that cr*p. Ive played with EVERY setting and found the best setting is
switch the lot off)

Colour management I found to be useless so leave them ALL at default
zero (Changing any of them resulted in bad settings for greyscale that
I couldnt manage to compensate for)

PS3 ~

Contrast 39

Brightness 5

Colour 1 (Colour could be seriously different depending on setup)

Colourspace 2

Gamma 3

Red High 1

Green High -3

Blue High -8

Red Low -13

Green Low -9

Blue Low -10

Pioneer dvd LX50 (Contrast lowered to minus 6 on dvd player. Gamma to lowest setting on dvd player)~

Contrast 44

Brightness 1

Colour -4

Colourspace 2

Gamma 3

Red High 5

Green High 3

Blue High -6

Red Low -6

Green Low -3

Blue Low -1

For now ive set my freeview the same as my PS3 settings as nothing was
set differently through that and the greyscale is near perfect

I sure hope these settings help someone
emotion-2.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Out of interest which software have you used? I ask as I too have a Spyder 3 and have found the included software a little basic.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
No problem (Their software is a bit pap ~ which one did you buy? Pro, Elite, TV?)

I used THIS

Install it and simply copy over the 'spyder3.dll' file over to the HCFR created folder and run it

Its AWESOME for free. You need a greyscale (Also present on that link)

I found best was was to follow THIS GUYS advice ~

Put the spyder over the greyscale and set to 80% and get the RGB levels right. Then do the same for 20 or 30%

Then run a full greyscale meaurement to get the GAMMA scale. Your looking to get gamma as close as possible to 2.2 (Easier said than done
emotion-4.gif
), as well as a true greyscale throughout

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Thatll work fine with the program (So long as you havnt UPDATED it)

And yes ~ I have the TV one too. I find it very poor as a package (But then I only wanted the sensor anyways)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I did find the initial results rather dark and the software somewhat basic.

Is the software you have used easy to use? as one thing I did like with the Spyder software was it was very easy to use. I am ******** if I could get the probe to stick onto the screen for more than a couple of seconds at a time using the suction cup tho.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Well the software LOOKS very difficult but in fact its VERY easy once youve got your head around what to do

As I said, you need to copy the .dll' file over for the software to recognise the spyder 3 (If you cant do that it just wont work)

The problem with the spyder 3 (In fact most sensors), is that it cant accurately read black levels and so it pretty much makes the TV software useless (Which is why your screen doesnt look right)

I know the link to the guide I provided looks quite complicated but thats only because hes gone into great detail about it

Basics are goto NEW and set to SET USING A DVD and use the SPYDER 3

Click the green arrow at the top and the spyder constantly takes readings every few seconds

Set the GREYSCALE disc to 80%

goto the menu (Assuming it HAS these settings in its menu?) and find the colour settings Red, Green and Blue HIGH and the same but LOW

Play about with the HIGH settings until all 3 are equal (theres a red, green and blue scale bottom left)

Then set greyscale to 30% and set the LOW settings

Then press the symbol 5 steps to the left of the green arrow (Looks like a loads of balls curving upwards)

It will ask you to set to 0% and click ok. So simply do that and for all 10 % increments upto 100%

Then you click the GAMMA screen to see how far off 2.2 you are

Then you need to change all the settings to get the gamma scale as close as possible to 2.2 whilst keeping the greyscale intact

To do this ~

If the ACTUAL scale is UNDER the gamma then you need to LOWER the RGB settings and vice versa for if its HIGHER

(You may need to change the GAMMA on the tv itself too, most are set WAY too high by default)

Any questions feel free to ask :)

ooooo ~ not very hygenic I know, but I lick the sucker before squeezing it into place (Managed to stick it to my plasma tv, 2 monitors and my laptop screen thus far)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have downloaded the software and am going to have a go later tonight, I just hope this copying the dll file over is easy as I am not exactly briliant on PC's
emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Literally go and find the 'spyder3.dll' file. RIGHT click and COPY

Then go browse for the 'COLOURHCFR' folder and right click and PASTE into there

Jobs a topper

If the file doesnt work (If you update you can have problems apparantly), let me know and ill upload the file somewhere for you to download from that WILL work
emotion-21.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Jobs a topper

If the file doesnt work (If you update you can have problems apparantly), let me know and ill upload the file somewhere for you to download from that WILL work
emotion-21.gif

Where do I find the spyder3.dll file? I have searched the spyder files and can't find it
emotion-7.gif

Also which test paterns did you use?

And Drummerman I got my Spyder 2nd hand from a friend well before I had even heard of any of these other sensors.

I have also found the calman software but cant get that to reconigse the spyder.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Jobs a topper

emotion-21.gif

Where do I find the spyder3.dll file? I have searched the spyder files and can't find it
emotion-7.gif

Also which test paterns did you use?

And Drummerman I got my Spyder 2nd hand from a friend well before I had even heard of any of these other sensors.

I have also found the calman software but cant get that to reconigse the spyder.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure about the file. I'll have to check my laptop next time its on

The test pattern was from PATTERNS dvd from the link ~

PATTERNS DVD

Once burned to disc you select PLASMA and i forgets the exact route but you need to get the screen with the greyscales from 0% to 100% and the primary and secondary colours. Make sure you select PLASMA as only a small central square wants to be showing the grey or colour at a time.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Have now downloaded the DVD test paterns and also the BD version tho the test paterns on the BD version are somewhat odd as they all constantly flash
emotion-7.gif

Would be highly appreciated if you can guide me to the location of the dll file as I have done a serch of my HDD on the pc and can't find it.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I downloaded it about 6 month ago and it doesnt flash for me (Its possible theyve changed it mind)

My apologies but ive not yet managed to get round to my laptop yet. Working 12 hour shifts put me off looking on my laptop last night.

Might have a browse tonight

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It is only the HD one that flashes, managed to successfully download the DVD test paterns and it quite cool how for the grey scale they have a central box rather than the standart screen split into 10 bands.

I am now using a laptop with Vista and cant find out how to access the datacolor program file to extract the spyder3.dll file as that must be where it is hiding right? (I take it that the dll file is the driver software for the spyder probe?)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I ment the HD one.

The central box on the dvd is ideal as no plasma can produce a completely true greyscale in full screen but can easily manage the box

Im suprised you cant find the file so it maybe that youve updated the program via the internet at some point?

The file can be found thus ~

C/PROGRAM FILES/ SPYDER 3 TV/ spyder3.dll

If its not there I would suggest uninstalling the program and reinstalling

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
BINGO! found the file and have successfuly copy/pasted it into the HCFR software which to be honest looks quite daunting
emotion-7.gif

I am going to have a good read through that guys directions you posted a link to earlier then have a play about. Does the software tell you what changes to make or is it a case of trial and error regarding adjustments?

On a differant note have you ever managed to get your spyder to successfully stick to your screen with the supplied suction cup as the longest I can get it to stay inplace using the suction cup is about 20 secs
emotion-12.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
haha

I was slightly baffled as to how you couldnt find it
emotion-4.gif

It does LOOK daunting but its actually very easy. Theres no instructions im afraid.

Simplest instructions are the ones I posted myself on the 1st page.

Just play about and see how you do

Basics are ~

Start by selecting FILE and NEW and DVD MANUAL and SPYDER3 (Once settings are made you can save them though, so you could store hundreds of settings if you wanted)

GREEN ARROW to read using the spyder 'on the fly'

HOVER over the different icons to read what they do. Just underneath 'window' is the greyscale measurement. Click that and follow the simple instructions of starting from 0% with 10% increments upto true white

This will give you the complete greyscale reading

Press the green arrow and change the RED, GREEN and BLUE HIGH settings for 80% until theyre all equal. Then set the LOW settings for 30%

Read the entire greyscale again and goto the GAMMA reading. You want as close as you can get to '2.2' on the gamma scale

Raising the RGB will LOWER the gamma and vice versa.

Once you have the best settings you can get goto 'measure primary and secondary colours' and follow the simple instructions (Starts by reading true RED)

I couldnt get mine any better than they are so left them alone

To set brightness and contrast properly id suggest copying THESE TWO images (BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST) to a memory stick and use your PS3 to set them as good as you can (Basically ALL squares apart from the extreme ZERO and 254 should be visible)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As I said before ~ I physically lick the spyder and push firmly to hold it in place (Managed to hold on 2 monitors, my pioneer plasma and the laptop im typing on now)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts