Pioneer Plasma Image Retention.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

arashid:

If your contrast and brightness are set to very low then it seems to be an issue....

leaving a mess all over the screen is very strange and I have not seen this with the 2 pioneers I owned 435xde and 436 xde

Contrast and brightness have both been set at the lowest level with Power save option switched on, this made no difference to the level of IR.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
IMHO it sounds like you have a duff set there, I had a very simular issue with the first Samsung I bought when upgrading from my old Series 5 Panasonic plaz. On the whole the Samsung looked fine but when you watched something with very dark backgrounds and say a person moving you could clearly see IR almost like ghosting of where the person had previously been, it was even worse when switching from a bright sceene to a dark one. I also noticed on mine that the right 3rd of the screen was slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. Turned out the be a faulty screen but worked out well for me as Samsung replaced it with a better set
emotion-19.gif

Personally if I were you I would demand RS either replace your set or get a engineer to come and inspect yours.

A

Anonymous

This won't make you feel any better but I've had my LX5090 for a couple of days now with no IR problems at all.

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:I also noticed on mine that the right 3rd of the screen was slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. Turned out the be a faulty screen but worked out well for me as Samsung replaced it with a better set
emotion-19.gif

Personally if I were you I would demand RS either replace your set or get a engineer to come and inspect yours.

D.J. KRIME - I also have that problem, but it is on the left hand of the screen, infact on closer inspection, the top half of the screen is actually lighter than the bottom, it is quite clear too. It's like a faded white snowy image that will not leave the screen. I am almost certain now, that I have a faulty set.

Beaverme - I don't like you lol

The reason why I am also a bit annoyed with RS, is because when I originally phoned and told them about the problem, their was response was one of concern and told me IR should defintely not be a problem with the 5090. Yet, when I got to the store, it was all fine and perfectly normal, I'll repeat exactly what I was told from RS in Middlesborough.

"Don't worry, Image Retention is perfectly normal for this Plasma"

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Davey1984:
Well, not perfect but it should really perform a little better than it currently is.

Anyways, Put the disc with Seasonal Forests and Deep Ocean in from Planet Earth, go to the darker scene where their filming at the bottom of the ocean. It's where them weird fish are filmed against a pitch black back drop of the ocean. This is where I have noticed really bad IR. Let me know what settings you have your set on and see if you can any IR or bad image smearing. The stingrays were especially bad on mine, I mean it was stunning at first because they virtually popped out of the screen due to amazing black level which is for the best thing about the Pioneer, but they left a mess all over the screen. Anything with long tentacles would leave IR all over my screen. My contrast is actually set to it's lowest level with the brightness tones down aswell. No lights either :)

Apologize for the late reply. - No problems with those scenes. It really seems you have a faulty one.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Davey1984:

D.J. KRIME - I also have that problem, but it is on the left hand of the screen, infact on closer inspection, the top half of the screen is actually lighter than the bottom, it is quite clear too. It's like a faded white snowy image that will not leave the screen. I am almost certain now, that I have a faulty set.

Beaverme - I don't like you lol

The reason why I am also a bit annoyed with RS, is because when I originally phoned and told them about the problem, their was response was one of concern and told me IR should defintely not be a problem with the 5090. Yet, when I got to the store, it was all fine and perfectly normal, I'll repeat exactly what I was told from RS in Middlesborough.

"Don't worry, Image Retention is perfectly normal for this Plasma"

IR is not normal nor is it acceptible and if like I had you also have these issues with a aera of the screen clearly being lighter then IMHO your screen needs replacing. If on a blank white screen on mine I could also notice red dots (like mosquito noise) in the upper right of my screen. Got a Samsung engineer out who confirmed the screen was fubar and got my retailer to replace it with a new set.

As I said if I were you I would not stand for it and demand a replacement or refund as the shop staff who IMHO either don't know what they are talking about or they are clearly trying to fob you off.

A

Anonymous

I got a pio krp500-a on monday (not exactly the same screen I know) but I don't have a single issue with IR at all, tried with all types of video. Definately sounds like a problem considering the amount of time run in and the severity of the IR.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AlexDB:I got a pio krp500-a on monday (not exactly the same screen I know) but I don't have a single issue with IR at all, tried with all types of video. Definately sounds like a problem considering the amount of time run in and the severity of the IR.

thank god for that, I've got one of those coming soon!

A

Anonymous

I'll be going back to RS either tomorrow or Tuesday. I nearly lost my temper on Saturday and had to leave. I explained what I was experiencing with my 5090 again and the Junior Sales rep started out with "well, sir, let me tell you how a Plasma screen works". Cheeky ******. So, I asked for an opinion of the manager, he was also trying to fob me off. Unbelievable. I asked to see the other 5090 they had in stock, but I was told it wasn't possible to view that set. Not until I brought my set in for testing. I have had 2 other owners to see my set recently, both have said the IR is clearly unacceptable. End credits leave big white streak marks as they move up the screen.

Another thing is their now expecting me to bring the Pioneer through to them! I told them, how do they expect me to fit the 5090 in the back of a SLK compressor lol It looks like I am going to have to get in touch with Head Office, because it clearly states in my warranty, that there is Home pick up for any screen over 32". RS were helpful when I first phoned and admitted it sounded like I had a problem, then they completely changed.

It's actually possible, to notice IR from 3 different shots all in once scene. Yesterday, I could actually see the the 5090 display(tells what source and resolution is on) info at the top right, the Denon logo which comes up when switching on my 2500bt and the 20th century fox sign, seriously all in one shot.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Looks like your conundrum is going to be resolved according to RS official reply on another forum. Try and persevere with another 5090 (or KRP though I have to say I dont see any difference and they seem to have their fair share of unique problems too, as almost any tv).

If you're completely fed-up try one of Samsungs high-end LED/LCD's. I just watched one earlier and have to say that particular 50" was mightily impressive and not far behind the Kuro on film material and exceeding it with regards to brightness. SD did'nt look to hot though, even considering its a large set.

A

Anonymous

I know I just read that and replied too. I am not fed up, just a little dissapointed. I am quite intent on sticking with the 5090, so a replacement would be fine. I had a demo of the 5090 when it first arrived in the UK. I also have been to a few friends houses who own the 5090. It is a stunning set, It's my number 1 choice.

Infact, RS have just gave me a ring and within 2 mins, they are replacing my set for a new one :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts