonymous

Hello Dantan,

I agree with you 100%. But you see, the Marantz pr‚-amp processor is beyond my budget. I just wanted to know how the Onkyo PR-SC 886 pre-amp processor behaved, compared to intergrated A/V amps costing more or less the same.

I would have been glad to get some insight from WHSV, but I guess I'll have to wait for the review of the aforementioned Onkyo or a group test (who knows). Are you guys planning to review the Onkyo processor?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Thks

A

Anonymous

Hi mate,

Sorry, I am from Australia, and don't know what the recommended retail prices (RRP) are exactly over there.

Personally, I would recommend going for a dedicated Surround Sound Processor/Pre-Amplifier; I don't think I could go back to an A/V Receiver/Amplifier serving Pre-Amp duties and mated to a dedicated Power Amplifier.

The Onkyo '886 would be a very good unit, I would say. I don't think it is too different to an Integra DHC9.9, which is very well-equipped and looks to be a very good unit.

I don't like the idea of having internal amplification that remains unused but that no doubt still causes some form of interference with the sensitive pre-amplification stage.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts